Author Topic: this video is unreal  (Read 1512 times)

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
this video is unreal
« on: September 12, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
http://leerburg.com/flv/video.php?id=17 (30 mins)

I've been devouring this website the past few days.  lots of free training articles and excellent info.  The trainer mirrors my philosophy on dog training.

I can't imagine having a dog trained as well as in the video  :eek:  I realize it's a competition, but talk about having the dogs complete attention!   :smitten:

Lauren

• Vet Checked
Re: this video is unreal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 02:03:07 PM »
Wow!!!  Of course, I couldn't watch all 30 minutes, but the parts that I did get to see were amazing!!!!
Owned by:

Photobucket

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:27:55 PM »
Grammie,

What you need to remember about training, is that dogs like shepherds and border collies were bred to take direction from a human. Boxers on the other hand were bred to think for themselves, that is why they were used as messenger dogs in the wars, they were able to figure things out themselves without having a human tell them what to do every second.

This isnt saying that shepherds or collies are any less than boxers, quite the opposite, it takes a lot of self control to do what you are told rather than what you want. Just wanted you to recognize that boxers are different, therefore the typical methods used to train shepherds/collies need to be adjusted for boxers and other dogs that were bred to work without supervision (most mastiff breeds ;) )

Just means you have to be smarter ;)  than shepherd/collie trainers,
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:19:15 PM »

Just means you have to be smarter ;)  than shepherd/collie trainers,

lol I don't think that's possible!  these damn dogs are too clever for me :)  I did think about using a dose of their own medicine on them when they won't heel.  Stop them cold and give them the SAME stare down they give me when they want something ;)  And like them, not let up until i get it!

rac.cul

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:13:23 AM »
dianna i am sorry you still have issues with thor did you find a proper harness

i hope time and training will fix him :thumbsup:
rachel

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 12:20:28 AM »
hi rache.  for now I'm still working with the prong for short walks.  Hulk has been giving me some good tips b/c hulk is alot like thor.  she recommends the halti or no pull harness.

things have been very hectic this week and it's HOT again, but some things have gotten accomplished personally, so I'll be able to devote more time to a regiment this coming week.  Will try the halti that claire gave me again then.

hulk gave excellent advice - the walk is WORK not play time.  I'm going to take thor midday on a walk without vetty and concentrate on him being a working dog individually.  We did that the other day and you should have seen frantic vetty at the windows wanting to know wth her brother was!  :lmao: