Author Topic: "Fancy" Ribbons (Rosettes) at Shows  (Read 1894 times)

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: "Fancy" Ribbons (Rosettes) at Shows
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »
Around here, they are most frequently free-standing trials, while Obedience is often something that KCs "throw in" to make more $$ at a trial.

Just FWIW - obedience/rally is a loosing proposition for my club yet we continue to put it on. Oh yeah, and conformation is in the big building that has no AC, and obedience/rally has their own room that has AC and which costs the club an arm and a leg. Yup, we certainly don't make a dime on obedience/rally.

Now agility is different - we make a ton of money putting on agility trials.

Just an FYI.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
Kerry - Might be a Regional thing, 'cause clubs only seem to host Obed if it makes them money around here.  One show I liked quite a bit didn't pull in as many Obed entries last year, so they canceled Obed. this year. The only time I saw Obed in a nicer location than Conformation was when the smaller building at the State Fair Grounds had been renovated and the big building hadn't yet.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
I don't know. . . Just my view, but when I walk into any ring with my dog, conformation or obedience, I'm there to have fun. Whether I'm competing against myself or against others makes no difference to me. And the prizes that I value the most? The $4.00 stuffed dog toys because I love the look of joy on my dog's face when he/she gets to walk out of the ring with it in his/her mouth.

I have friends who put blood, sweat and tears into organizing these shows and work very hard to penny pinch and try not to break the bank while putting them on. To the point that my club discussed dropping one of our supported entry shows a few years ago because we just weren't pulling the numbers for it to make sense to keep doing it. It may not seem like it but all of those little $3 and $4 incidentals add up, and they add up fast.

I guess I look at it this way. It's great to have a good, competitive streak in showing dogs--it keeps you going and gives you something to work toward, be it that next major, or your Ch, or points toward your OTCH/MACH. It's also good to want to get in there and work with your dog and show off the hard work that you've done and what you've both achieved in training (or, in the example of the breed ring, what you've done with your breeding program). But, from my perspective, if I'm only there for the ribbons and prizes, it will get old after a while and I'll eventually grow tired of it and just stop doing it. To me, competing for the prizes just isn't a sustainable goal.

:thumbsup: well said.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
Kerry - Might be a Regional thing, 'cause clubs only seem to host Obed if it makes them money around here.  One show I liked quite a bit didn't pull in as many Obed entries last year, so they canceled Obed. this year. The only time I saw Obed in a nicer location than Conformation was when the smaller building at the State Fair Grounds had been renovated and the big building hadn't yet.

I think you would be surprised to find out that most clubs - even if they are making money on obedience are not making very much at all.

AKC has even put some changes in place to try and help - like allowing a club to hold back to back trials on the same day - and use the same judges (so get multiple legs under the same judge).

I know that our club has dropped all rally prizes (not yet in obedience) and we have added all of the new classes in the hopes that that will draw more people. If that doesn't work then we may look at offerring back to back trials on the same day.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »
My training club reports that they usually lose money putting on obedience trials too.  If entry fees are not enough to cover costs, why aren't they raised?  I'm planning to ask that at a meeting soon.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10