Author Topic: Resource Guarding  (Read 17735 times)

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Resource Guarding
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
So what to do when its a dog on dog resource guarding with stealing toys and growling, etc?  Or trying to take each other's treats?
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »
IMO, you can't do anything effectively unless it's consistent... and it won't be consistent unless Andy is on board. He is likely to undo or undermine anything you try if he allows that sort of behavior.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »
You also want to keep in mind that he's resource guarding when he blocks you two from playing with Felix.  He's treating you guys and Felix as resources that he can control, which does imply he thinks he's leader at least part of the time.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
It's a touchy thing when it's dog-on-dog resource guarding. They should be able to stand up for themselves, but it's easy to cross the line into bullying.

Have you read any of Patricia MacConnel's books? "The Other End of the Leash" and "Feeling Outnumbered?" are two I'd recommend for anyone with more than one dog.
Amber

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 09:32:27 AM »
We have had Rex for 2.5 weeks and yesterday, while I was getting everyone's food in their dishes, Rex started fighting with Max, our first male (5.5 years old.)  Again, this morning when Mocha and Max were outside, I started filling all the dishes when Max came back inside and Rex stood in the doorway between our kitchen and front doorway where the food bin is and was barking horribly at Max with his hair up.  Max did not come forward and start fighting with Rex.  :angel:  I was wondering how we could alleviate this scenario.   ???

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:
Max, CGC, TP 5/3/03 - 8/27/09  :angel:

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »
I was wondering how we could alleviate this scenario.   ???
First thing you have to do is establish your authority in your pack.  ;)
You are the one who makes the rules, not them.
Vicky

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

Yes, we definitely let him know we weren't happy with that performance by crating him after giving him the firm "NO" and getting him to the crate by his collar/scruff of his neck - they are so close together...   ;)  But then what?  Do we just keep repeating that, or should we crate him before every dinnertime so he doesn't have an opportunity to assert himself?  Thank you!!

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »
I'd work on general "pack leader" status - and set all dogs up for success in the meantime. So if you think there will be stress/tension - you should put the dogs in a situation where they can't get into trouble. What this mean depends on their level of training.

My two will "fight" (snarl, jump) over dinner. So they have specific dinner spots where they get fed in the dining room that are about 10 feet apart. They both know to "assume the position" when I pick up the food bowls (I prepare dinner on the counter) - I've taught them to wait until I give the OK, but of course I had to train the "wait" command first. I put the bowls down, wait as long as I feel like (I can do jumping jacks if I want to) and then I give them a release.

I used to wait between them to be sure they didn't get in each other's space or try to sneak into the other bowls. They've since learned that isn't allowed - once they are both done eating, they will switch bowls in the hopes of leftovers (which are never there). If they attempted to snarf about empty bowls, the bowls would be immediately picked up after I decided they were done.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »

Yes, we definitely let him know we weren't happy with that performance by crating him after giving him the firm "NO" and getting him to the crate by his collar/scruff of his neck - they are so close together...   ;)  But then what?  Do we just keep repeating that, or should we crate him before every dinnertime so he doesn't have an opportunity to assert himself?  Thank you!!

First of all, I would take the collars off in the house so you don't have the temptation of pulling them around by the collars. Being the benevolent leader of your pack doesn't have anything to do with punishment for bad behaviors. It has to do with controlling the resources fairly and consistently so that everyone can relax and get along. I recommend you read some books on dog behavior: "The Other End of the Leash" and "Feeling Outnumbered?" in particular. I don't know if we would have been a successful multiple dog household without the knowledge I gained from these books. I cannot stress enough the importance of understanding your dog's behavior and using that knowledge to manage their actions.

Also, I wouldn't even be feeding the new dog in the same room as your other dogs at this point, it's way too soon. He should be eating in another room, even in his crate if necessary. You should only introduce him slowly to the group eating area at meal times. This is just an extremely high tension time/place, you should look for potential problems like this and take steps to avoid them. It's always easier to prevent fights than to break them up.
Amber

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the good information. 
I had been feeding them all together, several feet apart since we brought Rex home, and there wasn't any problems until 2 days ago.  Why would Rex start now with this behavior?  What is making him change? 

Wendy

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 07:18:10 AM »
He's getting more comfortable in his new home and trying to find his place in the pack (BTW, his place is not determined by "order of arrival," - his personality may not be a "bottom dog" personality).

It also may not help that Max is ill, that's often unsettling to a pack.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
Rex is a young male...and he is trying to ascertain where he fits...it may be numero uno, and it may not be. I have this same situation going on in my home.  Willie was very passive when he arrived and settled in as the lower rankinf male...but suddenly he had decided he wants that Alpha male position...

I will NOT allow any tiffs to happen when there is food around...none3.  If they have issues with each other and food is around I will not either feed or remove it (if that can be done safely for me)...I also feed in areas that are designated to them...all in the same area, but at least 4 feet differentiating their spots from each other.

Good luck...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »
Ditto others - he's realized he's going to be staying in this pack so he is now beginning to "settle in". This process is sometimes very smooth, and it's sometimes anything but.
Amber

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:33 AM »
Thanks again!  This advice seems to me like it would work with my household.  
Their dishes are 4, 6 and 11 feet apart.  Rex and Mocha's are the closest together, then Mugs then Max out at 11 feet from Rex's and 15 from Mocha.  
Our vet assistant says the neutering should curb this jockeying for alpha - is this true, or since it has gotten this far, will he always be trying to upstage Max?  We're very concerned about this.  
Thanks again.

Wendy

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 09:16:14 AM »
Chances are is this is a learned behavior neutering will most likely not change.  Neutering in general does not change a dog's behavior.  That's what the Vets among others would like us all to believe.  ::)
Vicky