Author Topic: Obedience dogs - most definitely not robots!!  (Read 1650 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Obedience dogs - most definitely not robots!!
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »
I know probably few, if any, folks on the forum have the misconception about dogs in high level obedience being "robots" without personalities or a sense of fun.  But it's opinion I've come across more than once and something that was thoroughly disproved this weekend!

I volunteered to be a steward (aka ring helper) at the club's Show 'n Go, which are "practice" trials where people run their dogs through the steps to see how they do and what they or their dogs need to work on.   The majority of the obedience dogs were having so much fun!  One would give this happy bark every time it "finished" (came back to heel position) and others got to play with a toy in between test items to celebrate a job well done.  I'm not sure if these things are disallowed at "formal" trials but it made it quite obvious that all these pups thought it was great fun to work with their owners. 

There were a smattering of "old school" trainers around - a woman who lifted her springer spaniel up by it's collar to about shoulder height for breaking it's long sit/stay, another who lamented no being able to go further in obedience because she didn't have the heart to pinch her dog's ear to get a good retrieve - but overall people seemed to be focused on having fun with their dogs and it was quite obvious the dogs felt the same way!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Obedience dogs - most definitely not robots!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »
That's what I like to see...that they are having fun and not being forced to do it. Sounds like fun!
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
that sounds like a fun time. 
Joyce

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:45 AM »
Oh and I came early to see the agility show 'n goers - one little aussie got a case of the zoomies as soon as it was released and started burning in circles instead of doing the course, lol!  The owner just leashed her back up and decided to try again during the next round.  Another dog veered off in the middle of the course to go say hello to a cute dog at the bottom of the stands.  Gave me "visions" of what my first couple attempts w/Dash are likely to be like!   :laugh4:  Everyone couldn't help but laugh or smile, 'cause the dogs were obviously having a grand time!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
That would be so cute to watch.  Just like kids at their first soccer game or dance recital.  Attention span not too long.
Joyce

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:17:25 AM »
That's sounds like a FUN job to have for an afternoon!  I envy you haveing events like that so close by! 
I watched a dog show on TV for a while yesterday (Animal Planet) and they had a reporter asking the public if they had a question about things going on at the show.  One kid asked, 'what do you do if your dog poops in the ring during it's show?'  It was funny that they showed a bunch of shots of different dogs doing a #2 right in the ring!  (they blurred out the poop though :laugh4:).  A couple of the judges said it didn't affect their opinion of the dog, they were there to look for conformation, not the occassional 'nature's call mishap!'  :laugh4: They showed the crowd's reaction and most everyone giggles and some go 'oh no'!
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
Well in obedience (I think agility too) it's a DQ to have a dog eliminate in the ring, but apparently no so much in conformation!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »
LOL

You should see the Obedience and Agility trials at ABC. . . A room full of boxers especially tends to make life. . . Interesting. . .

:laugh4:
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »
Oh yeah, I'll bet!  Hoping I have a chance to see next year!  Isn't there an award they give out, named after some boxer dog who was infamously misbehaved at the ABC?  I think Renee mentioned it a while back, sounded like a fun award to see "earned"   :laugh4:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »
SOunds like a great time.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&