Author Topic: Abby up 3 times last night (Updated 7-20)  (Read 3124 times)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Abby up 3 times last night (Updated 7-20)
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:51:59 AM »
to pee! Ugh...I feel like crying I am so tired! She went out on the leash at 10pm and peed and pooped, then out 3 more times before 5am! I am taking a sample today to rule out UTI. I am thinking maybe I should be crating her at night to get used to holding it and not getting up? Is that a bad idea? I have the crate in the dining room right now, but I just know she will cry all night if I leave her there. Should I get another crate? Al is vry frustrated and I am getting there. Then this morning she was outside for 10 minutes and came in for breakfast, I turned around and she had peed on the floor! She was in for 2 seconds! No warning, so signs! I dont know what to do. I take her out every 1/2 hour and praise her when she goes.  What am I doing wrong? I am starting to have second thoughts and I am not usually like that. Maybe it's the stress of losing Ariel and having to deal with all this. Sorry so long I just need some advice, I dont want to give up on her yet.  :bigcry:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 08:19:31 AM by whitepupzoe »
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: Abby up 3 times last night (long)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:34:48 AM »
I think you absolutely should be crating her at night. After you rule out a UTI, then you need to get her used to sleeping in the crate and holding it all night. Yes, she will cry, but just like any other dog or puppy, she'll get over it. ;) It will be stressful, make no mistake about it. You might want to plan on sleeping on the floor next to her for a few nights just to keep her quiet.

As for her accident, I think you need to train her just like she were a baby. Taking her out every half-hour is good, but you also need to have her under constant supervision to prevent accidents.
Amber

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:42:27 AM »
Thanks Amber. I might pick up one of those soft crates to keep in the bedroom so she is close to us. I am gonna take a urine and stool sample to the vet at lunch to rule out a UTI.

I thought I was going back to basics with her, I guess I might have to just keep her on a leash in the house to be sure.  ::) :brood:

vroom

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »
it is very frustrating but hang in there.  I'm sure she will get everything under control shortly.
It is a lot for you to deal with but we're here for you! I think Bers has good ideas for you and Abby.  Good luck!
Dogs:  Bronco Valentine and Stella Moon
Cats:  Maximus MooMoo and Jack of Hearts
Forever missing Butterscotch - 11/4/95 - 7/08/09

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
Don't spend too much on a soft crate. I had a really nice one and used it as a temporary measure when Lucy first came to our house - the very first night she scratched her way right through it and ruined the damn thing! :furious3:

Talk about having second thoughts! :wall:
Amber

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »
Yeah maybe you're right about the soft crate. I will see what they have tonight when I go, we got Zoe's for free when we bought her so I dont even know how much they are. I told Al that he could sleep downstairs so he doesnt have to hear her crying.  :zzz:  :dizzy2:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »
They sell soft crates for $20 at Target, their cheapy "Boots and Barkley" brand.  If you don't want to invest too much but want to give it a try, that could be something to look at.  I haven't done overnights, but was able to put Dash in it when we first got him, for short times.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »
That wouldn't be bad - my soft crate (it looked like a tent, really cool) cost me $90!! :smash:

Regular crates are going to be around $100, maybe as low as $80 depending on what kind you get and from where.
Amber

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 09:08:09 AM »
Pet smarts brand "Bargain Hound" which is only found in their store is dirt cheap compared to others, The one I had lasted 7 yrs (until kaitlin started attacking drake when he was in it, then he ruined it ::) ) Also wal mart has some inexpensive fold up ones but it is hard to find the large ones there.
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »
I would crate her at night too...have you thought about the bell method for her for when she's not sleeping?
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 09:38:55 AM »
I am sorry you are having a stressful time with Abby.  I think Amber had a lot of good ideas.  I think it is more stressful for you because of Ariel.  Hang in there, it will get better.  Abby will be a great companion and playmate for Zoe. :2thumbsup:
Joyce

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 09:44:22 AM »
I would crate her at night too...have you thought about the bell method for her for when she's not sleeping?
Yeah, I have read up on that. But I think I need to get the basics under control first....or can I start now? I have never had a bell trained dog before, Zoe just scratches or cries when she has to go out.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »
I had the same issues when we got Goofy.  He peed & pooed in the basement/family room all the time!  Then I found out he was locked in the basement all the time so I put a baby gate up to keep him from going down.  He has yet to mess in the house after 4 years!

Now I don't know if I would spend too much on a crate...check out your 2nd hand stores to see if they may have one.  Lots cheaper!

I know that you are going through a tough time, first losing Ariel and now no sleep. But, in the end you will see that it will be truly worth all you pain and efforts.

Sending you strength vibes and Abby vibes to sleep through the night.  Good luck Kristin...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »
Oh and the Bell training method...it really does work...but if your little girl is as smart as Phoebe...she may ring it alot!!!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 09:52:26 AM »
Bell training is part of the basics, so I'd start it now - afterall, if she got good at not messing in the house, you wouldn't need the bell much  ;)

Buy some cheap bells or other noisemaker and hang them near the door to the yard.   Whenever you take her out for an on-leash potty, ring the bells, say your key phrase, give her a treat.  When she seems to "get" it, start trying to coax her to ring the bells on her own (I guide the nose to touch the bell, using a treat lure), then treat and key phrase and go outside.  Hopefully she picks it up and starts to ring when she needs to potty.   For the beginning stage, I'd be sure you do leashed potty visits, so she doesn't start ringing so she can go Kangaroo around the yard  ;)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12