Author Topic: Obedience question  (Read 1293 times)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Obedience question
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:33:45 AM »
Ok so most of you have read my thread about the beginners obedience class that I am taking Abby to. I have been on the fence about this trainers training methods and unsure if I want to continue with her. I didnt like the immediate use of prong collars in class #1, no treats, no "touch" praising, no interaction iwth the other dogs.  I trained with Abby on my own and she does wonderfully, so I am confident I could train her to do the basics, sit, stay, down, etc. But I think she would be good in the more athletic classes.

My whole point of taking Abby to this lady was 1. to get her trained in the basics and 2. to  possibly go on to more obedience classes and maybe agility or something like that.  This trainer offers novice obedience, rally and other advanced classes. 

So, the last class (#2) Abby had diarehha in class and they said it might be nerves, that worried me a little...will her nerves go away? I am always afraid I am forcing them to do something they are not enjoying.  :confused:

Would I be a complete nut to switch trainers and start her in another obedience class to see if she does better?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Christen83

• Socialized
Re: Obedience question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »
Would I be a complete nut to switch trainers and start her in another obedience class to see if she does better?

Not at All!!! If you and Abby or not comfortable with a trainer or class for any reason at all, then by all means you should find one that you ARE comfortable with.

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:46:37 AM »
Well, I think you should go back at least one more time and see how it goes . However, it might not be a bad idea to start researching other trainers in your area - go to their classes to see what they do, talk to them about their methods, and see if there is someone whose methods you prefer.

Since you are looking for a trainer to work with for some time to come (doing more advanced classes) then I think it might be worthwhile to find someone that you feel more comfortable with long-term.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »
Thanks...I thought this trainer was good...she came recommended by my boss...but I dont think I like the drill sargeant training tactics. 

There is another place that I am gonna do some research on to see what they offer.  :thumbsup:

At last weeks class she literally yanked a tiny yorkie off the ground like 2 feet while correcting if for barking!  :o   :brood: 

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
I would try to find a trainer that you feel comfortable with.  I would be pi**ed if that was my yorkie she pulled off the ground and I hope that wasn't with a prong collar on.
Joyce

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
Yeah, just remember that whilst you continue to go to this class you are in charge of your dog and therefore should not let anything happen to it that you are not okay with. For example, I am responsible for correcting my dog, not the instructor, if I don't want my dog to wear a prong then it won't regardless of what the instructor says.

FWIW I don't think that boxers respond well to drill sargeant training tactics either.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
I would try to find a trainer that you feel comfortable with.  I would be pi**ed if that was my yorkie she pulled off the ground and I hope that wasn't with a prong collar on.

I believe it did have a prong colloar on! Poor little thing. There are only 2 dogs in class without them, Abby and a golden retriever.   The trainer's response was "Oh, I didnt realize you were so light!"   :o

I have nothing against a prong collar, but IMO it should be a last resort and not used on a dog that is jsut starting to learn.

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
You don't pull it hard enough to lift the dog off its feet.  I would want to correct my own dog.  If I am having difficulty I have no trouble with the trainer coming over by me and telling me what to do and correcting me if I am not doing it right, but I need to do it myself.  I think I would find another trainer.
Joyce

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
Kristin,

Like teachers, every student doesnt respond well to every teacher. You need to find a teacher that will work with you, that has the same goals as yourself and makes you comfortable.

Training classes are a way to have a "qualified" professional observe your training methods and help you be the best trainer possible.  The trainers focus should be on YOU and not the dog. She/he is there to teach you not the dog. that is why it is important to find a trainer with the same goals as yourself. 

With training devices, remember they are crutches, to help you maintain control until you get the dog trained. So, with that in mind you should always start with the lowest level of device to get the desired result. Not every dog will respond to every device the same. You need to find the one that will allow you to maintain control while you train the behavior you want. The trainer should know and UNDERSTAND this concept.

I cant tell you what to do, but I personally wouldnt feel comfortable with this trainer. I would look for another one. Call your local boxer rescue and see whom they recommend, if they dont have anyone in your area, then call other working breed rescues ;)  many working breeds have the same basic temperament issues and one of those rescue's will have a trainer they love. Or ya'll could just move to ABQ, I have a great TOP OF THE LINE, best trainer ever here in ABQ. ;) 
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here