Author Topic: Rally with Anja at Nationals  (Read 1189 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Rally with Anja at Nationals
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Renee sent me the videos and I finally had a puppy-free moment to upload them.  The playlist put them in reverse order for some reason, the running order was Rally Advanced then Rally Excellent each day.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0483CD5BF8112DDC

It's funny, seeing it on video actually looks a lot more tame than how it felt to handle her.  It feels like driving a freight train without a license.   :yes: :dizzy2: As we progress, we start to sync a little more, I start using the correct commands more, and she looks for Renee less and less.  Renee says Anja clearly thought it was a riot to work with me.  :mad:

My last run had one major goof - at the second to last sign, we are supposed to do a double about turn and I tell her "around" - Renee uses "fuss" (pronounced "fous") for both heel and for coming around/right finishes.  Anja starts jumping at me to tell me off for being unclear.  As soon as I say fuss, she completes the exercise beautifully.  ::)

Two things Anja did wonderfully for me both days were her stands (something Renee said she wasn't very consistent on, so was very impressed I got from her) and her down (PLOTZ! so fun to say!).  :cool:

I'm pretty sure Renee got everything she wanted out of pairing us up - She didn't have to figure out the signs (they are a pain sometimes!), she got 2 RAE legs on her dog, and I learned a LOT.  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Rally with Anja at Nationals
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »
WOW!! Anja looks like sooooo much fun to handle!! Whatta great opportunity! I just love that girl! I was curious what Renee's motive was for switching handlers.  Sucha difference even in your handling from RA on Saturday to RE on Sunday. You both look much more relaxed and more insync. (even with those new Rally signs - btw, what do you think of them? Lots of people I know (Rally life-timers) seem to hate them, but I love em!)

Well done to both of you and congrats on 2 RAE legs!!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
The only one I didn't like is the one I messed up after the double about. I was so thrown by my command goof that I forgot there was a down in it.  It is the only sign I've encountered where you have to leave it and still have like 3 steps left to do.  Definitely not a "hop in the ring and fake it" sign!

I think Renee's main motive was to challenge me. She likes throwing stuff at me to see if I can handle it.  And since Rally isn't her main objective, she lost nothing by handing her off.  If she weren't trying to rank in agility this year, I might have even been able to run her then too! That would have been really wild, considering I only took a handful of agility classes several years ago!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
That's awesome that Renee is willing to push you. She knows you have the potential. :thumbsup: And I think that's a great honor to be able to run Anja, even if it's more your benefit than her's. I have to say, at the club, I love taking other people's dogs in the ring (during classes or open ring sessions, not in trials). I love that challenge of trying to work with a dog you're not familiar with....and that's with treats for extra encouragement. To do it without treats, really says something. The funny thing is watching people try to take Grady....won't do a thing with them as he's too busy looking for me.

I didn't see it in your runs, but I have trouble with the sit your dog, walk away and then down your dog, then call to heel. We can perform it ok....it's just me remembering what the heck the sign says when I walk away to call to front. LOL I do fine with double uturn....but those damn signs where you walk away and have to remember what the heck they said to do as your standing there, looking at your dog and they're sitting there waiting for you to tell em what to do....nervewracking for me! LOL

I think you guys did great and it's really cool to see your growth going in with no real practice before hand, to seeing you both do so well at the end. Well done! Felt good, didn't it?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
Yeah, even my warm ups didn't really have treats because she's not that treat driven.  And on Sunday she was a little hot, so Renee didn't even want me to warm her up until we were next in the ring! Renee made a point of walking by when we were warming up and making me keep Anja's focus.  Not an easy thing! 

I haven't really got to run other people's dogs, but Xena would work for anyone with food so my trainer would take her to demo things for me all the time.  Dash too, when he went to her for a couple private sessions.  I suspect the next one will be the same way - a little food 'ho!  :laugh4:

That sign you mentioned is the one I had at the very end of the Excellent run on Sunday - I was standing in front of a "call dog to heel" sign, so that's what I did!  Completely forgot to down her.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
Nice JOB! It's always a challenge and learning experience running someone else's dog. You guys looked great. :thumbsup:
I have run my friends BC at a trial before. She's FAST and normally wins a competitive 20" class. Def a learning experience but also sooo much fun.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08