Author Topic: Potty training problems  (Read 1403 times)

BluEyeSheDevl

• Just Whelped
Potty training problems
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:01:12 AM »
As some of you guys know, Loki was very sick when I got him. The doctor has him on 3 differnt meds and one of those is Steroids. Loki can not hold his bladder at all. I know part of ,if not all, is from the meds.  I can't get up every 20 minutes at night to let him go out to pee. What do I do? He could care less if he has to stand in it. We have him in a good size pen and figured he would use one side of the pen (we have newspaper and pads down) to do is business and then sleep on the other side. But it's not working that way at all.. He just goes to the bathroom where ever he is standing and sleeps on the puppy pee pads even though he has a bed to sleep on. He will just pee on his bedding. During the day I am able to bring him to the bathroom serveral times an hour but this night stuff is killing me. We have had him for almost 2 weeks and he still cries and howls all night long.  I get him up several times a day just to play with him so it will wear him out so we would sleep at night. But it's not working.  Everyone in the house is sooo tired by morning none of the kids are wanting to go to school. My husband doesn't even want to get up and go to work becasue he is so tired. I try to get up and calm him down just so others can sleep but that can only last a few days before even I am too tired to do it. This is probably becasue of his age. He tured 8 weeks today. Should I start putting him in a crate to help with the potty training even though he is on the meds? Or do I just wait until the meds are over with then start back up with the potty training?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Potty training problems
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:22:30 AM »
Boy, I know this one, though your situation sounds a little more dire than mine.   Dash was on a very high dose of steroids and we could not get up with him through the night for all his potty breaks.   So we gated him into a small area (teeny kitchen) and did the bed on one side/pee on the other situation.   Sadly, I see this isn't working for you very well, but it was the only solution I could think of - it may be that at Dash's age he was more inclined to avoid his soiled areas.  And unfortunately the crate won't work - even at 7 mos, the steroids had Dash so desperate he was peeing his crate and he had alot more bladder and body control than your boy. 

When it comes to the barking - when you don't go down with him, is there any response/noise coming back to him?  Do people yell for him to be quiet, or shush him?  If so, that may be increasing his inclination to bark, rather than decreasing it.  If everyone isn't already ignoring him (or at least not responding), I'd have that start immediately.  Generally a pup will give up after a couple nights if it's crying gets no response.  But you really have to be consistent because if you ignore for two nights and then go try to calm him for one, you've reinforced his barking again.   And though it may not help, perhaps being away from everyone in the dark is scary - perhaps give him a t-shirt you've slept in and a nightlight for comfort?

If you can get him to give up his all-night howling, then I might suggest setting your alarm to get up twice a night to let him out - even after he's off the meds, he is likely to need a once or twice nightly potty break because he's still very young.  You're still going to be tired, but perhaps getting scheduled amounts of sleep can keep you from exhaustion.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BluEyeSheDevl

• Just Whelped
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »
Everyone here ignored him for the first week. Now that we are all too tired to care my husband will end up hushing him. And it just makes it worst. So I ended up getting up with him and playing for another hour then tried to go back to bed. But he will just cry more. So I guess I shouldn't have went out there in the first place. I even tried crating him next to the bed and all he does is go nuts in there , running his head into the door and scratching like crazy, while he crys and howls. It's sad to hear it all night. but my kids have to sleep and so does my hubby. I guess the next step is to lock him downstairs in the utility room for a few days.i really didn't want to do that.I want him to be able to run the whole house as soon as the potty training gets better. But the whole peeing 4 or 5 times an hour is making me bonkers!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »
Actually giving a dog run of the whole house isn't neccessarily a good thing - nor something to rush into.   Dogs need access to space that is proportional to their maturity/trustworthiness.  Even when we are home and watching, Dash only gets access to the main rooms (kitchen/dining/living) and we shut the doors to the rest.  Even then he still finds his way into trouble on occasion, but we can't really make the area any smaller so we deal with that when it comes up. 

I think at least some of his upset is the separation from the family, so I would at least try the comforting smells/light first before sticking him further away from everyone.

