Author Topic: Puppy vs Adult food  (Read 964 times)

Amy and Ozzie

• Weanling
Puppy vs Adult food
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »
We are currently feeding Ozzie Canidae and I like the fact that it is an All Life Stages food & he has been doing great on it.  Our current bag is getting low and we would like to rotate him to a different food.  We haven't had good luck with Natural Balance or Merricks and were considering Innova or California Natural based on what I read on previous posts.  My question is, since Ozzie is 6 months, do we need to feed him the puppy formulas?  I would like to expose him to different protein sources, but it seems like the puppy formulas are all chicken or lamb based.  Should we stick with puppy formulas, or is it okay to feed him the adult foods with different protein sources?  Thank you!
-Amy

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Puppy vs Adult food
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:06:06 PM »
Well I know for certain at very least that Cali Nat is all life stages, so puppy formula isn't neccessary.  I think they keep those formulas around more for marketing and people who feel like puppy food is "necessary."

Also, I would stay away from any "novel protein" source type foods for now.  If your pup develops an allergy later, it will be difficult to find a meat source he hasn't tried if you have already gone through the venison/rabbit/duck type formulas.   Chicken and Lamb and good, fairly common but allow some switching.  Canidae actually has a ton of protein sources in small amount, so there is variety right within the bag.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
I don't feed puppy and kitten formulas at all anymore. I think it's more a gimich than anything else. What in the world does a wild canine do for her pups? Make them special, higher protein food? Nope, she just feeds them what she eats.

I agree with Julia about the "novel protein" diets. You never know when you'll need to try something different for health reasons. It's one thing that bothers me about Canidae - why do they have to have so many darn protein sources?
Amber

Amy and Ozzie

• Weanling
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
Thank you for your responses!  It's greatly appreciated!
I guess I am a little confused...  there was an article posted that talked about how it was important to rotate foods and protein sources to help prevent allegeries from developing.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm
I thought introducing new protein sources was a good thing?  Did I completely misread the article?  (A real possibility!).  Or is this maybe a debated issue?
Confused,
Amy

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »
No, rotating protein sources IS a good idea. It's just that your dog could develop food allergies at any time in his/her life, and in that case you will need to switch to a "novel protein" source. That means a protein your dog has never eaten before. The special formula foods like duck and potato, fish and sweet potato, venison, rabbit - these are for novel protein sources. You don't want to end up ordering bags of kangaroo based dog food if your dog ever develops allergies!

Rotating between chicken/lamb/beef is really good enough, but Canidae includes several protein sources including fish and I think turkey, so fish would no longer be a novel protein after they eat Canidae.
Amber