Author Topic: trainers in san diego???  (Read 867 times)

coquito125

trainers in san diego???
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:01:27 AM »
anybody know a good trainer in san diego?  choko is having issues with bolting out of the house, jumping and being scared of everything when we go on walks.  please help :wall:

~CLOWN~

• Socialized
  • ~Miss Molly Brown~
Re: trainers in san diego???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »
I think most of us are on the east coast. Sorry, I wish I could help! Good luck!
Kathy & Molly Brown 5/16/06

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 09:34:42 PM »
I'd check out your local All Breed Training Club. I'm located in Ohio, personally vouch for them, but I absolutely love my local all breed club. :)

http://www.aboci.com/
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

kimmer

• Socialized
  • What's not to Love?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »
I have a site at home ( I am at work right now ) and it lists all the certified trainers.  I will send it to you later today if you would like?  I am in Orange County so I am close..

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
I'd definitely check out your local breed club, and they may be able to show you to a local training club (I know our local KC and TC have alot of members of both).   It's important to find a trainer who's methods you are comfortable with.  With boxers, generally a positive approach works best - keeping things interesting (repetitive "drill" instruction bores their smart minds!) and show them when they did something right through some sort of reward - praise, treat, playtime, etc.

There are also things you can do at home to try to manage the problems you are having with your pup now:

Bolting/Door-Darting:  Start training a "wait" command and use it at all doors in and out (I include car doors w/this).  I start out training the 'wait' part by holding a treat in my hand... the dog noses the treat naturally, but you say wait and reward when the dog is waiting, not nosing your hand.   I then translate my "wait" hand signal (thumb over closed fingers, palm up) to the use w/doors -  giving the signal wait, then beginning to open the door (have the dog on leash so it can't dart).  If the dog tries to go forward, close the door.  The dog will slowly learn you can open the door all the way and he still has to wait for your release (I use "OK" as my release from commands).

Jumping on people:  Start folding your arms and turning away.  Give no attention, not even eye contact, until 4 paws are on the floor.  If the dog can focus on you, ask it to sit and praise quietly for sitting, if he's too excited, just do the ignore.  Instruct visitors to do the ignore or redirect as well and be prepared to manage him if he's too excited and continues to jump/paw.

Being scared - This is a tough one and puppies go through at least two stages of this (one very young, one later in the first year) and the most important thing is to not comfort them.  That only tells them they were right to be afraid.  Either work on desensitizing the dog to the scary thing or turn the scary thing into something rewarding.  For the latter, it'd be like giving the dog a treat whenever someone in a hat walked by - make it associate the scary thing w/something good.  Of course, that only works if the dog isn't so freaked that it can't take the treat.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12