Author Topic: Anyone heard of Boxerville's Boxer's?  (Read 6408 times)

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
Anyone heard of Boxerville's Boxer's?
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:37:39 AM »
I can not find a website for them.  They are located in Ohio.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Anyone heard of Boxerville's Boxer's?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
I have not.  However, the name makes me VERY leary.  Usually when they have cutesy names like that, they are BYB/puppy mills.  Boxertown, Boxerfarm, etc.  Is this someone you are considering? Or did a rescue you are looking at come from them? (you were one of the ones applying for a rescue, right?  there are so many!)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
Yeah, A lady from craigslist has a 14 month old boxer from there, she has had to move back in with her parents and needs to find a home for a male neutered pup.  she feeds a good food knows a bit about allergies, he is housetrained and crate trained well socialized visits the dog park on a regular basis.  She just cant keep him at her parents home.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:53:26 AM »
Well since it'd be a rescue of sorts, I wouldn't worry much about the source of the pup.  As a plus, she seems knowledgeable to some extent about health and has had about a year to see what issues he has, so you have some history.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »
Thanks Newcastle

I asked a few questions about her boxer and this is the response I received.  Edited to make sure nothing personal was in the e-mail

Sure! I'll do an overall rundown-

He was born on May 21, 2006 to a breeder in Covington, Ohio called "Boxerville". I am still in contact with the breeder, and would recommend anyone to them- they are absolutely great.

The last time he had a vet visit was in late March, and he weighed in at 56lbs. I'm sure he's a little heavier then that now because he's filled out with some muscle.

He is caught up on shots, and has been given regular doses of heart guard (the chewable tablets) and flea preventative. As far as his health history- he had a slight heart murmur when he was a puppy, but that has since corrected itself. He was neutered in January of this year. He also had two spots of dermodactic mange in March- there were two small bald spots on his back, but they have since filled back in and shows no other signs of it. (I guess it's pretty common with puppies up to a year old).

I have been feeding him Natural Balance fish and sweet potato dog kibble for about 5 months now. I like it because it's a holistic kibble and it's only a few dollars more expensive than other popular brands- it looks like he's slightly allergic to corn and other fillers, so some of the popular foods (purina, pedigree, ect) have given him the runs. He seems to love it also- it's the only brand he's liked to eat dry.

He is potty trained, and has been now since around October. He has had once incident in the past couple months, but that was mostly my fault. He had drank a lot of water at the dog park, came home and slept, and had to go immediately once he woke up- I didn't get to him in time. Other then that, I can't remember the last accident he had.

He has no problem being in his crate, and has never had an accident there. I try not to keep him in there more then a couple hours, and he does just fine with it. "Go lay down" is his command to go in his cage.

He's mostly been an indoor dog- he loves being around people. If he can see you, he's fine. I've had him outside and he'll usually just hang out around the back patio door so he can "check on you", haha. He certainly likes his outdoor time too, to be able to run and play. He loves the dog park- we are members at the new park in Lawrence, and he also goes to the Broad Ripple bark park. He is well socialized with both animals and people.

My situation currently is that I'm a 22 year old college student and I just moved back in with my parents for my last year of school. There is not much yard for him at all, and it's not fenced, so his only outlet is walks and the dog park- which I try to take him to every day if I can.  My parents also have an elderly cat who is very afraid of dogs, so it's not an ideal situation for him. I love him to death, and would love nothing more than to keep him, but at this point I think that would be selfish. I want to see him go to a home that has more time (and people) for him, and a fenced in yard would also be a huge plus. If the new owner would allow me visitation to take him to the dog park and whatnot, I would be very appreciative- however, I know that not everyone would be comfortable with that. I would also offer to be the free pet sitter when needed- evenings, vacations, ect.. Basically, my parents and I have no problem taking him for short periods of time... we just don't feel it's fair to him to have this be his permanent home.

He does well with other dogs- he loves to have a playmate. He's lived with 2 cats and does well not to chase them. He can be overly curious and a little too forward for their liking, but he's never tried to play with them.

Good habits= he doesn't bark unnecessarily. He's actually turned out to be a pretty good watchdog- he's very curious and notices when something not right. He's only barked when a stranger has rang the doorbell or comes on to our property. He's a very loving dog- he loves to be around people and is just a big lap dog. He's very silly- he makes me laugh every day with his antics. Also, he's pretty calm for a boxer his age. He gets riled up when a new person greets him and gets excited, but he usually calms down pretty well after a couple minutes. He knows basic commands- sit, stay, come, ect.

Bad habits=  He has a tendency to jump up on people- usually when they are first greeting him and get him excited. It takes a few times of saying "down" to get  him to relax, so I think he's getting better with it. Sometimes it's hard to decipher his whines- most of the time it's just because you're not paying attention to him, but other times its because he needs to go out. Really, those are his only bad habits in my opinion.

Hopefully I've covered everything. Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
Def. a BYB

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
Oh my, BYB for sure.. they refer to puppies as a "service" they offer.  Eww.   :brood:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:43:40 PM »
huh, that's the same Birthday as Bruce.  Not the same breeder though.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »
Classic BYB  . They are using a white and a check for breeding , and also advertise black puppies . One of the dogs also looks very poor in health . It just kills me to see what people will do for money .

:wall: :wall:
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Lauren

• Vet Checked
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »
wow, her e-mail to you almost sounds too good to be true!!!  I really hope this works out - he really does sound like a great dog, and he's gorgeous too!!!
Owned by:

Photobucket

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 10:13:24 AM »
Eww....run, run, run!
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 12:22:22 PM »
Lisa -  No worries, Hobo isn't contemplating purchase, but may be getting a dog from there from the woman who purchased him.  So no money going to icky place for 14 mo old pup in question
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »
Too bad this girl would recommend that place to people though. Hobo, if you talk to her maybe slip her some info on irresponsible breeding. If you feel like it. ;)
Amber

Busters Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »
To all who have posted on this:  I was looking to find the Boxerville Email the other day and stumbled upon this post.  Boxerville in Covington Ohio is NOT a backyard breeder.  They do breed from their home, however the owner does not have a job beyond caring for her dogs.  She is a responsible and caring owner.  Each dog has it's own kennel that includes, space to run and a shelter that is cleaned daily.  The property is several acres and it is all dedicated to the dogs.  If her pups don't sell, she keeps them as her own pets.  I am a resident of Covington and know the breeder personally.  We got our boxer from her 8 years ago and he is in good health, had a good temperament, and has been wonderful with our children ranging in age from 12-2.  I feel sorry for anyone who judges a breeder by their name.  I have visited other breeders for other types of dog and have found Boxerville to be the cleanest and best organized.