Author Topic: little worried  (Read 1842 times)

Bentleys mom

• Fully Weaned
  • Sir cone head
little worried
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:12:47 PM »
Bentley is starting doggie school for the first time,my concern is they don't use treats to train and i have a hard enough time getting him to do what i want with treats!  :uhoh:They also use hand signals only..anyone have luck with this type of training??
Wish me luck  :bugout:

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: little worried
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »
I use hand signals along with the verbal.  To start with I did clicker too and handsignals with ttreats...talk about needing addition hands.  Then I went soley to verbal and hand signals.  I liked this method alot with Hailey, she was the one that was trained this way and I am continuing with Phoebe.

Good luck, I think you may find you do like it.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:41:31 PM »
Wow, what's their reasoning for that?  Don't they know you can fade them out later?Do they allow some kind of reward, like toys or play?  It's odd to me because taking individual dogs into account, some are not toy or play motivated, but would work well for food.

I do find that dogs learn very quickly with hand signals... body language is much clearer to dogs than verbal language.   However I would be concerned if the class doesn't allow for *some* type of reward -  a dog isn't going to have motivation to learn when there is nothing in it for them.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bentleys mom

• Fully Weaned
  • Sir cone head
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:11 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking Julia, no reward no motivation.
He's smart but stubborn so he definately needs motivation.
He hasn't started class yet,begins this wk so I'm going to get some more info.

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »
Oh wow . . . Wish you guys luck!!  :thumbsup:
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »
I doubt my boys would do anything if a treat wasn't in it for them!
Riley - 9/19/2008

highdrama

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
Hand signals are far better than your voice.  Imagine you being at a distant from your dog and needing to convey a command, by using a hand signal you can carry off the command without shouting to be heard.  Also hand signals don't change in pitch or tone, unlike your voice.

Re the treats, totally don't agree with that.  Treats should always be used IMO and then gradually phased out once training becomes a learned behaviour. 

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:41:33 AM »
I have alot of friends who are very successful at dog training who never use food, using mainly praise - you might be surprised at how much you can get out of a dog by being very clear with them that you are really happy with their effort -

Bentleys mom

• Fully Weaned
  • Sir cone head
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:06:35 PM »
Hand signals are far better than your voice.  Imagine you being at a distant from your dog and needing to convey a command, by using a hand signal you can carry off the command without shouting to be heard.  Also hand signals don't change in pitch or tone, unlike your voice.

Re the treats, totally don't agree with that.  Treats should always be used IMO and then gradually phased out once training becomes a learned behaviour. 
Good point! I appriciate everyones advice and opinions,I can't wait to see how B does in school I'm very excited for him ;D

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
Bentley is gonna do great!

Some dogs work for praise. Keenan is one of those dogs, but treats never hurt! We also use hand signals because they're consistent. I'm starting to introduce the word now, but he responded very well to hand signals.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »
Well I didn't mean no treats = no reward, as Renee mentioned, showing your dog that you are happy can work well.  But personally with a beginner dog, I'd want something beyond my voice unless the dog was *really* a sucker for praise. 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »
Some dogs are not that motivated by praise - you have to find what works for your dog. I'm surprised at any trainer who automatically rules out one very successful motivator. My worry would be that they would rely more on corrections than motivations. Let us know how it goes!
Amber

Bentleys mom

• Fully Weaned
  • Sir cone head
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »
Some dogs are not that motivated by praise - you have to find what works for your dog. I'm surprised at any trainer who automatically rules out one very successful motivator. My worry would be that they would rely more on corrections than motivations. Let us know how it goes!
I sure will we start on Wednesday. :thumbsup:

HeartBeatAtFeet

• Potty Trained
  • Always with us Madden
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 04:47:28 PM »
How did this class go?   Im just reading this now  lol
Megan

Dakota: Flashy Fawn - 3-28-06 
Sir Tumbles (the cat)..   rescued..  6ish years old
R.I.P. My Madden..  We miss you so much!