Author Topic: Resource Guarding  (Read 17117 times)

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
Re: Resource Guarding
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »
Our thanks to you all providing guidance and information.  We really appreciate learning to recognize differences between behaviors and try to avoid certain situations.  It helps us all become better trainers! 

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:
Max, CGC, TP 5/3/03 - 8/27/09  :angel:

BainGhana

• Weanling
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »
This is all great...And something that I have done with harley all his life. Hand feed kibble. Give treats then take etc.
One thing I did not see on here though is resource guarding toward other household pets. Unless I missed it of course. But I would like to ad that once Elmo came into the picture, 7 weeks ago I had to quickly begin showing harley that Elmo was no threat to him, or his food. So what I did was I would take 1 treat (puppy bisquit for example) break it in half. and give them each 1 half. let them chew it for a minute. Take it up from both and the swap. Works great. This way the other dogs scent is on the treat...Therefore they view it as oh wow Harley/Elmo gave me a treat. Cool. Same with food. I put 2 plates down. right next to each other. let each eat half the food on plate. Then swap plates out too. This way they are learning to not be aggressive toward me when I take up food, and also view food as a source from their pack partners too.

Bruddahs...Forever

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
Bain - Where did you learn this technique? It seems a little unrealistic. Afterall YOU are handing these things or "providing access" to your dogs. They aren't stupid, they know that the food is coming from you.

Something smelling like the other dog means very little - unless you think my dogs are learning to share because one lays down in a spot that smells like the other?

Also, at Elmo's young age, dog-to-dog resource guarding isn't likely to occur. You might not have had trouble with previous dogs, but given that many dogs don't have resource issues with each other, that wouldn't provide any "proof" to this method.

Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »
I've not heard of that one either. I suppose it might help them learn to share, just by desensitizing them to trading things, but I suspect they still know that the biscuit comes from Mama! :yes:
Amber