Author Topic: Start New Training Club Tomorrow  (Read 1957 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Start New Training Club Tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
True, words are needed for getting the dog to look at you, but hand signals are more natural.  You are actually probably giving Bruce tons of cues w/your body that you don't even know about.  It's just that we humans are chatty little monkeys, so we like using our mouths alot.

I found that when I incorporated the hand signal into the 'sit' command for Dash (a command his first owners had *attempted* to teach him) he was doing it reliably much faster than Xena, who I taught with words and molding.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:51 AM »
The hard thing for me is the new class wants them to sit at our side so it makes hand signals more difficult...he's getting it slowly but I can tell he's a bit confused by the new request - luring with a treat is working well though.

We've never used molding on Bruce (just luring) so it was rather intertaing when my sister couldn't get a sit from him with just the verbal and tried to mold him (the proper way, not pushing on his butt).  He was like "Lady I don't know you that well, get your hands away from my Booty!"  They just kept doing circles until she gave up.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
Ok this is the question I asked the trainer -

I know you stress word association and not hand signal for training.   However, in the class they stress hand.  (we use word, she is really good at it now).   Wondering why one is chosen over the other

This is Her Answer

Great question! Hand signals are easier for dogs. But we expect our dogs to listen to us. So, because of our expectations dogs need to learn words. I see this a lot with "down". Most people bend over when teaching this. If the dog is lying down reliably, at this point the people assume the dog knows "down". Then they get upset when they ask for "down" and the dog doesn't do it. Remember dogs will always default to body language. I add hand signals well after the word is fully known to the dog.
CONGRATS ON YOUR GRADUATION HANNA!!!! /color]
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »
Ah, so she'd modelling the training to work for the human first, dog second.  It's an approach. 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Arbies mom

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
Hi,
Yo'ul be fine! It's hard, but try to relax yourself. We started in beginners class February and moved onto the next stage March.It is an open field with alot of classes all going on in certain areas. My first weeks were HELL!! Arbie would pull, bark, not listen, growl, bite etc etc etc.!! The trainers are fantastic. two have owned boxers, and worked with us individually and even took over when I was unable to hold him.. We were actually able to get involved in the last two classes. It was commented by other owners that they thought he was a different dog. I have found that by being confident in myself and not 'getting in a state' when Arbie does something wrong, rubs off on him and he focuses more. Also, I take him 10.30a.m on Sunday so I only give him half his breakfast at 8.00a.m and fill my pockets with all sorts; some of his usual breakfast, banana, carrot, cheese, squeeky toy (in fact anything to keep his attention) When they get bored of one thin you can introduce another! I find this works. Sorry the posts so long. I just hope it gives you some help. Good luck. :)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »
Christen - I'm sorry I missed this back when it was actually current! I hope things are improving at the training club. It sure is frustrating, and sort of embarassing, to be pulled in two different directions. But just remember that you are totally within your rights to tell the pushy trainer that you will not necessarily go along with every technique she wants you to use. Correction-heavy training isn't fun, and it doesn't work that well for Bruce, so you can feel totally comfortable in refusing to use it.
Amber