I'm so sorry this is so rough for everyone!  Bad breeders really make it tough for everyone, a pup that young and that sick shouldn't have left his momma yet.  :(
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:16 PM »
I am sorry you are not getting any sleep.  I know the steroids are horrible for making them have to pee.  Hopefully he will get better soon and you will be able to start weaning him off the steroids.  As far as the barking and crying at night I agree with Julia about the night light and an article of clothing with your scent.  Sometimes a stuffed animal helps them too.
Joyce

BluEyeSheDevl

• Just Whelped
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
Remind me to never buy a puppy again!  :brood: We already have a light for him and we give him a lot of big stuff animals to sleep with. But he doesn't care. He don't even want anyone else but me to take him outside anymore. So i will try the tshirt thing to see if that helps any. Tonight I will try to keep him up and going for 2 hours before bed. Get his butt nice and tired out.
 When I was talking about run of the whole house it would be the same for me as you. I mean just the Kitchen, Dinning, Den. and Frontroom. No bedrooms! Nor any bathrooms!..
  He shouldn't be away from his mother yet. But he is here so I need to deal with it the best I can. I hope after all this crap is over with he will be a healthy happy dog.  

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »
Just curious, when you say he doesn't want anyone else to take him out, what does he do that shows this?  There is a post in the "Why do they do that?" section I made where my female only gives Aaron "the eyes" when she really has to go out - we figured out, besides her being a daddy's girl, he is the one who actually gets what is means, so she just started communicating with the one "smart" enough to understand her.

I hope he has a much easier time of things after his health clears up.  How much longer does he have on the meds?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Ratfingers

• Vet Checked
  • ~Cash Butt~
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
Also, at night remove his water bowl 2 hours before bedtime, this will cut down on the amount of pee.
~Julie~
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
I know this sounds retarded but when I leave my pups for work, I put classical music on to sooth them.   Just a thought.

Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BluEyeSheDevl

• Just Whelped
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »
If anyone else tries to bring him outyside he will run back to the back door and wait there until I walk out then he will follow me out to the back yard to do his business.
He has atleast 10 more days of meds..... :wreck:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 01:17:05 PM »
As stinky as it will be for a short while, I would make sure everyone can take him out, because if this becomes a long term habit, it'll make life harder.

I would set a routine for taking him out, and I might even get him in a harness and leash so he can't run back.  Then the person who took him out just waits him out.  With all his meds and needs, he'll have to go.  It may take some patience, but I can only imagine how much more frustrating it would be to have a dog that would only pee for one member of the family!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BluEyeSheDevl

• Just Whelped
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:31:02 PM »
Yes, Everyone needs to do it. He's running me raged!! I do notice when I bring him out I carry him down the steps and to the backyard so he is under a big ole Maple tree in the shade, where everyone else just takes him out side in the sun. So he sees me as the one who feeds him, plays with him all day, give his meds, clean up after him, bathing, vet trips, treats, Etc.....I think I just became his B*&%h.... :brood: LOL...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:32:44 PM by BluEyeSheDevl »

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 01:31:28 PM »
I leave the tv on in the living room for Precious while I am at work.  
Joyce

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
Oh yes, they are very good at training us, especially little puppies who get very fickle about what they want!

I might instruct the rest of your crew to also take him to the maple tree - not to spoil him, but because he's more likely to eliminate if he can smell his previous trip's waste.  The smell signals to him that it's his "potty space."
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 02:14:56 PM »
I think I just became his B*&%h....  LOL...

No , I think he sees you as his MUM .    I must have missed your post about your boy being sick or how old he is ......   

What size kennel does he sleep in ?    Is it just big enough for him to trun around in ?  Also what might help is putting a blanket over the kennel to make it real dark and safe .  I put one on my kennels at night and cover the whole thing ......     Playing with him is not the best thing to do at night  or he will expect it all the time .  I know steroids can play a big part of his potty habits .....

For my pups , I pick up the water at 7 pm about an hour after feeding them , then put them out for the last time at 11 or 12 at night .  Then my hubby would put them out again  at 5 am before he leaves for work .     My pup now is 6 months old , he only made a few messes in his sleeping area and at 14 weeks old he was sleeping through the night w/out any mess's .

I would also make sure that the whole family gets involved in bring up puppy .    I think putting a leash on him so he can't just rum back is a good idea .  He may buck around a bit but its not going to hurt him to learn how to walk on the leash , and infact most pups will buck around the moment they feel a little tug on the leash .

At feeding time have everybody take turns , that way the puppy will learn to depend on the whole family and not just you .

Oh almost for got , pups learn real quick . So if he starts to whine just say shoosh , or what ever word /noise  you will use to stop a bad behavior .   

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com