Author Topic: Start New Training Club Tomorrow  (Read 2794 times)

Christen83

• Socialized
Start New Training Club Tomorrow
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:48 PM »
We start Bruce's new obedience tomorrow.  Bruce was the star at his first class aat the other place b/c there were only 3-5 other dogs and it was the only thing going on in the building at the time.  The instructor loved him and constantly used him for demonstrations and it was at his doggy day care so he was familiar with the environment.

This time there are going to be other classes and lots of other dogs in the area at the same time since it's an actual training club, we're broke into smaller groups, but there's at least 4 classes in different rings.  Tomorrow night is going to be a true test of patience.  He'll be fine until he hears the first bark from another dog and then he'll go barking crazy, jumping this way and that on the leash and I really don't know what I'm going to be able to do about it.  If I neal down a hold him from behind in a hug like position he usually stops, but I try not to do this unless I have to b/c I know it reinforces the behavior.  I'm just hoping he isn't the worst one around  :confused:

We aren't going to feed him after lunch, and we're going to let him play at the tennis court for a bit before we go, and try to get there early get him acclimated to the environment a bit before class.  Is all this over kill?  Is there something else I should do to make things as smooth as possible?  I don't want the instructor to hate Bruce  ???

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Start New Training Club Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
What you are planning on sounds good and no training instructor worth their salt will "hate" a dog just for being over-exuberant!   One word of caution, I found if I skipped an entire meal for Xena, she was so hungry she couldn't concentrate and would throw all the tricks she knew at me trying to get treats.   So I would maybe give him less food rather than none at this point so he isn't going nuts trying to turn you into a treat dispenser.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:37:10 PM »
Well he usually gets fed at lunch time and then again when I get home at 5:30, our class starts at 7:00.  Should I wait until after the class to feed him or have Seth give him half a meal around 3:00?

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
Good Luck In Class Bruce and Christen!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
Personally I'd give him his half meal at the normal dinner time so he doesn't start stressing that dinner is late.  Just leave him "begging for more" so to speak.

Honestly, alot of times I just feed Xena her whole meal because I know how stressed she gets about being hungry outweighs the attention she'll give because she hasn't eaten.  And I use yummy treats so I know she'll be interested even w/a full tummy!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 12:39:36 PM »
I'm sure you and Bruce will do great!
Riley - 9/19/2008

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
We aren't going to feed him after lunch, and we're going to let him play at the tennis court for a bit before we go, and try to get there early get him acclimated to the environment a bit before class.

That's probably good - I find hungry dogs easier to work with.

Anja had her first night of puppy class last night (or most of it, her puppy class and Josie's utility class run simultaneously) and she ate her entire meal working on exercises.

Christen83

• Socialized
Re: Start New Training Club Tomorrow - Update (long)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 09:02:14 AM »
My grilled steak bites were a very motivational treat for Bruce and apparently for one of the other trainer's boxers who tried to steal them out of my pouch when I wasn't looking  ::) She was adoreable though.

Things I love : There's a lady there that handles the registration that has 5 boxers  :o and she always brings some to the club with her..  I LOVE them  :smitten:

I also like that this same lady keeps an eye on us and if there's a training technique that isn't as "boxer friendly" as other she'll come into the ring and say "why don't you just do it this way".  ;D

Things I ... less than love : They didn't touch on hand signals at all.

It's very hard to hear.  Well, I can hear the trainer in the ring next to us but not our trainer.

The short curly haired assistant that Seth says looks like me, I don't like her snippyness.  When they we're going over leash corrections at the end of class I was less than enthused in my practicing and she got all in my face talking 90 miles a minute.  Then when I took Bruce back and started to go and said "come on Bruce" in my happy voice she told me not to talk to him at all, just to walk  ???

Then the boxer lady came in and told me to encourage him and praise him while he walking well and talk constantly ???  then we tried the prong collar which Bruce was very distraught about, and then a normal choker which he was a little more comfortable with.  And I must say Bruce walks much better with vocal encouragement than with leash corrections.

So meanwhile, Bruce is walking semi-nicely on the prong the curly haired chick and the boxer lady have a little spat which was amusing.

Curly: That prong collar's wrong for him, she just needs to walk with more purpose
Boxer: You obviously have never trained a boxer
Curly: No I train bigger dogs (burmese mountain dog I think, and as if size is all that matters)
Boxer:  ::)

All through the exchange with Curly assistant and boxer lady my actual trainer never said anything, so it just left me a bit confused about what to do and who to listen to, but like I said Bruce is working better with verbals so I think I'll go with that for now and then maybe we'll be able to graduate to silent walks.

Overall Bruce did great with attention, Sit and Down.  Towards the end of practicing down I would get him to even wait after his treat before giving him the release command.  I think this environment will be good for both of us since it's full of distractions.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »
Now that had to be confusing having different ppl using different techniques!  I thinkI would stay with the boxer lady!  Curly seems confused as to how to train a boxer!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Well hopefully Curly figures out that you'll be going along w/boxer lady's suggestions most often and ignoring hers.   

I really don't get trying to make a dog walk nicely on leash w/out praise or anything.  Hello, what's in it for the dog??

That's a good litmus test if you are confused about who to listen to -  does the technique give Bruce any reason to do what you say?  Does he see something in it for him?  Boxers (or all dogs really) may like us but they are opportunist and if there isn't something rewarding in it for them, they'll see no reason to comply.  Or at best you get a begrudging response that is all action and no heart.   If praise works great, if toys work great!  Whatever makes him think that doing what you want is more rewarding than doing something else.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »
I really don't get trying to make a dog walk nicely on leash w/out praise or anything.  Hello, what's in it for the dog??

Apparently a lot of leash corrections and a treat if he goes a couple turns without needing corrected.  And on a choker I can see a quick tighten and release, but the were saying yank the leash with both hands and ignore your dog - thus the reason for my less than whole hearted attempt at practicing.

I was so frustrated with curly by the end of the night.  The boxer lady was talking to us afterwards telling be not to get frustrated with Bruce and I reassured her it wasn't Bruce I was irritated with  :smash: :furious3:

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »
Christen -

I find it extremely helpful when you have a trainer what understand the boxer.   My private trainer grew up wiht 4 of them, so she knows their temperment.  My obedience class is 360 degrees different.  I have an assistant who shoot me looks when Hanna gets a bit restless.  Like OMG that dog is out of control.   - It drives me nuts!!!

I have in class used hand signals, but my private trainer does not encourage them but rather put emphasis on word recognition.  So we try with work, and if not then hand.    Hanna is pretty good with word, so I am lucky but it does get confusing!

Good Luck with class! 

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
Heather - Any reason why your trainer would choose word over hand?  It's a natural thing for dogs to read body language, that's how they communicate almost everything...
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 09:59:17 AM »
No idea, but when I see her in a couple of week, I will def. ask!!

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »
Seth and I were discussing that word is nice b/c they don't need to be looking at you and you can give them the command from furthur away...BUT our last class and all the books I've read really stress hand signals.  I guess a new class/training method is just going to take some getting used too.