Author Topic: Add ins and indigestion  (Read 1324 times)

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Add ins and indigestion
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:17:08 PM »
 We use a pretty short list of add ins to our raw food. We use north atlantic Salmon oil once daily. Brewers yeast once daily, And All in one organic suppliment (Wholistic Canine complete) once daily, and unfiltered ACV once daily.  We give the brewers yeast and the acv at morning feeding. And the salmon oil and supplement in evening. I think one of these is giving Keanu a bit of indigestion. Anyone have trouble combining any of these things, or maybe with one alone?

This is the ingediance of the suppliment.
Ingredients: Certified Organic Kelp, Certified Organic Flax Seed, Organic Bee Pollen, Hydrolyzed Whitefish (Whole, Dried Fish Fillet), Vitamin C*, Certified Organic Garlic, Organic Lecithin, Certified Organic Spirulina, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Amylase, Protease, Protease II, Protease III, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase, Peptizyme SP , Maltase, Invertase, Bromelain. *Vitamin C as Ester C

Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Add ins and indigestion
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
How much ACV do you give?  I only give Precious one capful in her food at night.  I really have no idea for sure but am thinking that the ACV might be too acidic for him.  I know I can't drink orange juice because it gives me acid reflux and heartburn.
Joyce

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »
That is what I first suspect too. But I only give a little. I don't really measure. Just a quik splash. Maybe I need to do less. He got Just 1 plain Chicken Back (good size) tonight and no noticable burping or reflux. Will just keep it plain for him for a bit then add back in one by one. But I too suspect the ACV.

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »
i have that same trouble with add ins, and drive myself crazy with suspicions which one is causing it.  I cut back their dogzymes because of the runs last week, then decided that was stupid because with runs they need them more than ever, so i upped them starting yesterday.  hubby does the poop clean up, so i'll have to see if he found splat cow piles, or firm poops.

i give vetty glucosamine w/MSM, but it for sure gives thor the runs.

the  batch of home cooked a last month gave them the runs.  Then I realized hubby went over board with sweet potatoes in that batch  ::)

it's a fine balance and sometimes i wonder if thor especially would do better on just dry canidae.  I've been making batches of home cooked chicken broth and freezing it, nuking it as needed and adding it to their canidae.  They love it and gobble up their food.  1/2 the broth I'll add rice and freeze those and on lite days they get that.

i'm thinking sometimes less is more with my two, so i'm rotating their raw, dry, homecooked and giving more dry.

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:52:25 PM »
There is a school of thought that says they need none of these things. I have nothing but good reports from the vet, so I'm staying the coarse, but need to adjust Keanu's a bit. Just got to figure what is the culprit.

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »
i'd start with the acv like joyce said.  vetty had the eating grass pukey biles last week.  i got real concerned when it looked like lemon pudding came up right after she ate a liver treat and there was no treat in it!

she seemed otherwise fine and had a good appetite.  later on that day she puked up some beef bone, so i think it's on the bone days that they have trouble.  something i'm watching.  they used to just eat the good stuff and not eat the actual bones, but lately they been pulverizing the bones too.

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:05:14 PM »
Some bone is to dense. We were having trouble with Keanu and heavy wings. Switched to backs and never an issue. What type of beef bone are they eating? Maybe too dense for their system.

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »
bumpy, my BF's dad take organic apple cider vinegar to help CURE his heartburn. He said it works like a champ.

maybe humans and dogs digest things different but thought that was interesting.

sounds like something is upsetting his belly.

BTW, we don't do many add-ins with the raw. Premade in the AM w/ fish oils and organic yogurt. 1 large chicken back for dinner. treats are dried meat jerky or banana chips.

hope you figure it out.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »
Funny you say that about the ACV as I just read that elsewhere. Hmmmm the mystery goes on.

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »
How do you give the ACV? I've been wanting to start giving that. I bought cheap generic ACV then read it's supposed to be unfiltered organic - I have no idea wha to do with it.
Lisa, Mom to Daisy, Poppy and Archie; Forever missing Duey

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
What type of beef bone are they eating? Maybe too dense for their system.

angus beef bones.  vetty had a large one the other day, and damn if she didn't eat the whole thing bone and all.

at the MO meetup all the other dogs chowed down on them bone and all too.  You should have seen precious and bruce.  chomp chomp chomp- down the hatch!

what was that joyce - like 3 mins?   :eek:  I couldn't believe it.  I'd never seen a dog eat an entire beef bone.  My yard and house is usually a bone yard and I have to do sweeps to clear them out.  The roasted bones I let them keep, but even there I can have 15 of them around here, so I clean those out too.

mine just started polishing off the raw beef bones.

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »
How do you give the ACV? I've been wanting to start giving that. I bought cheap generic ACV then read it's supposed to be unfiltered organic - I have no idea wha to do with it.
you just give a spoonfull or small slash in their food daily, or some folks add it to there drinking water. Depends on how miss Daisy will take it.

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 09:20:30 AM »
I doubt that it is the ACV. I too take it for my acid reflux and it works great.

But the best solution would be to cut out all supplements for a week or two and see whether it makes any difference. If it doesn't then it is his food, if it does make a difference then start adding them back in one at a time and see if you can determine which one causes the problem.

I would suspect it is something in his food, and not the supplements.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 09:26:31 AM »
Well, We have only been off them for 1 day. But, last night he got 1 plain Chix back.....no issues.  This AM he got Some pre made Chix mix and some Sardine. So for no issue.
  Yesterday when we had a little scare. He had Rabbit. Maybe that did it. Time will tell.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 09:28:52 AM »
I only add in on alternate days salmon oil, drops of echinacea, norweighen kelp (one a week) and garlic.   

I do have ACV but have not used it.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash