Author Topic: Agility & Obedience on same day of trial  (Read 715 times)

bxrs4ever

• Fully Weaned
Agility & Obedience on same day of trial
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »
Has anyone ever done agility and obedience on the same day at a trial with the same dog?  If so, what did you find were the pros and cons to doing this and would you do it again?  I was just wondering if this was even doable since in agility you want the dog to be quick and be able to work away from you but in obedience you want them to work closer to you and at a much slower pace.  Do you think it would be too confusing for the dog and the handler?   Any of your thoughts or opinions would be appreciated too. 
Fiona
Mom to Jazz - 4/4/2004
Jesse - 3/31/2004
Molly - 11/14/2007

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Agility & Obedience on same day of trial
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:25:59 AM »
I actually haven't ever tried this before.......I try not to enter multiple events at the same trial since I normally just get stressed out trying to make all of the events at the proper time, but I have done agility and conformation before, and also obedience and conformation.

My guess is that it would not be a problem. Quite frankly I think that our dogs are smarter than that. You train for both events, so your dog must know the difference between them.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

bxrs4ever

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:17:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply Kerry.

I try not to enter multiple events at the same trial since I normally just get stressed out trying to make all of the events at the proper time, but I have done agility and conformation before, and also obedience and conformation.

Yup that's me too.  I tend to get stressed at trials so I'll really have to give this more thought...
Fiona
Mom to Jazz - 4/4/2004
Jesse - 3/31/2004
Molly - 11/14/2007

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
I have done obed and conf on the same day . It was tough to be sure not to miss one of the classs .

I think it would depend if obed and rally are being held in the same ring one after the other . That would not be so bad as you will not have to risk missing one event .
As far as for the dog . I do not think it would be confusing . They know what to do when they are in the ring with the equipment .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .