Author Topic: What's Tracking?  (Read 1218 times)

Christen83

• Socialized
What's Tracking?
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »
What is tracking?  And what's the best time to start?  I read in some random article yesterday that it was great to start pups out as early as 8 weeks b/c it builds a great working foundation...probably couldn't find the article again if I tried but anyway....what is tracking exactly....and rally while we're at it  ;D

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: What's Tracking?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:30:55 AM »
What is tracking?

Tracking is a sport where you and your dog learn to work together to follow human scent through a field.

And one of my absolutely favorite things to do!!  I meet up with a friend who also tracks - usually at the crack of dawn while it's still cool, and we lay tracks for each other, and then go through the tracks together.  It's ALOT of really good exercise if you can stand being outside in the sticks for long periods of time in any weather condidion.  We track in rain and snow, often in heavy cover.

My current schedule now is that we lay X tracks for the X dogs, and then 2 TD tracks for Jakob, lay baby tracks for Anje, and then run Anje, run Jakob on track 1, run Josie, and then run Jakob on track 2 (his tracks are much shorter and easier than Josies - 500 yards for Jakob, 1000 yards for Josie) and the age of the tracks varies - Jakobs are 30 to 120 minutes old, Josie's are 3-4 hours old.

(although tracking conditions near you don't seem to be quite as extreme as ours)

And what's the best time to start?

As puppies, but any dog can learn to track - Anje started at 10 weeks, Josie at 3 years, Jakob at age 6.  Right now, Jakob and Anje are getting ready for a TD test (tracking dog) and Josie for a TDX (Tracking Dog Excellent) - she finished her TD December 2005, but I haven't had any luck with the lottery draws for the X test, I keep getting on the alternate list.

and rally while we're at it

Rally is a sport where you and your dog navigate through an 'obedience course'.  There are 10-15 signs (I'd have to read the regs) on the ground and you go through the course and follow the signs. 

Here's a description of the signs you'd see on a course - http://www.rallyobedience.com/RallyChart-AKC.htm .

Honestly, I'm not much of a Rally enthusiast - I don't train for it, and I only enter it at Boxer Specialties or my own obedience club, but Jakob has his Rally Excellent title (RE) and Josie has her Advanced (RA).  Some people really enjoy it though.

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:56:10 AM »
Renee, is there anything you haven't done? Holy cow, you're a busy busy woman LOL!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:05:21 PM »
The way I hear it described alot of the time, Rally is like "pre-obedience" because you can do more talking to your dog and encouraging, whereas obedience is supposed to be just commands and doing the exercises w/out verbal or physical encouragement during the course. 

I want to start Xena in Rally just to get a feel and see if I feel like I could get things like heeling down well enough to make it in obedience.  I probably won't do Rally w/Dash 'cause I think he'd be bored by walking in a circle, etc, and hoping to go straight to agility w/him (maybe after CGC, or maybe straight out of basic since his illness has him a little behind in training!)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:30:31 PM »
I'm still trying to decide what to do with Bruce.  I think he'll enjoy agility, and tracking sounds like something he'd enjoy as well.  I don't know that typical obedience or rally will be enjoyable for him but we'll see.

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:10:49 PM »
I used to have a golden retriever that I did tracking with. We certified for the TD test but I was pregnant then and busy after my dd was born and didn't do anything more after she certified.

I loved tracking. I was a in a group that got together once a week to lay tracks for each other when I was a member of an all breeds kennel club. Lots of fun!

Kerri
Jack & Freya