Author Topic: Front & Rear crosses  (Read 1137 times)

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
Front & Rear crosses
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »

We are having so much fun in our class.
Sophia very confident on all obstacles now including the closed tunnel (shoot). She loves the tunnels, jumps, teater and esp. the A frame (she sprints up that thing).

We have been working on front and rear crosses (where you send the dog ahead of you and you cross in front or behind the dog). Wow it's like a dance and I really suck at dancing!

Sophia it picking up fast it's ME that needs the help! I need to get ahead of her so I can make sure she goes the right way.

Agility peps, what do you find the easiest? Sophia is getting pretty fast and although I can run fast too I will NEVER be as fast as her.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Front & Rear crosses
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:53:19 PM »
I think it depends on your dog. When Star was initially learning she was VERY fast and there was absolutely NO way for me to get any front cross in, unless I did a lead out -  I was the queen of rear crosses.
But, she did eventually slow down (not a good thing, but anyway.....) and then I found I was doing front crosses all of the time as I was faster than she was. I also found that I really needed front cross when we started competing - I had to get in front of her and kinda direct otherwise she would get the zoomies and go crazy and run off.

I think you need to learn to read your dog, and know what suites them best in different situations. That is part of the fun of classes - trying out the different things and then determining what suites your dog best. What works for one dog doesn't necessarily work for another.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »
I got comfortable with Front Crosses first, since I was running Jakob and he needed to be tightend up alot (he's a very loose runner) and then with Josie, the FC gave me control. 

I tend to do more FC's on Standard courses and more RC's on Jumpers - although a good FC layered well does the trick on a JWW course,  too.

I force a FC - I have alot of students that complain that the dog is too fast for the handler to catch up to - but the dog needs to learn and accept one regardless of how fast they are.

Sophia it picking up fast it's ME that needs the help! I need to get ahead of her so I can make sure she goes the right way.

If you watch this clip - it's Ann Braue at World Team Tryouts - she does 5 Front Crosses in a 36 second run:

http://www.abctc.com/Videos/Spree%20Round%205.wmv

That should give you an idea of places you really can get ahead of the dog and fit the cross in.

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »
I got comfortable with Front Crosses first, since I was running Jakob and he needed to be tightend up alot (he's a very loose runner) and then with Josie, the FC gave me control. 

I tend to do more FC's on Standard courses and more RC's on Jumpers - although a good FC layered well does the trick on a JWW course,  too.

I force a FC - I have alot of students that complain that the dog is too fast for the handler to catch up to - but the dog needs to learn and accept one regardless of how fast they are.

If you watch this clip - it's Ann Braue at World Team Tryouts - she does 5 Front Crosses in a 36 second run:

http://www.abctc.com/Videos/Spree%20Round%205.wmv

That should give you an idea of places you really can get ahead of the dog and fit the cross in.

wow that was a great video! Very quick and accurate! I hope on day to get there w/ Sophia.
We are going to continue to work on both methods. Right now the rear ones are working great but I can see a need for a front cross as well. We are still beg at this so we are learning so much. I am proud that she picked it up so fast. her and an Aussie pup are the star students at this point. I swear Aussies are THE agility dog!

I really appreciate the feedback and help guys! maybe I can get my BF to shoot a vid of us on our practice course.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08