Author Topic: Toy Aggessive  (Read 524 times)

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Toy Aggessive
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
Well I've started noticing lately that Felix has become toy aggressive.  It started at the dog park.  Someone would bring a toy for their dog, Felix would inevitably get it, and hoard the toy.  When another dog would approach to try to get it from him, he would growl and sometimes get in a scuffle.

It's happening more so at friend's houses too with other dogs and their toys.

What do I do?
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Toy Aggessive
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »
I'm not fond of toys at the dog park...seems like there is enough stimuli already.

I'm not sure but does he act like this to you if you try to take his toy away too?I s this really a new thing for him to act this way...? Wonder what's causing it?

Sounds like resource guarding to me- I'm not to familiar w/ it- sorry.

good luck.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:33:25 PM »
He's never like this to me.  If I say drop it, he will.  I swear it just started happening this summer.  I'm wondering if it may be a learned behavior, because my friend has a dog that is like that, so wondering if Felix picked that up from him. ???

I have no idea what resource guarding is.....
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
Lisa check out the sticky at the top of the page, it describes Resource guarding.

...Ariel was very toy agressive with other dogs other then Zoe. We just had to take all the toys out of the yard when the neighbor dog came over, didnt want to chance it.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:20:52 PM »
It's weird...he used to be very good about sharing toys.  This literally just came out of the blue.  He's totally fine about his food, but now it recently came on when he's playing with toys...I don't get where he got it from.
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »
Precious is very food and toy aggressive.  Her and Missy had many fights.  PRecious would steal Missy's toys (Missy didn't care) but if Missy came to get it back she would attack Missy.  When challenged Missy didn't back down and we had serious fighting.  Luckily nobody was seriously hurt.  I don't know what to do for it. 
Joyce