Author Topic: Getting Frustrated  (Read 1877 times)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Getting Frustrated
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:21:59 AM »
Okay...so Abby was doing better with her housetraining...but this weekend she did awful! We went to a party for about 3 hours and she peed in her crate! I took the bedding out and let her out minutes before we left and she still did it!  :thumbsdown:  Then last night Al got up cuz he couldnt sleep, so he let Abby out, she went out and went pee. He let her in, went to the bathroom for no more then 1 minute and he came back upstairs and she pooped on the floor!  :o  Needless to say he was not a happy camper at 3:30 am cleaning up poop! I dont know what else to do! Why is she still pooping in the middle of the night? I changed her food, and decreased it, her poop is normal...what is her deal?  I have been trying to get her bell trained, but she isnt picking that up either!  :bigcry:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:33:56 AM by whitepupzoe »
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Re: Getting Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:59:21 AM »
maybe leave her outside longer for the last potty.  I used to tell Bugsy "poop" when he would poop.  Then, I was able just to tell him "poop" and he would do it and gets lots of praise.
Vicky

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »
OH no . . hope you can figure out what is up with Miss Abby! Good luck . . hugs to you guys!!  :)
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Where is she pooping at? Random places? Or is she doing it near the back door?

I have one girlie in particular currently living in my home (no names will be mentioned  ::) ) who was getting off of her bed in the middle of the night and leaving puddles near the back door. I finally figured out that she was just waking up, getting bored and playing with her toys in the middle of the night. (So says the squeeking cuz that I woke up to one night!) Of course, since she was awake, she'd have to go, so she'd go to the back door and do the next best thing. I started tethering her to our bedpost so that she could lay on her bed, but not leave it to go down and have her nighttime parties. Did it for a few weeks and the problem was solved.

Not sure if this could help you?
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »
Okay...so Abby was doing better with her housetraining...but this weekend she did awful! We went to a party for about 3 hours and she peed in her crate! I took the bedding out and let her out minutes before we left and she still did it!  :thumbsdown:  Then last night Al got up cuz he couldnt sleep, so he let Abby out, she went out and went pee. He let her in, went to the bathroom for no more then 1 minute and he came back upstairs and she pooped on the floor!  :o  Needless to say he was not a happy camper at 3:30 am cleaning up poop! I dont know what else to do! Why is she still pooping in the middle of the night? I changed her food, and decreased it, her poop is normal...what is her deal?  I have been trying to get her bell trained, but she isnt picking that up either!  :bigcry:

Kristin, talk to a trainer, since you have cleared the medical reasons, a qualified and experienced trainer will have some ideas to try. My guess is that this is a learned behavior, so you will need a behavior modification program that will help eliminate the issue. (Kinda what Jess did)  But a qualified trainer will be able to give you a method more "intune" with the problem.

The key to behavior issues is finding the trigger. What is triggering her need to eliminate in the home? Perhaps there is something outside that scares her?  Perhaps her "self-control" needs some work? 

As my trainer repeatedly (you would think I would catch on at some point ;) ) tells me, all behaviors do not happen in a vacuum. You can not say "X behavior is caused by Y stimuli"  because there are always other things at play.

So as my trainer (again repeatedly ::) ) tells me, "stop focusing on the problem and start looking at possible solutions"  (her words......can you tell I hear them alot :P )

Perhaps Abby grew up in a home that didnt teach housebreaking, perhaps she lived outside (therefore finds it ok to eliminate in her "den"), perhaps she is just a little too "high" on the totem pole for her own good. Or perhaps it is a mixture of all of these in the right combo.

So instead of focusing on the "bad" part, start focusing on "what is the trigger?" What "stars" are aligned when she does this behavior, cause if you can narrow down the "big" triggers, then you just have to change those to get the behavior you do want.  (and yes I know it is very easy for me to write this rather than be in your position, If we lived closer I would be over there to help you personally! I do feel your pain and frustration and am very sorry I cant be any closer to help. :group: hugs dear )

Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »
Thanks Carolyn. I wanted to get her into training classes anyways, so I will start looking for a training / behaviorist. 

