Author Topic: Resource Guarding  (Read 17734 times)

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Resource Guarding
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
When it comes to food she is a piglet (That's her nickname.).
Joyce

Stolimom

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
Stoli and Harley have always been really good w/ this..when they were little we always make sure we touched them while they eat or sit w/ them...they dont mind at all if we move their bowl or anything..very good that way...
Delinda~Mommy to Stoli & Harley Girl

Mizorie

• Just Whelped
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »
This is a great thread but resource guarding doesn't always pertain to food. It could be a spot on the sofa or bed with a growl or snapping when you attempt to move your dog, any ideas stopping this before it gets out of hand?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 02:03:51 PM »
Miz - The basic concept remains the same - take control of the resource.  If the resource is the bed, don't allow the dog on the bed unless you give it a command (permission).  Work on an "off" or "out" command (I suggest starting on leash so you can enforce it w/out putting your hands on the dog) and teach them to leave a room or space when you say so.

I've noticed there seems to be a little of this that happens typically at their teenage stage (6-12mos or thereabouts), and if you just keep the rules clear, it passes fairly uneventfully.  We had to restrict Xena's couch access during her brat stage 'cause she would growl at us for bumping into her or she'd even hump us!  She lost couch privileges until she behaved!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:41:14 PM by BoxerWB »
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Mizorie

• Just Whelped
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
Sweet and I understand the concept. It hasn't been a real issue for Vega and I don't intend on letting it become one. Just wanted to ensure the one time it did happen, I did the right thing. Thanks for the quick response :)
"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »
This is a great thread Amber. I musta missed this before. But I have a question...

The other night, I gave Rubi a bully stick when a friend of ours came over. Its helped in the past to keep her from jumping and licking on whoever comes in the door. She was good, played with her stick and went to lay down. Didn't bother us at all. But when he left, I went to take the bully away, and this has never happened..... She went completely still, held the stick tightly in her mouth and wouldn't look at me, even moved away a lil bit when I walked towards her (she was laying down). So, I could tell this was a uh oh, and backed off. :o Instead of grabbing it and trying to take it away, I told her to drop it, which took a few tries, but she finally did and I grabbed it and gave her another treat. (and lots of praise and play afterwards)

Now here's my question. I've ALWAYS been able to take her toys away, stick my hand in her food, take treats away, Anything.  We've done the techniques you mentioned in this thread since the day we brought her home. This issue was very important to me as I've had dogs that you couldn't go near while eating. But she doesn't get bullies that often (she's obsessed with em, and used to try to burry them), and up until now, when she did have them...I could always take them away no problem. So, is this something that I need to keep working on? Why all of a sudden did this seem like an issue if we have no problems with anything else? Could it potentially get worse? Did I do ok by grabbing the treat when she dropped it? I kinda felt like I had to snatch it away to 1) avoid getting bit, and 2) make sure she didn't grab it first.

It just surprises me that all of a sudden she stiffed up and wouldn't let me grab it. It has never been an issue before, and it's not one that I want to let go on. So any advice anyone has, would be a Big help.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »
Precious snapped at Danielle once for taking her bone away.  I told her bad girl and put it up.  Since then I often take her bones from her and then tell her good girl and give them back.  I have never had any trouble since that one time.  Danielle can take them away too now.
Joyce

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 09:07:12 AM »
Dawn - What you are describing doesn't sound *exactly* like resource guarding.  It actually sounds alot like the description in one of my dog books (I believe it was Bones) of a dog trying to politely tell you they want to keep their toy.  The book describes a little puppy turning away and avoiding eye contact when an older dog approached and went to take her bone.  Not growling, no threats, just avoidance.  It sounds like what Dash does with marrow bones - he's just so happy to have one, he doesn't really want to give it back.  He won't really drop it for me and he'll do the turn away and eye avoidance, but if I reach for it, he lets me pull it away.

I think asking her to drop it and praising her was the right choice, because you got to show her that you taking away her bully wasn't such a bad thing.  Perhaps you could even work with just taking the bully a couple times and then giving it back so she can finish it.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 09:01:51 AM »
I think Julia's advice is great. It seems like she didn't really want to give up the bone, but she wouldn't necessarily have gone any further. It's something to be proactive about, but don't put too much weight in it just yet. I'd say give her the bully more often so it's not such a major big deal. And work on trading it and taking/returning it every time she has one.
Amber

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I've started to work more with it already, so hopefully it's nothing more than what it is. She got another bone this weekend and I would take it away, make it a game, and trade for treats, etc. She seemed fine with that, but then later on, I started to see "that look" again when she had her ball. I was able to take it away, but she did back up and tense a lil bit, just a couple of times. So we'll definitely keep working on it. I don't want to read too much into it right away, ya know...could definitely create problems. Carefull whatchu wish for, right?! LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 09:14:32 AM »
Sounds like she's doing fine.  They allowed to want to keep their stuff on occasion  ;)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »
Today my girls got their first experience with raw bones, and Lucy growled at me when she thought I was going to take the bone from her. I didn't make a fuss, I just told her to leave the bone and go in the house (she did, good girl) and I put the bone in the refrigerator. I think tomorrow I will try holding the bone while she chews it (yuck) and see if I can get her to understand that I'm not a threat to her bone.

It kind of broke my heart a little that she growled at me, it's the first time that's ever happened. But we had a talk about it and she apologized and we agreed to work on the issue again. ;D
Amber

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »
Awww . . . I'm sure Lucy will learn that you aren't going to take her bone away from her.  Are you?   :laugh4:
I'm glad you bumped this topic up.  I need to re-read the whole thing and see if I can find how to work through Romy's issues.  She's NEVER been prone to resource guarding with a human, but you put another dog in the picture and it's a whole 'nuther story!  She eats her kibble from her bowl in the kitchen with Rudy only 5 feet away, but when it comes to their raw meals, I HAVE to make sure she's completely by herself and finished before the dogs can mingle again.  Not a huge deal, but still a bit of a pain.
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 08:59:52 PM »
I decided not to wait until tomorrow, so I got the bones back out. At first I held the bone while she gnawed on it. It worked pretty well except it was sort of hard to hold onto and I was a little worried she might slip and get my finger as she was exercising those super strong jaws. After awhile I gave her the bone and she took it to a corner of the yard. I didn't really like her taking it and sort of hiding away with it, so I followed and sat near her and praised her for being calm. After a little bit I called her away from the bone and gave her some treats, then told her to go back to the bone. After a couple of times I asked her to leave the bone and go back in the house. She looked back at the bone a few times, and started heading back a couple of times, but when I corrected her she quickly turned back to me. When I got her inside I gave her lots of treats and praise, then I went back out to get the bone and put it away.

It seems like slow progress, but the last thing in the world I'd ever want to do is push my dogs into biting me or anyone else. So I'll take baby steps just to be sure. I'll probably never try to take the bone from her, but I will work toward being able to pet her while she chews the bone, and as long as she will drop it and leave it on command I'll be happy with that.
Amber

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »
Sounds like major progress to me, Bers!  Good job,  . . .  BOTH of you! 
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08