Author Topic: Housetraining problems with 8 week old fawn  (Read 4853 times)

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
Re: Housetraining problems with 8 week old fawn
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 12:41:01 AM »
Why's she in the basement? She'd probably settle down a lot quieter if she were with her people, even if she is crated.

~CLOWN~

• Socialized
  • ~Miss Molly Brown~
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 06:41:35 AM »
I agree with Leanne~ Boxers want to be with their people. Can you put the crate in your bedroom? Or get a smaller crate/pet carrier to temporarily use?
Kathy & Molly Brown 5/16/06

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 09:23:18 AM »
Can I ask why she's crated in the basement and not in a family area?  Or is the basement a family area?  Crate training can be made a little easier if she's in a well-used area that will smell strongly of family.

Also, if she's too far away from you in her crate, how can she cry loud enough to wake you when she needs to potty in the middle of the night?  An 8 week old needs at least 2 potty trips during the night, they aren't nearly old enough to hold it all night.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 09:43:12 AM »
I crate my dogs in my bedroom. If they cry you can lie next to them for comfort, even with your hand in the crate. My dogs would cry now if they were crated in the basement and away from their family.
Amber

Krister182

• Vet Checked
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »
It might take a day or two of her crying. I would definitly bring her up to your room to sleep. You have to hear her whine to go potty in the night (or you are undoing all your potty training work) and also she will probably be more calm there. I know when we put Kalia in the crate that first night you'd have thought we were killing her. She screamed for over an hour solid. I laid down on the floor next to the crate and let her lick my fingers through the bars. She finally settled and went to sleep. By the third night she was fine with being there. Also whatever you do DO NOT let her out after a period of whining because you can't take it anymore. You have to let her cry it out. If you do let her out, even once, she's going to learn crying gets her out of the crate and it will only last twice as long next time you put her in there. Good luck! Arent puppies fun??  ;)

Kalia 3.29.06                  Atlas 5.25.05               Cobe 7.4.96 - 8.15.07

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 10:11:37 AM »
You have to hear her whine to go potty in the night (or you are undoing all your potty training work)

This is a VERY good point. An 8 week old puppy isn't physically able to hold it all night - she needs nightly potty trips. You have to have her nearby to know when she's stirring and needs to go out. If she's forced to soil her crate it can become a habit and the crate will cease to be of any use to you for housetraining.
Amber

abbeyroad

• Just Whelped
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
My husband put the crate in the basement I think because the yelping has been keeping our six year old awake and she has school so early in the morning but it also could be because the crate for his boxer when he was younger at home was in the basement.  She screams for hours and I can usually tell the difference between the yelps already especially when she will go both before going in the cage and then the yelping starts and she will rest shortly for less than an hour and when she starts to yelp again you can tell it is a different one so I take her out and put her back in and it starts again for hours.  I will talk to my husband about moving her cage when he comes for dinner tonight.  He works 3pm-2am so he usually takes her out when he gets home and then she is down for a few hours unless he puts her in the cage.
Is it horrible to let her sleep with a family member????

~CLOWN~

• Socialized
  • ~Miss Molly Brown~
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »

Is it horrible to let her sleep with a family member????

I think most of us have pups that sleep with us!! As long as you can tell when she has to get up and potty, I think it would be fine. Maybe some plastic under your sheets would be a good idea  :)
Kathy & Molly Brown 5/16/06

abbeyroad

• Just Whelped
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
Well that makes me feel much better because I remember when I had my children it was a known rule that allowing a child to sleep with you was a horrible mistake and that it would come back to haunt you.  She will lay down and sleep for hours if  i take her with me and I am a very light sleeper so I can tell when she gets up and as soon as she stirs to stand I take her out and she has not even come close to going on my bed.  When she sleeps with my husband on the couch she can get down by herself and he doesn't realize and a few days ago she had several accidents during the night in the kitchen because he didn't realize she was up at all.  That has stopped.....he is too heavy of a sleeper.  I just didn't want to undermine any good work by letting her be with me.  I am releaved to hear the pups stay with thier owners.

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 03:49:30 PM »
We let Bruce sleep with us.  He was always touching me so when he stirred I woke up (even though I'm usually a very heavy sleeper).  So when he woke up I'd take him out immedieately and he go right back to sleep when we got inside.

There's some recomendation/equation about how long a puppy can hold it's bladder at rest, but it escapes my memory...

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »
Well keep in mind, if you allow her to sleep with you now, you'll still have to let her when she's 50-6lbs.   If that's ok by you, it's not horrible.

I suspect if she isn't trapped away from you and you don't respond to her cries, she'll start settling much quicker.   We gave in to Xena the first two nights and let her out of the kitchen (didn't have a crate) - boy what a mistake!  So then we decided to wait her out.. the first night was miserable but we refused to make a peep in recognition of her complaints.   The second night, we heard a little fussing and then it was right off to dreamland. 

Have you been doing crate training with her at other times that tells her the crate is a safe comfortable place to be?  Probably a lesson she hasn't learned if she gets stuck all the way in the basement everytime she's put in it  :confused:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »
Letting your dog sleep with you is a personal choice. My dogs sleep with me all the time, if they have permission (or if they can sneak up without waking me after I go to sleep ::) ). But you have to teach them rules - they are not allowed on the bed if you don't want them there.

Also, remember that a puppy will need to potty at night. Some puppies will cry to let you know, but some will potty on your bed while you sleep! :o If you are a heavy sleeper, it might not work out very well.

If you bring the crate upstairs and she cries you can do a few things so that your daughter can sleep. You can lie next to the crate to calm her, you can play low music or turn the TV on low, you can stuff a towel or blanket under your bedroom door and your daughter's bedroom door, you can put a heavy blanket over the crate.
Amber

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
You can always do nightly potty trips, but it's not unheard of for a puppy to hold it all night if they go right before bed.  I had 2-3 at home between weeks 8-11 and nobody had nightly accidents - and the ones who were home at 8 weeks slept through the night in their crates also.

Although they were keeping the exercise area of the whelping room pretty clean by 7 weeks...and not going in their whelping box at all by 5 weeks, and that was free choice...

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »
Yep, I've heard of some puppies who don't need to go at night. Koda sure did though - like clockwork every night at 3AM for about three weeks. ::)
Amber

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »
Brody slept with us from day 1 and so did Jax.  It was easier having Brody sleep with us to tell us when he needed to go out.  He would wake up, and either whine or lick your face, then we'd take him outside, he'd do his business, then it was back to bed.  But now he's 16 weeks and doesn't need to go out at night - he usually sleeps for a good 7-9 hours before he needs a potty break.
Riley - 9/19/2008