Author Topic: Heeling differences  (Read 820 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Heeling differences
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I have trained all my dogs to know at least basic obed commands and even further.

Titan was trained and competed in obed and got his CGC & CD . He loved training and got his CD in 4 attepmts . We trained at home in public , at friends houses and in training facilities . He also knew lots of hand signals .

Edy has trained with me at home and taken conf classes at different training centers .

Remy has had conf classes at training centers but obed at home with me .

I have recently noticed that Remy is the only boxer I have had that will look at me just about the whole time we are heeling , he will look away here and there but mostly looks up at my face . He bounces along at my side all excited .

Edy will heel but she is always looking around , she will look up at me when we stop and sometimes when I talk to her but mostly looks around .

Titan was always looking around ,he also only watched me when we stopped and he sat .

I have to say that I really like the fact that he watches me so intently as we heel . I have always been jealous of those who have dogs who heel so nicely while looking up at their owners .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Heeling differences
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
That is great.  Precious only looks at me when we stop and then her expression is like come on let's go.   :thumbsup: :smitten:
Joyce

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
I've always been envious of the focussed heeling as well. When I brought Grady home, he was already doing it most of the time, which I thought was interesting. When we got to classes, it really made it easy for us to build focus...he was already doing it, lol. He's just been too easy to train that kinda stuff. Rubi, on the other hand, will check in only if I call her, but we're working on that. Not much. But a lil bit.

Each dog is definitely different but it may also be that you're gettin better at it too.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
That is how Willie is...very focused on me the whole walk.  I like it!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:58:33 AM »
There is a great DVD titled "Focused Heeling" by Michael Ellis that does a great job explaining and demonstrating how to get dogs to do that.  I don't consider my dogs to be heeling correctly unless they are looking at my face.  Mukki did it from the start using Michael Ellis' methods, seems to naturally want to now, but Koda was taught to heel a different way before I got that DVD and has much less focus than Mukki while heeling, though he is improving.

http://leerburg.com/223.htm
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10