She did live part of her life in a outdoor pen, so I think that has alot to do with it...plus being in the kennel for 2 weeks before we got her probably didnt help.  When we are there she will "tell" us that she has to go...running to the door...frantic look lie I gotta go NOW!  :confused:  But at a year old I would think she should be able to hold it more then a couple hours! Al said when he came up from using the bathroom she was standing at the door and then he saw the pile of poop. Then she ran and sat on the couch like she knew it was wrong.

vroom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:06:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Kristen.  We had a very hard time w/Bronco but the bell training was what helped us out.  I hope you can work her issues out!!! I'll be thinking of you.
Dogs:  Bronco Valentine and Stella Moon
Cats:  Maximus MooMoo and Jack of Hearts
Forever missing Butterscotch - 11/4/95 - 7/08/09

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »
I just looked up trainers in my area and the lady who taught Zoe's puppy preschool and beginners obedience does at home training for behavior issues.  I might call her and see what she has to offer.  :thumbsup:

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
Thanks Carolyn. I wanted to get her into training classes anyways, so I will start looking for a training / behaviorist. 

She did live part of her life in a outdoor pen, so I think that has alot to do with it...plus being in the kennel for 2 weeks before we got her probably didnt help.  When we are there she will "tell" us that she has to go...running to the door...frantic look lie I gotta go NOW!  :confused:  But at a year old I would think she should be able to hold it more then a couple hours! Al said when he came up from using the bathroom she was standing at the door and then he saw the pile of poop. Then she ran and sat on the couch like she knew it was wrong.

She can hold it longer, but must be trained to do so. One of my foster puppies is like that, she will piddle a drop or two about 5 times in a 10min period (all over my floor) instead of going out to pee ::)  we are working on her little "issue" too. She just doesnt bother to hold it at all, why do so? When she can squat and pee whenever she likes. ;) 

Also be careful about assigning "causes" to behaviors. Most like the look on your husbands face caused her to run and "hide" rather than the act of eliminating in the first place. Dogs afraid to eliminate in the home who are forced to do so will try to "hide" the evidence by eating it. You did not see that behavior, what you saw was a reaction to Al's reaction. Which I can bet would have made even me run to hide ;) While you are waiting on the trainer, see if you can pin point the triggers. Keep a journal for a couple of days, write down about food, visitors, your schedule, etc. See if there is a common theme. Like "on days where you guys go out more often than usual, you see more eliminations", this will help both you and the trainer figure out what the root cause is and how to modify that behavior. ;)
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »
Yeah Im sure he wasnt happy when he saw it...I could hear him cursing..that's what woke me up!  :zzz: :o  So I know you're right about that's why she ran and hid.

I will start writing everything down...I am gonna call the trainer when I get home!  :thumbsup:  Thanks for the advice.

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
Good luck to you Kristin! I know your frustration. It can be very hard to housetrain a dog over 1 year old. I've had to do it twice, and no matter how much training Lucy has I don't think she'll ever be 100% reliable. But accidents as a regular occurrence are definitely disheartening! You have my sympathy!
Amber

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »
How is it going Kristen?

I feel your pain.  I get no sleep.  He is up all the time and pees all the time!  ha ha ha!!!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »
She is doing alot better at night...only up maybe 1 time, which I can handle. I have a phone consultation with a trainer today at 12 to see what else I can do. She has gone 2 whole days without peeing in her crate...thanks to the ice cube advice everyone gave me! She hasnt had any accident in the house in about a week! So progress is being made...slowly.  :thumbsup:

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »
Such wonderful news!! Eyes, ears, fingers and toes crossed that this works for you! Such a good girl Abby!  :partybanana:
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 11:15:35 AM »
Thats great news!  I wish you could just snap a finger and have them already trained.

We were good today,  up at 3am, then at 7am doing great all day today!!   

Keep up the good work Abby!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash