Author Topic: Housetraining problems with 8 week old fawn  (Read 4024 times)

abbeyroad

• Just Whelped
Re: Housetraining problems with 8 week old fawn
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »
Okay the signs are getting stronger I think.  Today she started sniffing but the problem with using the sniffing is she is a curious one and will sniff all over especially the kitchen looking for loose stuff if she can find it to eat or play with but before I could get my shoes on she went so I have had my shoes on the rest of the day today and the day was dry up until a little while ago when I was making dinner.  I had just peaked at her and she was laying down and I went back to making the food and heard her bark once and I called my daughter to take her out and Abbey trotted in the kitchen and peed.....yes it was on the kitch. floor but I am pretty sure that little bark was for me!!!!! She ate a healthy dinner just now and my husband took her and she had a movement.  I will still call this day an advance if we just keep to two tiny urine spots. 

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 08:53:15 PM »
Bell training might be for you - there's a sticky thread in this forum. Also, while you're making dinner you need to have her gated into the room with you or crated or otherwise under direct supervision of an adult. To prevent accident you really do have to watch her any time that she is not in her crate.
Amber

Ratfingers

• Vet Checked
  • ~Cash Butt~
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 02:43:18 AM »
With Cassius, it was very hard to tell when he needed to go out, and even when we took him out and he went potty, he would come back in, he would go 2 or 3 more times ??? It took constant supervision, a LOT of patience, and everyone in the house being consistant. He was completely accident free at 4 months (seemed like forever) and he then had a 10 day relapse at 6 months (to the date), he hasn't had an accident since.

On the other note, he has slept with me from day one, it is much easier (for me) to know when he is up and moving to get him outside when needed.

Good luck...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:41:07 AM by Ratfingers »
~Julie~
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

abbeyroad

• Just Whelped
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 05:05:35 AM »
Okay so I am not giving up on this.  It sounds like I am defeated but I have only had a week and my husband is trying to remind me that we have made headway.  She has not had a bowel movement in the house in two days.....we have caught her before those because we have gotten to tell that they come after #1 pretty regularly or eating or nap of course.  We had a couple accidents today and they are seeming to be my fault since one was when I was posting and didn't see her sniffing and the other was when I was making dinner and thought she was napping on the floor and she was awake.  I will start my Tuesday by keeping constant eye on her and see if we can go for no accident Tuesday....we are looking into the bell too.

As for her crate issues.....it is in the living room now instead of the basement but she will not calm down even when my husband is right next to her but when she sleeps with one of us it is a good night sleep for all and she doesn't have an accident because I am a light enough sleeper I either get up or let my husband take her and then she goes back to sleep for a couple more hours before getting restless again.  I hope that will be okay because that seems to be what we all prefer.

I would love to gate her in the kitchen but we have three entryways and it would be pricey but we are thinking of just putting one by the living room and closing the doors in the small hall on the one side and the other side is a small stairway to the backdoor that she doesn't go down unless she is going out.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  She turns 10 weeks old on Friday......my daughter turns 6 on the same day! They are both getting big!

rac.cul

• Socialized
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »
It can be very difficult to follow her around everywhere but when i was training zara she had major mistakes ,so i watched her movements.When she woke up from a sleep straight away she would be scooped up to go potty,after playing and generally when she would go rambling that is a major clue.
I also took up a blanket i had in the kitchen for her as she used to pee on it,everything is going great with her now no mistakes in 2 weeks but im holding my breath lol good luck you need it
rachel

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »
It sounds like you are making progress. She's just over 9 weeks old, so it sounds like she isn't doing too bad.

If you have decided to keep her in your bed at night that is totally your choice, many people have great luck with that.

It's good that you're starting to learn her potty patterns. They typically have to potty right after they eat, sleep, or play, and about ever 30 min. in between as well if they are awake. For that reason, it helps to stick to a routine. If she eats, drinks, naps and plays at regular times then she'll also have to pee and poo at regular times, which makes it much easier to prevent accidents. Sometimes they don't give much warning at all because at her age she really has very little bladder control and she doesn't always know that she has to potty until it's too late. So knowing her schedule will save you a lot of accidents.

Keep up the good work, it won't be long til she's housetrained. :2thumbsup:
Amber

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 11:19:32 AM »
Keep up the good work, it won't be long til she's housetrained. :2thumbsup:

But keep in mind "not long" still means several months before you can start depending on her.   Some folks say a dog isn't truly housetrained until they've gone 6 mos without an accident in the house (minus any unavoidables like illness, of course).  But it should get easier quickly, just be sure you keep up with it and don't let your guard down too early.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

abbeyroad

• Just Whelped
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 12:10:24 AM »
ABBEY HAD AN ACCIDENT FREE DAY!!!!!!!! We are very excited but know we have a long way to go.  The nine week old is showing promise especially since we have only been working on it for less than two weeks.  Thanks for the good advice from everyone.  Will keep looking on for pointers.

~CLOWN~

• Socialized
  • ~Miss Molly Brown~
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 06:44:32 AM »
 ;D  An accident free day!  ;D Before you know it you'll have accident free weeks. Keep up the good work Abbey!!
Kathy & Molly Brown 5/16/06

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 09:01:18 AM »
Congrats!  Here is to many more!  Give yourself a pat on the back because accident free means you did a great job watching her! 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2007, 09:09:01 AM »
BRAVO!!!!!

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
 :2thumbsup:
Amber

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »
That is awesome! Brody was a quick learner with potty training too! Congrats!
Riley - 9/19/2008

Krister182

• Vet Checked
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 05:33:53 PM »
woohooo! Good work on both your parts, she's learning and you are being a good watch dog!

Kalia 3.29.06                  Atlas 5.25.05               Cobe 7.4.96 - 8.15.07