Author Topic: "Easy" Judges  (Read 764 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
"Easy" Judges
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »
I posted this here, but it could apply to Agility, Conformation, etc....

What are your thoughts on judges that seem to be "easy?"

I was looking at the judge we had for our Rally trial a couple of weeks ago, and noticed she's never not qualified anyone. Atleast from what I can tell. Here is her info: http://www.akc.org/judges_directory/index.cfm?action=refresh_index_init&judge_id=40717

Clicking through her past assignments, I didn't see where anyone did not score a qualifying score. I mean, it doesn't seem to be all that hard not to qualify (unless you NQ), but is it typical for some judges to seem to be "easier" to qualify and give higher points than others? On Grady's 2nd day, I really didn't expect him to score as high as he did. I liked scoring an 88, but trying to count in my head all the points we should have been deducted, I'm not so sure that we deserved an 88 - or even a 96 the first day.

So just curious, when looking at entering trials - do you consider if a judge seems to be pretty lenient on the scores by going thru their past assignments and seeing what they scored? I dunno, part of me would almost rather try a hard judge, but who knows....I may grow to like the easy ones, lol.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:39:36 AM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: "Easy" Judges
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
FWIW - I have always in rally scored better than I think we should have, and overall I think that all of the judges are too lenient. Afterall if I get a Qualifying score I want to think that we earned it.

Now that being said - I have NQ in rally before and seen it happen to other people too.

The only thing that I look for in judges - in either obedience or rally - is nice judges. I have a couple on my do not show too list - generally judges that I NQ'd under when I was doing obedience with Star that made not so nice comments about our performance - which I already knew was awful and I didn't need them rubbing in it. I generally like to show under supportive judges, who are encouraging regardless of the performance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:15:28 PM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »
FWIW - I have always in rally scored better than I think we should have, and overall I think that all of the judges are too lenient. Afterall if I get a Qualifying score I want to think that we earned it.

Now that being said - I have NQ in rally before and seen it happen to other people too.
That's what I was thinking too, Kerry. I'd almost rather go with a harder judge and know that we got the score that we deserved...rather than the judge being too lenient on everybody. You work too hard to get where you're going than to have a judge be easy on ya - I wanna know that my hard work pays off (or not). Our last Rally Class, our instructor did sorta a "mock trial" and if you wanted to be scored, you would be. We were first to go up and I wanted to be scored and she said to me, "I'll probably score you tougher than most judges would" which surprised me. We still scored an 89 - we were both a lil off and some of the simple things we did many times, we were both just not syncing - but I told her I'd rather her be hard on us than to be easy. I don't want someone to take it "easy" on us. Rally makes things too easy as it is, add lenient judges and really almost doesn't seem worth trying too hard. It's good practice for us for when we get into Obedience, so I'm not totally complaining.....but I want to be judged fully on our ability to work as a team and not let things go just cuz the judges are being nice.

There were NQ's in our trial, but nothing below a 70 on the score sheets. Most NQ's were for the dog going off, losing focus....no NQ's due to points.

I'm curious, too, if it's just Rally judges like this or if it's common in other sports (ie. Obedience, Agility, Conformation), etc?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:20:35 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
No, it is a common problem in rally and I have not seen it in any of the other venues. I think the attitude is that they don't want it to be tough like obedience.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »
I've found almost every judge I showed under in Rally was easier than I'd like.  I always feel a little irritated when I get a Q that doesn't feel earned, I even had one judge give me a 92 when I thought I should have NQ'd with how "gazy" Xena got.  I'd also much rather have a strict and supportive judge than any other type. 

The only Rally judge on my "do not show" list is actually the judge that gave us our final RN leg and highest RN score - she was more interested in schmoozing and telling stories to the stewards than being helpful to the newbies showing under her. She had no time to clarify the signs for you, tell you what you lost points on, and I heard her make snarky comments about people's performances. 

It's actually a shame because I thought she was one of the more fair/strict judges. I might have only taken a couple more points off in judging myself, but the score was close enough to feel earned, not given.

I've only heard of one judge that was strict AND unsupportive in Rally... I didn't show under her, but she was NQing left and right and the whole mood around the Rally ring was just sullen. From what I could tell, she missed the spirit of Rally entirely... (and unfortunately, since I didn't show under her, I can't remember her name...)

I have to admit, the scoring in Rally sort of frustrates me and I started blowing off training "for" it because it seemed like a joke.  I'm trying to do a little brushing up with Xena because we're going for our last Rally Ex leg at the end of July and I want to make sure I feel like we *earned* it this time because it's probably our last time in the Rally ring (not going for an RAE).
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12