Author Topic: Judging a Puppy Bite  (Read 1017 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Judging a Puppy Bite
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:28:08 AM »
How do you determine if the pup has a nice bite at such a young age?    Like Kash has a nice wide bite.  However when he loses his baby teeth, the newones could come in a mess right?   

Just wondering how one goes about evaluating a pups mouth to determine if its good or not good.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
Re: Judging a Puppy Bite
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
Puppy bites are tough, and I don't tend to get too worked up about them as they can go through all kinds of funky phases. Basically, I look to make sure that they're nice and wide, straight and sufficiently undershot at 8 weeks. After that, I don't look again until they're anywhere from 8 mos to 2 years.

One of mine's bite went "off" (wry) between 4 and 7 mos of age, only to come back at a year, another went very undershot, to the point of showing teeth with her mouth closed at 6 months only to come back at a year.

Bites change so much throughout the growing period that you really can't focus on them too much. As with many things structurally, however, your best insight is to look at 8 weeks and then not again until closer to adulthood.

Having said that, if a puppy is wry at 8 weeks, it's likely that they'll be horribly wry at 6 months and still wry (although somewhat improved from 6 months) in adulthood. Same with a puppy that is horribly undershot (to the extent of showing teeth) or level at 8 weeks and one that is overly narrow, etc.

Sometimes, however, puppies do have nice bites at 8 weeks that go off and never come back even into adulthood. . . Unfortunately, this is one of the bigger gambles that we take with purchasing show prospects as puppies.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11