Author Topic: Crate Training FAQs  (Read 10758 times)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Crate Training FAQs
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
Crate Training FAQs

What is a crate and what is it for? A crate, also called a kennel, is a cage which can be used for housetraining and keeping your puppy safe. There are two basic styles, wire and plastic. When used correctly the crate becomes a safe haven for your pup, where they are comfortable and away from harm. Confining a puppy in this way utilizes the natural instinct for cleanliness to speed up the housetraining process - a dog will not soil it's sleeping place if it can avoid it. Some crates are collapsable and easy to take with you on trips, and can be a comfortable, familiar area to your dog when he's in an otherwise strange place.

What kind of crate should I get? Choose a crate that is large enough to comfortably fit your dog at his/her adult size with an adjustable panel that can be moved within the crate, so it can "grow" with your pup. The pup should only have enough room to stand, lay down and turn around in.

For further information on types of crates, go to: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dog-crate/page1.aspx

How do I get my puppy to like his/her crate? Make the crate a positive place. Use toys, games and treats to create a good association for your puppy. Use the crate for short periods of time when you are home, and leave it in a high traffic area of the home so puppy doesn't feel isolated. Never use the crate for punishment.

When do I use the crate? Use the crate anytime that you are unable to give your puppy your full attention, such as overnight, while you are out running errands, or even while you're making dinner, in the shower, or doing household chores. When he's crated you can be confident that your pup is safe and not soiling the house. Remember that the crate should be used as a houestraining tool, but does not replace the actual training process.

How long can I leave my puppy in the crate? It depends on his age and training. The general rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold it's bladder and bowels (while at rest) one hour for every month of life, plus one. For example, if your puppy is two months old (8 weeks) he should be able to "hold it" for three hours. You can extend the time as they age, though it's not recommended that you leave an adult in it's crate for over 8 hours without a potty break.

My puppy cries in his crate! What do I do? You should never attempt to soothe or reprimand a pup when it's crying in it's crate. Cries are a plea for attention and should be ignored. Once the pup learns that crying does not get them attention, the behavior will extinguish itself. The noteable exception to this rule is a puppy that has to potty. Be sure your puppy has a chance to potty before you crate him, and do not leave him in the crate longer than his bladder allows.

Crate safety: Leave only durable toys and bedding in the crate, and only after testing your puppy to see what his chewing habits are. Never leave a dog crated with a collar on, as it can become caught on the crate and could strangle the dog.

Authored by Julia (BoxerWB) and Amber (Bers)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 02:47:33 PM by BoxerWB »
Amber

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
  • Tara...Leyla´s big little sis!!
Re: Crate Training FAQs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
My puppy did a poo in her crate n got it everywhere as she was so worked up and haven´t had the guts to use it again yet.
Leyla 6th October 2007 - 23rd May 2008

Forever in our hearts beautiful girl

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
Oh shoot...clean the crate and use it.  Unfortunately either your pup was left too long in her crate, wasn't allowed to poo or didn't prior to being crated or she just had an accident.  None of these are uncommon.

If you want your pup to be crate trained you need to use the crate...this actually is NOT cruel due to dogs feelling secure in a den like setting.

Puppy training is arduous and fun.  The crate is one tool I would NOT do without.  Good luck
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »
She was left alone for 30 minutes, we took her into the garden prior to putting her in the crate so that she didn´t do anything.

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »
Did she mess prior to crating?  This could take ALOT of time and waiting on your part.

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
We just got back from the shop and we had left her in her crate, we were maybe 20 minutes and she didn´t do anything! Could hear a lot of barking and crying as we got to the front door though!! She was so excited to see us which was really nice!

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:51:51 PM »
I would say that her timing was off...did not go when you wanted...went when she was good & ready. Potty training takes some time (sometimes a whole lot)...patience on your part makes it go easier.

PradazPurdy

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Another thing -- make sure you do NOT let her out of her crate if she's whining & barking. This will only inforce her to do so - knowing that she'll be let out. Make sure she's quiet & calm before you let her out. Ignore her if she whines/barks/whimpers. It's hard to do, but definitely worth it if you stick to it.
SARA ♥ Prada (1.14.07), Nico (3.29.07) & Chanel No. 5 (6.15.08) ♥

♥ Skin-Baby: Aidan William (3.19.09) ♥

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »
I´m sure the neighbours will love us!!  :angel:

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
How old is Leyla?

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »
Almost 12 weeks

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »
OK she should be easier to teach than a younger pup.  First if you don't already...make sure you go out with her when she is going...and stay till she goes.  I had to do this is a very nasty winter with my pup once...not fun!  Take her out (maybe read the post on bell training...really was great wehen I trained Phoebe) let her sniff around and smell, and tell her to go potty or poopy or whatever.  If and when she does this make a big thing about her doing it.  Maybe even a little treat...then wean off and a good old "Atta Gir" "Good Girl" etc should do.  After about 2 weeks I bet she will go when you need and want.

Second, she is capable of holding her bladder and other for 4 hours (1 hour plus hours based on # of months old...so she is almost 3 months plus 1 month makes 4 hours)  Increase the time allowed to be crated adjusting by age..  I wouldn't say she will, just that she is capable of it, so crating (which I understand you didn't do for long) show be kept to that - 4 hours for now.

When I was training Phoebe, I had a crate in the bedroom that I put next to my bed...this is how I trained her to sleep and use one.  Today she runs to her crate when she knows I am leaving...she is a smart cookie:-) Having a crate next to your bed lets her know that you are near when she cries...sometimes this takes a bit...but hang tough, she wikl one day calm down and use her crate as her private sanctuary (hopefully cuz not all dogs do...but most!)

I hope your crate is appropriately sized too, cuz if not she may use it for a toilet.  She should just be able to turn around in it.  If it is too big...she can mess in it and still find room to lay (hoping she didn't get it all over.

Ok enuff from me...hopefully you get the idea.  Re-read the original information provided by Bers...it is VERY informative...I may have even repeated some stuff she posted.

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
Thankyou, her crate is quite large, but i have nothing to section it off with. How old is your dog? When is the right age to stop them being in the crate?

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
I have 3...My oldest Goofy is not crasted...he was my abused rescued boy.
Ollie my rescued westied who is 4 is crated and so is Phoebe who is 15 months old.  I only crate when I am away, and I work part time so it isn't alot of time they are in the crates, but once in a while it may be 8 hours.  They do not sleep in their crate at night, that was only so I could get them used to being crated and of cours to keep an eye on the potty thing.

You may want to block off part of the crate with a board or get a divided for it if it is a wire one.  Really helps having the right size when trying to train.

HayleyDani

• Potty Trained
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
To tell u the truth i´m not too keen on this crate business at all! But if it´ll make life easier wĄth this little monkey i´ll do it! Do i need to put anything in the crate, i was putting towels in but she keeps peeing on them!