Author Topic: Wary/scared in the ring.. what to do?  (Read 1936 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Wary/scared in the ring.. what to do?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
Renee - I dunno if I believe that in this case. The areas outside the ring were small, people in close proximity, etc. Inside the ring, you had a big open space and a cluster of people standing behind you. I felt less nervous on Sunday then I did in the fall outdoor show, I was confident we would qualify (until she turned around to face said crowd).

There was not a crowd gathered on one side of the ring at the outdoor show - people were milling about on 3 sides at least. She did some looking around at that show, but it wasn't focused on only one area.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »
Renee - I dunno if I believe that in this case.

I know you don't - tell me in 5 years if you still disagree with me.

I also know that I can predict how a team is going to do based on what the handler does from the time they get their dog out of the crate to the time the judge asks you if you are ready. 

And I've seen enough of your general training videos to know that you were, at some point, going to experience this (because *I* did and I can spot it.)

AND...I knew that you would  disagree with me when it happened.

In a performance (and that what this is when you send in an entry - a performance) it has everything in the world to do with what you think, see, act, and what you do with your dog. 

Patty Ruzzo came out with an Audio CD that covers this topic (IMO) better than anything I've ever come across in the name of Sport Psychology  (Positively Ringwise).

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »
I know you don't - tell me in 5 years if you still disagree with me.

And I've seen enough of your general training videos to know that you were, at some point, going to experience this (because *I* did and I can spot it.)

AND...I knew that you would  disagree with me when it happened.

These bits made me smile and feel better somehow...  ;D

I'm still not sure that's *entirely* what happened, but I'm willing to concede that it at least played a part since you're a keen observer w/a lot more years in the ring.

I do get a surge of nerves before entering the ring, though I didn't feel like they were as bad as the two previous times in because I thought I'd done the right things to warm up and be successful. (I used some tricks from the "what you should know before..." audio CD) The judge was the same both days this weekend and did say she saw 110% improvement in Xena the second day (but still couldn't Q her), so maybe my "lesser" case of nerves meant Xena'd be less nervous.

Ok, so now I'm kind of wishing I had managed to get someone to tape us in the ring both days.  :mad:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »
(I used some tricks from the "what you should know before..." audio CD)

Exactly.  Focusing on your performance (when it doesn't come naturally) is not an easy skill.  Keeping focused when you have a problem is even harder.

I agree with your friend that suggested more Run-Throughs.  At this point you need them as much as she does. 

AND you need to watch those who are better than you.  A lot. 

When I was first training Jakob, I didn't have a good trainer, so I studied the upper level handlers - what did they do, how did they move, how did they handle themselves in the ring.  How did they handle their dogs outside the ring.  Or between exercises. 

And then watch the Novice Handlers (in that order it's important to watch the pros first!) what did they do, how did they move, how did they handle themselves in the ring.  How did they handle their dogs outside the ring.  Or between exercises.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
People watching, I can do that!  :yes:

The woman who said more run-throughs is my trainer for last class, and she's also retired and spends pretty much all her free time and money training and competing. I'll definitely keep a closer eye on her next time we're at a match together - and unless there are conflicting events, she's bound to be at all the matches I'm at!

One thing that varies by dog though, at least according to folks I talk to, is how much you warm up your dog before you compete - any trick to figuring that out, like "if you normally spend X minutes training at home, do only that much before you go in the ring" - or is it total trial and error?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
or is it total trial and error?

It's trial and error and more than that, it's paying attention to your dog.

I don't spend alot of time warming up a Vetran like Josie or Jakob, I DO spent more time warming up Anja.

But it's what you do, not how long you do it.  With Anja, now that she is settling in a little, its about bringing her up to where she will be in the ring, and reminding her that she is EXPECTED to  be in control of herself at that level, and being prepared to handle her if she's not.  I'm more likely to use food for warming up Anja than Josie because Anja doesn't get as bitchy about it. 

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
LOL, as bitchy about warming up?

I'm actually wondering if I'm using food as a crutch too me. I carried it with me when I was walking her around to acclimate her (the judge's "whenever she looks at you, feed her" suggestion) - I meant to leave it w/my crate when we were doing warm ups in the aisles, but I ended up wearing it most of the time.

At home I'm practicing putting it on the dining room table or the top of Dash's crate, the working her around the livingroom, praising her, and walking over to get the food. If I walk her towards the food at the end of a set though, she's forges something awful. ::) My little chowhound!... I correct her, make her work a little more, then go get the food when we've done work w/out forging.

I'm wondering if I should taper off the food more? Like not having the food on my person during class? Only feeding a couple times during class? Our new Rally class (starting tonight) has some "rank beginners" in it according to the trainer, so we'll be going slow and covering stuff she knows.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »
LOL, as bitchy about warming up?

Absolutely - warm her up, nice front (cookie) nice drop (cookie) go in the ring...

no cookie...

She's not stupid. :angel:

I'm actually wondering if I'm using food as a crutch too me.

I think we all do it when we're new...

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 02:05:16 PM »
LMAO at Josie. I can see where she'd cop a 'tude on that! I don't think Xena's bitchy enough to pull that.  :laugh4:

If I wanted to get us "off food" for all the Rally Novice exercises -since I'm confident she "knows" them all by now.. it's just turning, sits, and downs afterall! - is there any way you'd suggest going about it? Especially since I tend to go into "security blanket" mode w/out meaning too?  :blush:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05