Author Topic: When going to the bathroom...  (Read 1141 times)

Monkeynpuppy1296

• Fully Weaned
When going to the bathroom...
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »
I just asked my wife about when you take your puppy out side to go potty....would you give him/her a treat after they did a job out side. Now is this a good thing? Would it teach them that thats where they go and not in the house/crate? If you can help, GREAT...!!!

Jamie/Precious' Mama

tbs

• Potty Trained
Re: When going to the bathroom...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:24:54 PM »
I give like 3 liver treats, a GOOOD BOUY!, and lots of petting for using the bathroom outside. Make potting outside really rewarding and he/she will realize good stuff happens when I potty outside.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:56:40 AM »
Yep, praise and treat RIGHT after they finish pottying - you've got about a 3 second window where they will associate the two, so you need to be on stand-by with a treat at the ready.  And since puppies go SOO often, make sure the treat is very small - I use jerky bits that are maybe an inch square and break them into at least 4 pieces for my dogs, I'd make them even smaller for the pup.  You want something they can gulp right down - it's more the flavor/smell than the size that attracts them.   Often w/pups you can even use their own kibble for this particular task.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 01:52:44 PM »
Yep, praise and treat RIGHT after they finish pottying - you've got about a 3 second window where they will associate the two,

LOL somebody tell my moms dog that .....  she will still remind you by barking at you 10 min's later  LOL .   

I don't give treats after they go out and potty .... I give lots of " Good puppy's " and some playtime with a toy that I keep up . 

My moms dog is FAT because they treat her every time she goes out the door . Half the time she doesn't even go potty .  She has figured out that when she goes out the door and comes back in she gets a treat , and she goes out about 15 times a day .   You think my parents would have figured out by now   ::)

I find that Lots of one on one time with fun works best for me and our house training .   
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Monkeynpuppy1296

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice!!!!!
Jamie/Precious' Mama

LauniBug

• Moved On
  • Moved On
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
You guys might try bell training too.. I did it with both my dogs, and they both caught on immediately. My 1 year old Boxer got it in less than one day, and my 9 week old (at the time) Great Dane caught on in about a week!

There's a sticky on the subject here somewhere.

I know that wasn't really your question, but I just thought it might help y'all a bit. :)

tbs

• Potty Trained
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
BranwenBoxers makes a valid point about giving the dogs to many treats, can make them fat. One thing I do is I ration out some of there food to off set the treats. Some dogs donít really go crazy over treats, but most will. If they arenít a big treat fan, then just find out what they really like and use that as a reward.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

Arbies mom

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 03:48:20 PM »
 "My moms dog is FAT because they treat her every time she goes out the door . Half the time she doesn't even go potty .  She has figured out that when she goes out the door and comes back in she gets a treat , and she goes out about 15 times a day .   You think my parents would have figured out by now"   

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:52:27 PM by Arbies mom »

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »
Branwen - I guess I should have mentioned it's something you do only at the beginning so the pup learns potty outside = good.  Not for life.. and as I mentioned, teeny tiny portions!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:06:35 PM »
When Hanna was a pup we used treats for a lot - potty, training classes etc.  I tried to make sure my treat of choice was something lean and not too fatty.

I used fat free turkey hot dogs, low fat string cheese cut into little bits, and I used perdue short cuts unseasoned chix strips cut into small bits.  Works for me:)

GOod Luck
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
Branwen - I guess I should have mentioned it's something you do only at the beginning so the pup learns potty outside = good.  Not for life.. and as I mentioned, teeny tiny portions!

:laugh4:   

Yep , I tryed to tell my Parents that but .... its like talking to a wall  ::)  .   I do treat give treats to my dogs , just not every time they go out .    After seeing how my Parents dogs are , I guess I don't want my dogs to be like "  Ok I walked out the door , can I have a treat ?  LOL .   

Good topic  :yes: 

Oh and my boy Conley is 7 months old today and he has not had an  oppsy in the house in over 2 months ( fingers crossed )  :laugh4:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

*Jen*

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »
When we were training Tonto I went outside with him he got all oooooh good boys & a treat & after a while he went out by himself & stopped looking for a treat it is just second nature to him now i dont think he would ever go in the house!