Author Topic: Proposed Rally Changes  (Read 707 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Proposed Rally Changes
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
Anyone else heard about these? I don't like all of them, but some seem fine.
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/events/rally/2010_RAC_Recommendations.pdf

Adding Rally "Master" to the VCD1 frustrates me - for one, the other title requirements are Novice level, while RM is a 4th-level title. Plus it forces people to compete in Rally for the title.  Rally is the "doodling" or "practice" sport for Obedience - it is beneficial, but it isn't the same as the "traditional" sports that VCD titles currently include.

Not sure how I feel about the new proposed class or the stricter rules. Like heavily penalizing repeat commands - this is supposed to be the class where you are allowed to be informal and talk to your dog. And say a judge thinks that one of your "encouraging" phrases is a command and nails you for repeating it?  :smash:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

GypsyMystic

• Potty Trained
Re: Proposed Rally Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
I've looked through them quickly. I doubt Gypsy would have finished her RE as easily with the proposed changes. Some make sense, others don't. If these are put in place, we won't be going for our RAE, not sure if we will do the RM or not.
Margaret
Gypsy RE, NA, OAJ, OF, CGC  8/10/03
Mystic OA, OAJ, OF, CA  CGC 5/12/06
Stryker Can/UKC CH Winmere Only Time Will Tell CA 3/8/09
Carly  Mystic's baby 7/26/10
Abby  Stryker's baby 12/15/1

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
I just looked back through them in a little more detail and noticed the language change for RE... I'm not impressed:

Verbal encouragement, multiple commands and/or inaudible signals using one or both arms and hands are allowed; the handlerís arms need not be maintained in any particular position at any time. Handlers must walk in a natural manner; repeated commands and/or signals on any principal part will be penalized 3 points.

The change seems to indicate a change in the spirit of Rally. Being able to talk to your dog at all levels was part of the "informal" nature of Rally and being able to use your arms/hands was too. Now it is looking like they are trying to make the Excellent level more strict and formal. Not to mention the language is vague enough to cause trouble - what constitutes a "natural manner"? Since verbal encouragement is not distinctly prohibited, how does the judge decide what is a "repeat" command and what is encouragement? I know people who use "lets go" as a command and some who use it as a pep-talk.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

GypsyMystic

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
I sort of understand the logic - tighten it down in Rally to make it an easier progression to Obedience. I don't necessarily agree with it. They want the judges to judge tighter, but it seems like they've opened it up for more grey area, like you said. It's still the judges discretion, so I don't think the judging is going to get any more consistent/uniform.
Margaret
Gypsy RE, NA, OAJ, OF, CGC  8/10/03
Mystic OA, OAJ, OF, CA  CGC 5/12/06
Stryker Can/UKC CH Winmere Only Time Will Tell CA 3/8/09
Carly  Mystic's baby 7/26/10
Abby  Stryker's baby 12/15/1

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
I don't like the addition of a Rally Master title added to the VCD1 requirements either.  That's a heck of a lot of Rally classes to have to enter, way more than for a CD, NA, NAJ or TD.  I wouldn't mind if they required an RN or RA but think Rally Master is too much focus on Rally for a VCD1.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »
Yeah, if I'm understanding it correctly, it'd cost more than all three other titles combined, even if you had a 100% Q rate. Way out of balance.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05