Author Topic: new show class ???  (Read 900 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
new show class ???
« on: August 23, 2007, 09:09:37 AM »
I just read on another list that the AKC is proposing a new class for owner handled dogs . This could be a big plus for those of us who want to owner handle our dogs , but have not bred them like what is now required in the bred by class .This new class will be voted on in Dec 2007 .

The proposed rule change reads as follows:
>
>CHAPTER 3
>
>Section 6. The Amateur-Owner- Handler class shall be for dogs that are at
>least six months of age that are not champions. Dogs must be handled in the
>class by the registered owner of the dog. This class is restricted to
>exhibitors
>
>who have not, at any point in time, been a professional dog handler, AKC
>approved conformation judge, or employed as an assistant to a professional
>handler. Additionally, members of the immediate family or household of a
>current professional handler are ineligible for this class (as defined in
>Chapter 11, Section 13).
>
>Professional handlers are defined as any person that belongs or has belonged
>to a professional handlers' organization, distributed rate cards, or
>otherwise advertised or represented themselves as handling dogs for pay.
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
Re: new show class ???
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:17:29 AM »
I like the idea, but I wonder if it would make a difference. . . Will this class be taken seriously by judges who play favorites with pros anyway? Dunno.

I'd enter in it. :)
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:59:19 AM »
It does look interesting; the new class would replace the Novice class, which honestly I've never seen offered for Boxers.

What I'm surprised didn't make it to the list from the board minutes is the increase in Event Service Fees:

Effective January 1, 2008, the Event Service Fee for all events is to be $3.00 for the first entry of each dog. Effective January 1, 2008 there will be an Event Service Fee of $3.00 for each additional entry of the same dog,

The current fees are $1.50 for the first entry, and nothing for an additional entry.  As well, license fees for shows are doubling as of January 1, 2008 - so look for a significant increase in entry fees next year! 
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
Hmm...that's interesting...it would give some people some ring experience without having to go up against a "pro".  Still...I think that judges do favor some of the pros
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »
Well that has to be the best news EVER  :partybanana:   

I really do not like going up against the Pro's  :inquisitive:  as much as I like them and all  ::)

I wonder when this will take affect ?   I hope intime for the Harrisburg PA show . 

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
The reason I like this idea is because it would help to calm my nerves .If I am not so nervous then I be able will show better , well at least I think I will .

Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »
The reason I like this idea is because it would help to calm my nerves .If I am not so nervous then I be able will show better , well at least I think I will .

I don't really have this problem , I showed horses when I was younger .   I just would like more of a level playing field  :smash:  LOL .    I don't like going into a ring when you are the only owner handler in the there ....   ::)
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Soleil

• Vet Checked
    • Soleil Boxers Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
I just would like more of a level playing field  :smash:  LOL .    I don't like going into a ring when you are the only owner handler in the there ....   ::)

I agree, but remember, you will still be up against Pro's in winners.  BUT, hey, i'll take it!   :smash:  The last time I showed Bru i was in a class of 4, the other 3 dogs were handled by Pros.  I was shakin' and fumbling around, one would have thought it was our very first time in the ring.. and wouldn't u know it, i was lined up first in the class...   ::)  Thank god the judge loved Bru..  :blush:  She even stacked him up for me, and said "hold him there"   :laugh4: 
*Soleil Boxers*
"Trucker" Lock n Load Armor, BH, ZTP

Forever in our hearts:
Ch.Shelterwoods Femme Fatale,TT (12.17.03-07.28.12 cancer)
Shelterwood's Golden Gloves,RN,CGC (8.13.02-10.31.12 cancer

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »
I wouldn't show in it.  I would rather be judged as an equal with everyone else in the ring. AND, the fact of the matter is that you don't win any points for winning the class, you still need to win in the Winner's ring so you HAVE to be able to beat the pro's.

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 09:26:32 PM »
I agree with Rocket.
Winning the class is great, but...

I've been showing in the Bred By class, but not to avoid pro handlers. They are in that class too. They don't intimidate me anymore, I focus on the dog and the judge only. Who's in front of me, behind me, doesn't matter, what they are doing with their dogs doesn't matter (IN the ring is not the time to try something new that you see a pro doing) Focus on what you and your dog are doing.

I show in the Bred By class because I am proud to show off my girl. I produced(so to speak) this and this is what I want to present to you(my goals, likes and lines)

I haven't gotten points in this class yet, but we will. And I will have earned them.

I may switch class entries around, depending on the judge, the show, etc
but I don't think a separate class for newbies(under a new name) will make the points come any easier for anyone.

It's all about the dog!

Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno

Soleil

• Vet Checked
    • Soleil Boxers Home Page
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 11:18:49 PM »
Good pointl Kerry and Jill.  I do plan on showing in bred-by these next few shows, as Bru is finally a bit more mature.  But it's certainly no class to avoid handlers here... Cheryl Cates is a frequent Bred-By exhibitor, and the Bettis' and our own handler have been known to show in that class too... AND the breeders who do show in that class.. can show w/ the pros.. so there really is no getting away from anyone really.  But like Jill said, I am very proud of Bru and have been waiting to compete in this class.  Thus far, we've only competed in Bred-By at the international shows, and those results shocked me to all hell! :yes: My baby boy Bru sure kept the surprises coming!   :smitten:
*Soleil Boxers*
"Trucker" Lock n Load Armor, BH, ZTP

Forever in our hearts:
Ch.Shelterwoods Femme Fatale,TT (12.17.03-07.28.12 cancer)
Shelterwood's Golden Gloves,RN,CGC (8.13.02-10.31.12 cancer

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 01:45:47 PM »
Yes, I can't wait to show Skye in bred-by......but she needs to mature a bit.
It is an awesome class to show in, knowing that you are showing off what you have bred. But, you are right about the pro's - we have them in this class too down here in Texas. But, it is all about showing off what you have bred.
Of course, I never had that luxury with Star, but I am really excited to show my pup in bred-by.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 10:46:54 PM »
I have been up against pros on a number of occasions ( at some specialties too) and Cass USUALLY places, doesn take winners   :( but places,LOL.
I don't get nervous about handlers, it is breeders that I respect that make me nervous, that is when I fumble in the ring!!!!  Course, I am kinda shy in all actuality, so meeting new people makes me sick to my belly!   :wall:.

I think it would be nice for new people in the show world.  I myself am all for owner handling, I just wish it went more on the quality of the dog, and not SIZE... or who is on the other side of the leash!!!!!!

Kat
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com