Author Topic: Bella, Bella, Bella  (Read 1967 times)

debella

• Weanling
Bella, Bella, Bella
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
Well our 2nd year of showing is over.  We ended up with our Beg Nov Title and one leg of our CD.  I really thought we  would get our CD title by Oct. shows, but Bella had other plans.  We almost got our 2nd leg Labor day week end and we would have one the class that day. Went in for sits and downs and she decided to urinate in the ring.  I could see the judges face, she really felt bad for us.  She was doing great with that, but it was a really hot day and she must have had too much water.  Well now she not only goes before our class, but if we get to sits and downs I make her go again.  Ok so I learned something there.  Next show.  The focus gone!!  I dont know what happened.  She is back to her not focusing.  So we are back to square one. Again.  Trainer has moved so have been searching for a new one.   Severeral people have suggested a trainer that has done very well will various breeds and has 16 perfect 200 obed scores.  Her name is Diane Bauman.  Our first training session is this Sunday, Can't wait.  Hope she can shed some light on what I am doing wrong or is Bella just trying to tell me forget it Im not into this.  Will see.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Bella, Bella, Bella
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
Sorry no suggestions, good luck
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
Isn't Bella still fairly young? 2ish?  If so, I'd expect some inconsistency and backslides from lack of maturity.

I know I've heard Diane Bauman's name but I can't place her face so I don't believe I've seen her compete.  I'd imagine she is pretty good at training if she can teach Afghans.  Haven't heard anything about her (people) teaching abilities.

What focus work are you doing these days?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

debella

• Weanling
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »
Bella just turned 4 in August.  This is why Im so baffled.  She is so good in class and matches, but shows cant seem to be consistant.  Will see tomorrow.  I cant wait to go to our new training sessions. 

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
Are YOU consistent at shows? Your "routine", mood/nerves, etc?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

debella

• Weanling
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
Just got back from training with our new trainer.  I am very optimistic about our future.  I felt very good about what we learned today and found out what I have been doing wrong and it makes so much sense.  We had a great first lesson and have some homework to work on.  I do believe we are on the right track.  Will post updates on our progress.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
Even at 4yo, it's easy to have set backs in results. You just have to go backwayrds in your training and start from a point you know works.

Grady will be 4 next month. He still has good days and bad days. We're getting out as much as we can, going to show and go's, training in busy parking lots, different facilities, etc. Some days, he's on point. Other's he's not. When he's not...I take a few steps back, break things down into baby steps (give me eye contant while in heel for 1 step, reward. For two steps, reward, etc - even tho I know I can get full heeling patterns with his full attention, I still break it down so he understands what I want).

Like Julia asked, are you consistent? I've learned....I'm not and need to work on it. And I've learned how much my stress effects him - whether its class, show n go or a trial. Recently, we went thru a run thru at another facility. He had an AMAZING class the day before. I felt really confident about going to this run thru. I was hyped, he was hyped, we were ready. It was an early run thru and I got home from work late, so I got home, grabbed him and ran out the door (no time for either of us to relax after a long day of work). Got on the road, sat in traffic. Got lost and ended up in the ghetto - that's when Grady started whining - he knew I was stressed. We finally got to the facility and it smelled bad (like pee) and I could tell it was overwhelming for Grady if I could smell it.

We were late, so as soon as we got there, I literally had 5 mins to warm him up before we had our turn. When we did...it was horrible. No focus. My footwork was a nightmare. He was everywhere. I wasn't concentrating (still stressed from getting lost, traffic, bad day at work) and he felt all of that. Add the fact that he had 5 mins to get used to the doggy smell, we had 2 run thrus....atleast by the 2nd one, I had better attention, but I was still lost.

All that to say, that even the slightest thing that throws you off, could be throwing Bella off, and you may not even realize it. I'd suggest working backwards, going back to baby steps, getting out to as many places as possible to train and really going backwards when you are in a new place. Sounds like the new trainer has opened your eyes to see that there may be some things you are doing that are confusing to Bella. Hopefully with some changes to that, as well as working with her, you'll get back to where you want to be.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

debella

• Weanling
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »
I know exactly what you are talking about.  The first year I showed her, I was a wreck and knew she knew.  We never had a problem in training, she was great.   I finally realized that if I had a routine when we went to shows and gave each other time when we got to a show to chill a little we would be better and thats what I really have been working on this year.  Im not as nervous as I was last year and feel that i know what to do better that our first year.  So my routine is pretty consistant. But what I learned  today is my pace is way off.  We worked on that and the difference was huge.  Along with changes in my use of certain commands, I saw a whole different dog today.  I understand why Im not getting the focus I need with her.  She explained how to get her to focus on me  and it worked.  Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.  we will get that CD title and continue on to Open. 

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
Yeh, pace is HUGE for us too! That was also part of the problem when we were at the recent run thru. I have to go fast in a normal heel, otherwise he looks off at other things. I can't do a boring stroll when I want his attention. I've also noticed that when I move slower, my footwork is off, and that throws him off too. The more I change the "picture" for him, the more he's confused on what I expect outta him. So, I think at the last run thru, with all my stress and everything else, I moved slower, moved wrong, and confused the heck outta him, lol. In class, I'm fast! Gotta be. I get beautiful attention and he's right with me like we're a team.

Glad she pointed that out for you. That really does make a ton of difference, especially if you have a dog that likes to move fast.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

debella

• Weanling
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
Yes was a good thing she pointed it out.  I know exactly why we did not qualify at the last show now.  She noticed it right away.  When we did work at a good pace I was so impressed with Bella.  I look forward to working with this trainer.  She is not far for me to go and I know she as a huge following.  I also noticed you are in the Charlotte NC area.  I  am thinking of relocating to your area.  Maybe you could give a some insight as to a good area to relocate to.    Thanks again

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:15 PM »
I also noticed you are in the Charlotte NC area.  I  am thinking of relocating to your area.  Maybe you could give a some insight as to a good area to relocate to.    Thanks again
LOL Why would you wanna move Here?! :laugh4: JK I moved from MD and gotta say, it's been 10 years and I'm still not quite sure I like it. It's actually a really nice area, just a culture shock, especially if you're used to big city ammenities. Charlottes, nice. Lots of nice areas and depending on where you wanna go and how much you wanna spend....south or north of the city are your best bets. Southpark area is really nice. (southend) Ballantyne. Good for the southern side of town. I'm north of the city in the Huntersville/Concord area of Charlotte. We really like Huntersville area. Let me know where you're thinkin and I'll be happy to help. I do know a great training club, tho! LOL ;)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

debella

• Weanling
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I hope to get a chance to check differenct areas by Charlotte.  I will let you know.  Joining an obedience club will be a must for me and Bella!!!  So I will need the name of a good one