Author Topic: Showing a Male...  (Read 779 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Showing a Male...
« on: September 06, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
I have heard that finishing a male is easier than a female.  Also that a newbie should start with a male as their first show prospect.   Any truth to these?

Also wondering that there seems to be more females showing than males.  Is this mainly because breeders can keep all females together and one unaltered male without incident.   I see many breeders with numerous females and like one male.   Is that mainly due to the fact that unaltered males dont really get along that well living together?

Of course this can be all myths, but interested to know.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Showing a Male...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
Funny you asked this, H, I was wondering the same thing too. Looking at the breeder sites lately, I've noticed quite a bit more ladies in the ring than the males. Altho, I think most of the males look better...just from the ones I've seen.

Good question. I wanna know too. LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:44:34 PM »
Also for those who (Breeders) have females, do you find it extremely hard to find the perfect male match for your bitch if the given is that there are more bitches than men (ha ha ha). 

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
I've also heard to start with a male - from the reasoning I've heard, part of it is that a breeder is more likely to try out a newbie with a male because there isn't the extra complication of breeding.  They'd still have to decide on using the male w/a bitch who's owner inquired, but no scary whelping, puppy placement, etc. 

I believe it's supposed to be easier to finish a male because there are less males showing, so you don't need as many dogs present for points.  Although I'm sure that varies by area like it does with females.

I know that if/when I get into showing, I want to start with a male 'cause the idea of heats still freaks me out too much.  I'd have to get over having one or heats w/the next female I get (intact until maturity for joint/muscle stuff) - I'm still getting used to Dash being intact, and he's been with us for 7 months already!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:55:47 PM »
It is usually easier to finish a male , especially if you have a really good one . There are less males in the ring so you have less competition . Although it may be harder to get the majors . Alot of breeders will sell good show prospect males but will keep the best females.

I have always been told that breeders will keep the best females to continue their lines . With keeping a male you are not guaranteed that he will be used for stud so you might not be able to keep his line going .

In my 13 years of boxers there have always been more females in the showring , I think it is because breeders keep the best females and the only way to compare them to the standard is to show them .
I know of breeders who keep 2-3 pick puppies from the litter and decide who they keep after a few entries into the conf ring , they keep the pups who do the most/best placing .

I have had 2 intact males in the same house for 7 years and there was never a problem . Although my two had opposite personalities which most likely helped .I have had and intact male and female at the same time and also never had any problems .I have not yet had 2 females together , but plan to in the future .You always hear that keeping 2 females is a risk since they tend to fight more , and once they begin fighting they never forget they hate the other.I also do know of people who have multiple females and have no problems . I think each situation is different .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »
Also for those who (Breeders) have females, do you find it extremely hard to find the perfect male match for your bitch if the given is that there are more bitches than men (ha ha ha). 

Let's see . Edy will be 2 years old in may . I do not plan on breeding her untill she is around 4-5 yrs old ( and of course all testing is completed and passed ).
I have already begun researching and looking at studs . I know it is still a long time away but there are some promising young dogs out there now and I just want to watch them over the next few years to see how they do and what they produce.

I do not know if there is ever the perfect match , but you try to get a dog that will compliment your bitches good points all while trying to fix some of the faults . Even if you find that perfect male there is no guarante what the litter will look like . You just hope and pray for the best traits of both of the dogs come out in the puppies.

That being said anyone out there with a classic male preferably dark brindle, great head ,great bite ,dark mask, short back , straight topline ,good shoulders , good bone , good angulation ,awesome temperment , clear of AS/ SAS ,a few clear holters -o vpc's , Good hips- excelent preferred ,eyes CERF , and thyroid normal . Let me know . 

Just kidding  :mad:
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
I do agree that a male is easier to finish - mostly because there are fewer males showing than females and you therefore, need less of them to get those points. But, there isn't a substantial difference so I wouldn't let this sway me one way or the othr.

What I have always heard is that if you are starting out with a show prospect you are more likely to get a good quality male to show than a female, since most breeders keep the best females. That is why the recommendation is to go with a male.
However, I don't think that that is necessarily true. IMO, the best option for someone starting out would be to be flexible about which sex you want. Instead focus on getting the best quality puppy. You can never really tell what sex puppies one is going to have - if a breeder has a litter with 5 females and 2 males, the females might well be of higher quality than the males just because there are 5 to choose from. I would say be flexible, if you can.

YES, I have found it awfully hard to find the right male for my female. But, I am awfully choosy, and there really aren't a lot of what I would call quality males out there. OR they may well be out there but you don't know about them or ever see them.

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:51:30 PM »
That being said anyone out there with a classic male preferably dark brindle, great head ,great bite ,dark mask, short back , straight topline ,good shoulders , good bone , good angulation ,awesome temperment , clear of AS/ SAS ,a few clear holters -o vpc's , Good hips- excelent preferred ,eyes CERF , and thyroid normal . Let me know . 
Just kidding  :mad:

Hah, you sound like me - looking for the PERFECT dog! When I started planning my first litter, I was bitterly disappointed to come to realize that the perfect dog in my eyes didn't actually exist.

Don't get me wrong - I love Spock (the dog I landed up using) and I couldn't be happier with my puppies. But I got really frustrated with the whole process - there weren't a lot of dogs that I liked structurally and they all seemed to have some skeleton in their closet, mainly health related (or not fully health tested). I drove my friends crazy for about 2 years whilst I was searching for the 'RIGHT' male.

At the end of the day you have to give somewhere - and although it might not be the perfect match, go with the best match possible.

Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »
Wow sounds like searching for a husband.  You have all the qualities you want that are inside the box, and you will never 100% find that one man that has exactly EVERY quality you want.  So you have to take the one that has most of the you are looking for, and some with things outside the box!  ha ha.

See Boxers are exaclty like humans!!

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Wow sounds like searching for a husband. 

Hahahaha  :laugh4: How true!!!
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
Wow sounds like searching for a husband.  You have all the qualities you want that are inside the box, and you will never 100% find that one man that has exactly EVERY quality you want.

Crap! Are you serious?!

Hehe, stop crushing my dreams, Heather :)