Author Topic: How Long Should They Sleep  (Read 1477 times)

bugsy

How Long Should They Sleep
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »
I posted this on the old forum, but thought I would re-post in the new forum.

We brought our puppy home a week ago. She's about 9 !/2 weeks old and I have a question about how long she should go at night before we take her out. We're using a crate and she definitely wakes up to let us know when she has to go out, but some nights she is getting up 3 to 4 times and we're trying to figure out what is "real" and what is her waking up and whining for attention. Is there any rule of thumb? We always take her out before we go to bed which is usually 10:30 to 11PM. Should we not take her out if she wakes up before around 2PM and just let her whine? We're struggling with separating the need to go from the attachment issue.

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
Re: How Long Should They Sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:30:43 AM »
Puppies should be able to hold it their age in months, plus one. So she's two months old, she should be able to hold it for about three hours. It depends on the pup, but this is a pretty good indicator of potty times.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »
Yep, the age + 1 is a good guideline, although individuals may vary and be able to hold it less or more.  3-4 times a night isn't unheard of for a puppy that young.  Just be sure when you take the pup out, you do potty business and put them right back.  This teaches the pup crying in the night gives them potty relief, not playtime.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

PradazPurdy

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:11:33 PM »
Yep, the age + 1 is a good guideline, although individuals may vary and be able to hold it less or more.  3-4 times a night isn't unheard of for a puppy that young.  Just be sure when you take the pup out, you do potty business and put them right back.  This teaches the pup crying in the night gives them potty relief, not playtime.

Agreed! Strictly potty-time! It is rather hard to tell if she's crying for attention and/or needing to potty. I usually listen to the type of barking/whining... if it sounds incessant - it usually is... I GOT THE NEED TO PEE!! *lol*
SARA ♥ Prada (1.14.07), Nico (3.29.07) & Chanel No. 5 (6.15.08) ♥

♥ Skin-Baby: Aidan William (3.19.09) ♥

Stolimom

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:56:51 AM »

Agreed! Strictly potty-time! It is rather hard to tell if she's crying for attention and/or needing to potty. I usually listen to the type of barking/whining... if it sounds incessant - it usually is... I GOT THE NEED TO PEE!! *lol*

Good point I use the bark tone as we'll if Stoli is doing the low pouting kind of bark or cry its a potty time moment..if its a loud pitchy bark its party time and she wants to play...
Delinda~Mommy to Stoli & Harley Girl

Ratfingers

• Vet Checked
  • ~Cash Butt~
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 02:46:09 AM »
A little late coming into this, but I also removed the water bowl 2 hours before bedtime, this way I would be more comfortable knowing that they were "emptied" before bed.
~Julie~
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

rac.cul

• Socialized
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 05:46:08 AM »
A little late coming into this, but I also removed the water bowl 2 hours before bedtime, this way I would be more comfortable knowing that they were "emptied" before bed.
[/quote

ditto
rachel

bugsy

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
Thanks for all the insight everyone.  We are keeping it too strictly potty time when we go out.  I've also started letting her bark for awhile if it's been less than 2.5 hours since she was last out.  She's doing better, although had an accident in her crate last night :(  I enlarged her space, but may need to take it back to what it was before.