Author Topic: How much liver  (Read 595 times)

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
How much liver
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:23:27 PM »
is a serving? I bought 1 lb of liver and now I don't know what to do with it.
I heard once you're not supposed to mix proteins? Like chicken and beef. I guess I think that is silly but I just want to make sure. So I could give some liver with the chicken meals.
Lisa, Mom to Daisy, Poppy and Archie; Forever missing Duey

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: How much liver
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »
 I personally don't think mixing protiens is a big deal. Others may disagree, and if there is a real good reason I will learn something too. You could split that into 2 meals. Mix with some other stuff. I buy the 1 lb'ers and feed one meal with two dogs mixed with some pre made.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »
Thanks, I guess I thought that was a lot - but I suppose if you don't give it every day it's not. How often do you feed it?
Lisa, Mom to Daisy, Poppy and Archie; Forever missing Duey

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:59:34 PM »
I noticed if I feed too much liver we get poo issues. Liver is very rich.

I also mix up proteins. Don't see a big issue with it. Most kibble has 2 protein sources.
I guess it's trial and error. See what works for miss daisy and go from there.good luck.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Not too often. once every few weeks or up to a month. I usually stop in the super market to get the dogs a special treat dinner. Something they don't get all the time. This is why I don't stress over it being too mutch. I don't feed it that often, and when I have there has been no issue's. They love it, But it's a little gross to cut up. I find holding it up and cutting with sharp kitchen scissors works well.

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »
Mine get beef liver about once a week.  No more than that for sure.  What's so gross?  Especially if you slice it while it's still a tiny bit frozen.  You need a good sharp chef's knife - cuts it like butta!
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:21:57 PM »
I have always fed right from the market, unfrozen. Bit squishy.

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »
I got a BUNCH of beef liver for free last time I stopped by our meat market.  It's already frozen so I just have to remember to thaw out a package for their dinner once a week!  I've found that if I slice it up pretty small, they eat it better.  And I always sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on it, cause I'd rather smell garlic than fresh liver!   :P  But cooked liver is worse!
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 12:02:28 AM »
Now I like cooked liver...

I think 1 pound is good for at least 2 meals depending on Daisy's size.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 06:31:26 AM »
I usually feed small amounts of liver with other meals, like ground and maybe a bit of kidney, heart or tripe mixed in because liver is very rich and can cause belly aches if fed too much in one sitting.

My understanding is that the problem comes in when people feed multiple proteins that always include chicken (and most people do because chicken is cheapest.) So feeding multiple protein sources at one time isn't the real issue, rather, you just want to make sure to feed a lot of variety and give breaks from singular protein sources over time. The thought is that if you feed chicken ALL the time, you're more likely to develop an allergy to that protein. If you feed lots of variety and give the dog a break from chicken, there's no issue with feeding multiple proteins at once.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 09:29:08 AM »
I mix the liver in with the ground up mix I make, and they get this every morning. I normally have about 30% ground up veggies, 30% chunked ground up meat and 30% liver/kidneys/heart. I never worry about mixing proteins, for example, this week my dogs are having a ground beef/beef heart mix as their ground up meat, and then I just have liver and I am using pork liver this week. Last week they had ground up turkey with the pork liver. I bought a case of pork liver so this month we are doing a lot of pork, once that is done I will buy maybe lamb liver/kidneys etc.

I normally just cut the liver up into big chunks, if it needs cutting, and add it in with everything else. In this way they are always getting liver mixed in with their food, but never getting too much of it in one sitting.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
Gosh god bless you all.  I buy the beef heart, and not the liver, it looks sooo slimey and gross, dont think I could stomach it.  However beef hearts are like steak tips, nice texture to them.  And they are a big hit in my house.

I just used my meat grinder and made a mix of chix hearts, livers and ground turkey, with some carrots and broccoli, added in a dash of garlic and some parsley (for breath).    My dogs were happy campers!!!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:15:39 PM »
Gosh god bless you all.  I buy the beef heart, and not the liver, it looks sooo slimey and gross, dont think I could stomach it.  However beef hearts are like steak tips, nice texture to them.  And they are a big hit in my house.

I just used my meat grinder and made a mix of chix hearts, livers and ground turkey, with some carrots and broccoli, added in a dash of garlic and some parsley (for breath).    My dogs were happy campers!!!
  H.....try freezing it and then chopping it up. Less smileroooo!