Author Topic: Teaching explosive recalls..  (Read 3101 times)

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: Teaching explosive recalls..
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »
Renee - No, we were specifically not supposed to call the dog, but they were supposed to break the stay.  Two more experienced people (the DOT was one) said they had used "cheats" with a quiet come, but we were not supposed to start out trying that.  The DOT was actually the one who worked on it w/my one on one.  Her emphasis was having me really lean until I was almost going to fall over, then haul butt and grab Xena for the return w/praise and food.

No wonder why she stayed.  You're cueing her that you're going to do something, but she doesn't know what that cue means yet.

"really leaning into her" would, in time, cue her as to what was going to happen next.  Cueing the dog is just good handling, so (again, guessing wildly) that's what she was working on with you, was a body cue.

"really leanining" into Anja does something very similar - it cues her to jump into my arms.  Now THAT's fun.  So I call her to me, she fronts, I lean, and up she goes and I catch her.  Working on fading the front, but she'll still have to collect - I'm just not large enough to catch a flying adult Boxer mid-air (yet!) without losing my center of gravity.

Maybe not really recall related, but again, she thinks it's a freaking scream, so the motivation to come in fast remains.  That's why, when they didn't break, they were run back to your starting point.

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
You're actually working on the recall, not the stay -
Does the dog know that?  ;)

I know you're teaching the recall, but doesn't doing it that way undermine the stay?

YES. Which is why you teach the recall BEFORE you teach the stay.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »
And then there are those of us who never got the memo on the right order and end up trying to unmuddle our minds when these exercises are brought up and our dog is too well behaved.  :laugh4:  Of course if I'd given Xena the break signal, I think it would have made a huge difference.

I brought out a tug toy that Dash isn't as into (the rope style) and tried it when Dash was outside.  Apparently all Xena needed - at least for playing at home - was the right toy and no nosey brother! She was ready to rip my arm off whipping that thing around!

Renee - Any of those videos cover something you feel is more or less important when dealing with a dog who won't be doing any agility, only obedience?  Trying to get an idea of where to start w/Xena on foundations.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »
She was ready to rip my arm off whipping that thing around!
She's got it...it's not ever going to look like Dash, or be as easy to bring out, but it's there...

Find it, build it and maintain it.
Renee - Any of those videos cover something you feel is more or less important when dealing with a dog who won't be doing any agility, only obedience?

The startline recall is the easiest one to do - the 3 toy retrieve is another.  How much obedience do you plan on doing?  For example, if Open is possible (I don't know, because of the 2 jumps) I would start all of those recalls also. 

In Novice, you have one recall.  In Open, you have 4 - Drop on Recall (DOR), Retrieve on Flat (ROF), Retrieve over High Jump (ROHJ) and the Broad Jump (BJ).  That's 5 opportunities to build fun fast recalls.   

The best part about all of those videos, is that they spell out very clearly how much fun should be built into training, regardless of WHAT you are training for.
Trying to get an idea of where to start w/Xena on foundations.

You answered that question yourself with your second post :smash:-

Xena's recall is fast VIA the "Chase Me Game" training I do with her.

Now, modify it in all the ways you can use it in competitive obedience.  I'd be on the floor with her (with Dash crated of course) playing with the toys and bringing out  a little "naughtiness" in her.  From there, you can start building short recalls to a tug, with you bent down (bending down is important!! )

Anticipate that she will start (hopefully) blowing the wait part OF the recall on occasion - anticipation is an important part of the training process on the recall, so if it happens, just do-over - it's fine (you see that with AJ and how she handled it.)

As you slowly come up, the toy can be thrown through the legs, caught up (you saw Anja doing that) and that can also be food, too - Jakob has a bait bag that zips up - toss it, he charges after it, brings it to me, and I unzip and feed him.  And I've used that to build speed on A LOT of dogs.  Karla Spitzer demonstrated for me in a Seminar at ABC (when Josie was a puppy) the power of cheese puffs (they move slow and are easy to catch).

A loaded bait bag can (and should) be used with the "on the floor" foundation stuff.  All of my dogs have learned to eat entire meals out of a bait bag and from my hand - I'll do it for weeks at a time.  It builds FOOD drive - and there is no such thing as too much food drive.

From there, the hardest part is too remember that too much formality kills.

When I train Josie, I almost never EVER do a complete recall - if I run her through Open and Utility, there's 11 of them - so Half of them would have no front, 2-3 of them are released from front (up for toy) and 2 or 3 of them have a full finish with a toy thrown out from finish.

I don't get real formal until after entries are sent in - and even then I transfer alot of toy-play to praise-play because I can take my praise into the ring.

Starting to make sense?

Remember - it's very easy to get a Boxer up there, it's hard to keep them there.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »
Starting to make sense!  It sounds easy but hard at the same time  ;D  And part of me is saying "Darn, I thought Xena was past foundation stuff!"  but obviously a good "pet" recall just isn't the same.

I'm not sure if I'll get Xena into Open or not.. depends partly on our progress in competition, and partly on her knee.  She hasn't had any lameness/soreness in a long while, so fingers crossed her knee doesn't affect things!

I'll have to start having Aaron lock Dash in the office with him to do this stuff, I'm sure he'd go nuts if he could "look but not touch"  :mad:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12