Author Topic: Anhyone heard of Celeste Mead?  (Read 1258 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Anhyone heard of Celeste Mead?
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »
Celeste Mead is giving a seminar on obedience foundation training about 2 hours away (outside of Rochester, NY) and it sounds interesting. But I know nothing about the woman.

She certainly has plenty of accolades, but her exact style doesn't seem to be mentioned (or I've totally missed that page):
http://www.americank9country.com/ak9c-staff.html

There is more about her on the local host's registration page:
http://www.addenon.com/events/Celeste%20Seminar%20Flyer.pdf

If this looks like something that would help me learn to work better with Xena, it'd be worth the pricetag and possible hotel stay. I just don't want to go there and find that I don't mesh w/the trainer. Hearing from folks with first or second hand knowledge would be great!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: Anhyone heard of Celeste Mead?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
She's pretty incredible -

HOWEVER...if this is a very expensive seminar, then a private lesson with her would tell you if a seminar would even benefit you.

From the website (that you linked)
“Without want-to in the dog, have to will ALWAYS dwindle down attitude in your dog’s performance."    Celeste’s UPBEAT, motivational method of training combines embracing the distractions NOT correcting them. Celeste believes that the ring should be the most enjoyable place for the dog. It should be fast fun with a series of obstacles with motivational “pick-ups” in between each exercise. So many people forget to train “the in between sequence”  Celeste feels that time in between the exercises is a gift given to you by AKC to motivate, reconnect, reduce stress, regain attention& set-up for the next exercise. She believes in “Pre-Cues”. She teaches how to create drive in the dog along with how to control it. Celeste not only knows how to reduce stress in the dog but she creates confidence in the handler that every dog needs for a proper team partnership. Her methods have proven successful in many breeds including her competitive, fast, upbeat, precise Bloodhounds.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
The seminar is $200, plus travel/hotel. A private lesson is $90/hour and on a Friday so I'd have to take time off work. I'd be more inclined to sign up for the 2-day seminar since space is limited and I couldn't schedule a private, decide I like her, and sign up last minute.

I saw the description but I wasn't sure what some of it meant. Like "embracing distractions, not correcting them" - ??

The idea of building drive w/Xena and making the ring fun is what attracts me. Building handler confidence certainly sounds like something we'd benefit from too!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
I have never been to one of her seminars before but I have heard of her (all good things) and I would go like a shot.

If it were me, I would consider paying for an auditing spot instead of a working spot. Of course, a lot does depend on the seminar and the speaker but from the couple of seminars I have gone to, I have gotten as much out of them by just auditing than if I had been there with my dog.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
The one seminar I audited, I felt like I didn't get as much out of it. I got home and tried some of the exercises she described and wasn't having any luck, emailed her about it and she said it was tough to say without seeing my dog in action.  :confused: So I'm much more inclined to pay the extra to be an active participant.

Glad to hear people have heard good things (or Renee, did you actually go to one of her seminars?)... the seminar isn't until April, so I make take a week or two to decide. But I think I'll go. Focus (from Xena) and confidence (for me) are very appealing things to get some intensive work on!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:23 AM »
(or Renee, did you actually go to one of her seminars?)

I haven't  - when it comes to obedience, my best new concepts typically come out of Schutzhund (like Joanne Plumb).  Most AKC trainers, even the really fantastic ones,  don't really blend with my style.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
For me, if I am investing in $200+ to listen to someone, I'd rather pay the funds for private lessons when I have one on one attention with a trainer.  This way I am not trying myself to pick up on points from listening but rather having the person picking out my issues personally and help me work on what I want in a one on one atmosphere.  ;D

I think after I feel more advanced in my training, and my dogs have some titles, then seminars to me would be beneficial to make some tweaks in what I currently do.  Right I really really want to nail the basicis and make the fine tunning later.

Thats "my" perspective if I were to decide on whether or not to take the seminar. 

Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »
For me, if I am investing in $200+ to listen to someone, I'd rather pay the funds for private lessons when I have one on one attention with a trainer.  This way I am not trying myself to pick up on points from listening but rather having the person picking out my issues personally and help me work on what I want in a one on one atmosphere.  ;D

I can't disagree with that. A few weeks back I took a private lesson with Skye with someone really special (IMO) and it was worth every single penny, a hundred times over.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »
Heather - I take it you haven't attended a group seminar as a working pair or auditor?

I'd rather pay $200 for 16 hours of instruction that include a good amount of time working with my dog w/the trainer nearby to help troubleshoot. I learned tons from the 7 hours I spent watching Clothier work with other dogs, even though those dogs had completely opposite "issues" than mine.

$90 for just one hour, plus 4 hours of driving in one day, just doesn't seem as "complete."
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
Heather - I take it you haven't attended a group seminar as a working pair or auditor?

Maybe I have, maybe I have not.   Everyone training styles are different  ;)   

For me sinking hundreds per year to attend training seminars or auditor when I am still green in training IMO is not worth it to me.   That 90 minutes of one on one time to me would be worth the hours of driving and the 16hrs of group instruction.      I'd rather seek out one on one and have hands on training and an instructors 100% attention on me and my dog for an hour, but like I said, thats just me.  I am not a learner by reading and trying to use it, I learn by doing and having someone there to correct.  Thats all.   

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:51:16 PM by Hanna Banana »

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
Sounds like you don't have any advice on my particular predicament then, since my question wasn't about learning styles - our styles are obviously quite different. I'm not concerned so much with the price as I am with the person's training style, which is why I sought out people with experience or second-hand knowledge of her.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
Nope we are different in many ways than one.  I am stemming off of your origional post, and Renee's comment on the private lesson. Since I have much experience with private lessons and where they have got me being a beginner, I thought I would add in my thought.   Sorry you feel it was not needed -  Enjoy the seminar.