Author Topic: Crate Training FAQs  (Read 10756 times)

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Crate Training FAQs
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
The reason she is messing in her crate is because it is too big and she is not getting enuff potty time.  Use the towels...but get something to divide that crate.  If it is a wire one get some wire from a hardware store and put it up.  I had to change Phoebe's crate size 3 maybe 4 times until I allowed her to have the whole thing.  Your pup needs to be put out after waking, after eating after playing, after, after, after.  She still has to learn to control her bladder and bowels...so make sure she gets her many in a day potty times.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
  • Tara...Leyla´s big little sis!!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
She has soooo much potty time! ´This is what i don´t understand! It is a wire crate, what kind of wire do i need to buy to separate it?
Leyla 6th October 2007 - 23rd May 2008

Forever in our hearts beautiful girl

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 03:12:38 PM »
In the FAQ's section, it is stated that a puppy should be able to hold their bladder for a certain length of time depending on her age.  We have Rex, an almost 6-mo-old puppy who isn't able to hold his for more than a 1/2 hour when he's awake and playing.  He drinks a bit of water while playing and after meals, but just doesn't hold it.  He doesn't seem to be grasping the concept of asking to go outside, in spite of our frequent trips, bell training, etc. 

Is there a way to "train" his bladder to hold it longer?? 
Should I be holding back water to help keep his bladder from getting so full? 
We are getting majorly frustrated!! :wall:

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:
Max, CGC, TP 5/3/03 - 8/27/09  :angel:

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »
Have you checked him for a possible UTI?  That seems a bit odd that he can't hold if for more than a 1/2 hr.
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

mom2ella

• Weanling
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
Am I remembering correctly that he was rescued from an outdoor kennel living situation?  If so, that may have something to do with his inability to hold it for long periods.  Being outdoors all that time and being able to go whenever/wherever just might be ingrained enough in him right now.  He may require extra patience and being diligent about taking him out often, praising heavily for successes, etc. as long as there is not some physical reason (like a UTI) causing it.

Just a thought, I'm not the most knowledgeable one here to be giving advice though.
Erika 
mom to: Ella (11/24/08) and 3 skin kids (8, 6, 4).

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
Do you usde a crate?  IS it size appropriate and not too big?
I use a crate for my 3 younger oner, keeps them safe and me comfortaed that they will behave.

If you have a crate, use it.  Put Rex in the crate and take him out, lengthening the time he is in the crate.  He should be able toi hold for at least 4 hours., easily if he has no medical issues UTI etc going on.  I would start with a hour then increase by a half hour or until Rex & or Mugs is able to hold for the time you have him crated.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »
In the FAQ's section, it is stated that a puppy should be able to hold their bladder for a certain length of time depending on her age.  We have Rex, an almost 6-mo-old puppy who isn't able to hold his for more than a 1/2 hour when he's awake and playing. 

The time frame listed isn't for when they are awake and playing....it's for when they are crated/sleeping.  Because they aren't moving around while they are crated, they are more relaxed and it's easier to hold it.  So the time frames listed don't really apply to play time.  Basically it's saying that Rex SHOULD be able to be in his crate for up to 7 hours.  There's NO WAY he could do that while awake and playing.  

He doesn't seem to be grasping the concept of asking to go outside, in spite of our frequent trips, bell training, etc.  

How long have you had him, exactly?  Are you completely freaking out giving him lots of crazy praise when he goes outdoors (even treats, if necessary)?  He has to know that going outside is AWESOME!!  That's the first step.....after he learns that it is awesome to pee outside, he can learn that it is NECESSARY to pee outside!  One step at a time.

There isn't really a way to train his bladder to hold it longer....you've just go to make completely sure that he understands that he is supposed to go outside.  Given that he was mistreated before, chances are good that he doesn't have a good foundation for potty training, so it's probably not fair to compare him to another 6 month old who's been given good solid training since 8 weeks (or 10 weeks, or whatever).

I would not with hold water from him unless he is having accidents in his crate during the night.  I did have to with hold water from my boy when he was first home because he was having issues not peeing in his crate....but I wouldn't have done it otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:42:31 PM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »
In the FAQ's section, it is stated that a puppy should be able to hold their bladder for a certain length of time depending on her age.  We have Rex, an almost 6-mo-old puppy who isn't able to hold his for more than a 1/2 hour when he's awake and playing. 

The time frame listed isn't for when they are awake and playing....it's for when they are crated/sleeping.  Because they aren't moving around while they are crated, they are more relaxed and it's easier to hold it.  So the time frames listed don't really apply to play time.  Basically it's saying that Rex SHOULD be able to be in his crate for up to 7 hours.  There's NO WAY he could do that while awake and playing.  

Ok.  I was wondering if it was for sleeping times or not.

He doesn't seem to be grasping the concept of asking to go outside, in spite of our frequent trips, bell training, etc.  

How long have you had him, exactly?  Are you completely freaking out giving him lots of crazy praise when he goes outdoors (even treats, if necessary)?  He has to know that going outside is AWESOME!!  That's the first step.....after he learns that it is awesome to pee outside, he can learn that it is NECESSARY to pee outside!  One step at a time.

Yes, we were giving lots of praise and treats every time he did something outside.  He would come to us when he finished. 

There isn't really a way to train his bladder to hold it longer....you've just go to make completely sure that he understands that he is supposed to go outside.  Given that he was mistreated before, chances are good that he doesn't have a good foundation for potty training, so it's probably not fair to compare him to another 6 month old who's been given good solid training since 8 weeks (or 10 weeks, or whatever).

I would not with hold water from him unless he is having accidents in his crate during the night.  I did have to with hold water from my boy when he was first home because he was having issues not peeing in his crate....but I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

This is great advice for anyone wondering if their pup is getting too much water and that's why they go so frequently/so much. 

It was really nice that Rex was trained and wouldn't fuss when put in it.  He did pee in it, though, a couple times, and hadn't ever been in there more than 3 hours.  I agree that his past existence allowed him the luxury of going whenever and wherever he was and would take longer for him to get out of the habit.  It was working! 

We are currently working on getting Mugs crate trained.  I haven't had the heart to put her in there, yet, and have her whine and cry about it...   :bigcry:  But, I know it needs to be done. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:26:27 PM by BoxerWB »

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »
Update: Mugs likes to go in her crate, by herself without prompting or treats, lays down and goes to sleep!!   :cheerleader:

Wendy

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
yay mugs! samson still does not go in his crate without getting a cookie
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 02:20:03 PM »
Update: Mugs likes to go in her crate, by herself without prompting or treats, lays down and goes to sleep!!   :cheerleader:

Now, we have to work at closing the door and getting her to like it in there when she's awake...   :confused:

Wendy