Author Topic: Marking in the house  (Read 525 times)

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
Marking in the house
« on: September 12, 2007, 08:15:38 PM »
So Keenan has finally gotten the whole standing-on-three-legs-while-peeing thing down (less accidentally peeing on his front legs), and marks a lot on our walks. I discourage him marking on things like mailbox posts and decorative plants, but he's allowed to go on the trees on public walkways. So he's developed a charming new behavior; marking in the house. I saw him start lifting his leg on the couch and yelled at him to stop him before he started the actual marking, but I've since discovered that he's marked on two corners (the kind that stick out) downstairs and a paint bucket downstairs.

Our bedroom is upstairs and he hasn't tried to mark up there -- he's only had honest potty mistakes. The couch incident happened twice, both within a few days of each other, and he hasn't had a repeat since. I've thoroughly cleaned the downstairs with an enzymatic cleaner, so there's no scent calling him back, but I'm afraid he's going to keep doing it because I'm not down there stopping the behavior as it's starting.

Anyone else had problems with in-tact males marking in the house? How did you curb the problem? I want a solution more permanent than restricting his access to the downstairs, but that's all I can seem to think to do.

Any suggestions?

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Marking in the house
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:48:42 PM »
Ooohh, I feel your pain here, only Otis does it at other peoples houses instead of mine (so thoughful of him)! See the 'peeing on people' thread in Problem Behaviors. I have to catch him doing it & he gets a stern talking to & my bad-boy face that he hates, he hasn't done it in a while now.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:58:08 AM »
I haven't but I believe Bers did... only thing she could do was stop him before he got a chance.   Do you leave him out while you are gone?  You may need to go back to crating him until you have squashed this new behavior.

I think if Dash tries this in the house, Aaron might go completely  :furious3:  and I won't exactly be impressed either!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »
I have to crate Ollie...he is my marker and it is SOOOOO annoying!  If he is free than I put a diaper, modified of course, on him!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

*Jen*

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
What age does this generally start at??  ???