Author Topic: The Obedience/Rally AKC Handbook  (Read 775 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
The Obedience/Rally AKC Handbook
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
Anyone got clifnotes for this thing? LOL

We got our rules/regs book at orientation tonite and I was just flipping thru it and this caught my attention...

Rally Novice A Class: "To be eligible for entry in this class, dogs may not have won an AKC Rally Novice (RN) title or any AKC Obedience title prior to close of entries...." It also goes on to say that the handler may not have won any Rally Novice titles or other obedience titles. So, lets say if I titled another dog (ie. Rubi :roflol:), I wouldn't be able to compete Grady in RN A?

If a dog has won a title in Obedience, they can't compete for Rally Novice A? But can they compete for Rally Novice B, then? It doesn't say either way in the RN B Class section, and not that I have to worry about that (lol), but it just caught my attention, so I wondered.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: The Obedience/Rally AKC Handbook
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:00:45 AM »
Right -  The "A" classes are only for complete newbies.  To make it fair, they don't have to go up against the person who's been training forever but just happens to have a young dog.

A little confusing, but also works to your advantage - you can show in Novice A obedience no matter what Rally titles you have.  Since they aren't considered "equal" (IMO, from what I've seen), you can go all the way through the most complicated levels of Rally and still be an obedience novice. 

Which I'd say is fair given the performances I've seen in some Rally Excellent classes - there is a local elderly lady who does the entire course bent in half and verbally luring her  little dog. She's not bent from age, but because she's trying so hard to keep her dogs attention. She doesn't ribbon, but she does Q and I don't think that would be the case in Obedience.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: The Obedience/Rally AKC Handbook
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
Yeh, it totally makes sense, glad I was reading it right, lol.  I can definitely see the advantages to a class for newbies - glad they have that option! LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12