Author Topic: Show Bathing  (Read 645 times)

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
Show Bathing
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
OK, what do you all do to groom your dog up for a show?  What kind of shampoo do you use?  What kind of conditioning do you do?  Do you have any trade secrets in making the ultimate coat for a show?

I of course dremel their nails ( which should only have to be a small amount if they are maintained)
I bathe in hotter water with a good conditioning soap.
I condition with horse conditioners.
I spray them down with and olive oil mixture to add a really nice gleam ( this is a new trick that I saw on one of the boards, I only used it once, and it is supposed to help over time)
Cass is now on Merrick food, and gets Nzymes added to his diet, along with Fish Oil Caps or granulated Flax seed supplement.

Kat Medved
www.fairviewboxer.com
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
Re: Show Bathing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »
I feed a raw diet, which, I know, I know, you've probably heard it a million times before, but I really do believe that it makes their coats a nice, deep, rich red and shiny (probably because of the Omega oils in the fish, skin and fats of the meats). I supplement with kelp once a week which is said to make red coats, but I think it's a variety issue more than anything.

I bathe them with nothing more than the same Aveda shampoo that I use for my hair. Dremel their nails, shave the insides of their ears, under their tuck up, up the hind quarters, the tip of the tail and whiskers.

I do all of this the night before and then give them a quick "once over" before they go in with the purple dry spray shampoo (forget what the name of it is) wipe down with a chamois, chalk, vasaline on the nose and nails and a little bit on the pads of their feet to make them less slippery.

That's about it. . . I think! :laugh4:
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:59:23 PM »
I loved my dogs coats on the raw diet, but regardless of what supplements I used, Briar had feet issues.  When I put her on Merrick ( when she was supposed to be going to a new home after I spayed her) her feet got SOOO much better, and I haven't had a problem with them since!  Cass also lost the brownish red stuff on his nails ( I think from him licking them).  I was lacking SOMETHING, but just couldn't find the happy medium.  Now, Cass still get the prepackaged raw food, but not everyday, maybe like 1-2 times a week.

He is looking great, the whitest his feet have ever been, and he hasn't had a bath for about 3 weeks...

:thumbsup:
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »
I pretty much do the same as Jess; I use EarthBath shampoo, generally the Mango Tango.  I try to remember to shave down the hair between the paw pads if it's gotten long, to prevent slipping.  I don't do as much the morning of, usually, just wipe the face and a quick spray down with water before we go in the ring.  E&E have typically moist noses, so I don't need anything on them - Patsy and Hugo were different there.  I don't typically chalk for small or outside shows - the white is generally pretty white anyway - but I have been this weekend; Emma's been digging, and Genine's been at the show and she has the good chalk. ;) 
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 05:57:30 PM »
I do much the same as mentioned above. Nothing special. Other than a bath before a show they really dont get anything else on their coats (other than the legs, that is).
Star has the most gorgeous soft coat I have ever come across and I never needed to do anything to it (this was even before I started feeding raw), Skye's hair is longer but other than a good brush down I don't put anything on hers either.

I LOVE the lack of grooming......

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »
I also do all that Burning River said , but I also shave down the middle of Edy's stomach . It gives her a cleaner look .
I also use bio groom shampoo . I used the burnished bronze when I had fawns and now I use either the bronze or black since Edy is brindle .They are supposed to enhance the coat color .I also use the white shampoo for their legs/socks , as it is supposed to help repel dirt.
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:40:49 PM »
no flash, no chaulk  ;D

mild oatmeal shampoo only.
keep nails short, so really just touch up the dirty stained tops
tail, booty swirls, leg ears and wiskers.

I use a stripping stone about a week before a show IF they are shedding.

just before ringtime I curry brush, wash face, waterless shampoo feet and maybe do wiskers again. Z has wire for wiskers and has broken 2 of my power shavers, so its hard getting a good close shave on her. I'm really considering just letting them grow and leave them alone  :inquisitive:

Have great soft shiney coats overall. I homecook and feed Eagle Pack anchovy salmon sardine. I suppliment with Nupro. I notice their coat colors "pop" better, redder reds, blacker blacks,deeper fawn when they on the Nupro.(no change in texture though). Could be the kelp in it?   
Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno