Author Topic: Another Collar Question  (Read 2701 times)

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Another Collar Question
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:11:24 PM »
In the other thread, someone mentioned a prong collar.  What exactly is this (I think I know, but I'm not sure), and have any of you used it successfully?  What other kinds of training collars are there besides the electric ones Heather mentioned (I don't want to go that route).

I have a lot of trouble with Bella pulling on the leash when other people or dogs are around...she tries to hard to get to them that she chokes herself sometimes.

Advice?
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Another Collar Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »
I use a choke collar.  It's good for me because Beas goes to conformation classes. 

A prong collar is a collar that pinches his skin if he pulls...it doesnt hurt if properly fitted
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:15:59 PM »
How about a no pull harness?  I use a choke collar too for training, but then I use a regular one after the pup no longer dislocates my arm!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Little*Man

• Just Whelped
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »
I use a prong collar, and it works very well for Owen.  He doesn't pull on walks, so I don't use it daily.. But when I know there will be a lot of excitment/dogs around, I put the prong collar on Owen, and he behaves (most of the time lol).  If properly used, and you educate yourself on how/when to use them, they are a great, and they don't hurt your dog.
Bel - Owey's Mom :)

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
What are your guys' feelings on the combo collars from Lupine?

Here's a pic and description:

"A wonderful dual-action collar for walking or training and the only design for greyhounds and similar dogs that back out of regular collars. Rated the Top Pick by a national canine publication. Martingale-style with an additional sewn-in D-ring so it can be used either as a limited-slip choker or as a regular flat collar."

Do you think this would be a good collar for training Brody to walk nicely on lead and such?
Riley - 9/19/2008

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »

Do you think this would be a good collar for training Brody to walk nicely on lead and such?

I think that acts pretty much like the chain ones  but not as strong. I think Brody is too young for that, I would be worry it would hurt him. Maybe try the no pull harness (with the d ring in the front)like the halti brand or premier brand ones. They are about 25 bucks and are pretty adjustable so he won't out grow it in a week.

Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:25:51 PM »
I have the lupine, and I am not as impressed with it for training as I thought I would be, that is why I went back to a choker.  But the lupine does work when the pup is trained and you no longer need the choker or prong if you used one.

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 10:33:23 PM »
Maybe I will pick up a choke collar for Jax.  We really need to work on him walking nicely on a leash - all he does is pull and pull because he's not used to being on a leash. 

What would you guys suggest for Brody? I would like to get him started young so that way walking nicely on lead becomes a habit as he gets older.
Riley - 9/19/2008

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:43:45 PM »
If he is used to a colar, get the lupine to start off with, you can always get  a choker if it doesn't work for you, they are pretty cheap, not the lupine, but the choker.  If you don't like the collar idea, a harness works too,  Phoebe uses a harness or the lupine.

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:14 AM »
First of all, I wouldn't put a training collar on any puppy under 6 months of age. They are just too easy to control, you don't need a training collar and there are so many great ideas for training loose leash walking that don't include training devices, which I think can become a barrier between the handler and the dog, and also a crutch in place of teaching the proper behavior. But the trick is that you have to work at the behavior you want, because in most cases it isn't going to occur spontaneously.

As far as training collars go, my research leads me to believe that choke chains have the most potential to do harm. They are difficult to use properly and they exert pressure in one small concentrated area in the front of the neck. One study showed that dogs who regularly wore a choke chain had evidence of broken bones in their necks. A prong collar, while it looks worse than a choke chain, is actually the safer and easier choice, as it automatically puts even pressure around the neck when the dog pulls. The lupine collars I am not familiar with, but it seems they work on the same premise as the choke chain, although maybe a better design and safer for the dog, judging by the look of the thing.

But the most important thing to remember in any case is that these are training devices, not long term solutions to problem behaviors. I have used head and chest harnesses for training with my dogs, but for the most part have progressed to walking on flat nylon collars, although I confess that I don't walk my dogs nearly as much as I used to. But I found that the biggest factor was practice and consistency in training, not the device we were using.
Amber

Shaeward

• Socialized
    • Shaeward Boxers
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
In the other thread, someone mentioned a prong collar.  What exactly is this (I think I know, but I'm not sure),

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html

and have any of you used it successfully?

Yes, on every Boxer I've had. I usually start my puppies' formal, on leash ob training out on a prong (at about 12 wks). If I work as I should, they're off the prong by about 6 months of age. Some go back on it once they hit the teenage stage but it doesn't last for long if I continue to work with them as I should (honestly, if I'm not taking classes with them I tend to slack off on training a lot).

What other kinds of training collars are there besides the electric ones Heather mentioned (I don't want to go that route).

Chokes are considered training collars as well...but I'd much prefer a prong over a choke (I can't help to cringe when I see someone using a choke collar for training).

I have a lot of trouble with Bella pulling on the leash when other people or dogs are around...she tries to hard to get to them that she chokes herself sometimes.

I'd recommend getting her in classes. Not only will this be great for Bella but if you're thinking of using any training collar, you want to make sure you have been properly trained on how to use it before attempting to do so. Classes with an experienced trainer are perfect for this. Most do not use training collars correctly unless they've been taught by someone experienced in the proper way to use them before hand. I can't tell you how many times I've see chokes on backwards, prongs dangling around a dog's neck, improper corrections being given when using a training collar, etc. etc. If a training collar is not used properly not only can it cause harm, it's pretty much useless as well.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 11:03:09 AM by Shaeward »
~Alisha~
Shaeward Boxers
www.shaewardboxers.com

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:46:39 AM »
Just a quick comment on the Lupine combo collars - they are not really 'training' collars like chokes or prongs are, in that you're not meant to give corrections with them.  They're 'non-training training' collars like flat nylon buckle collars are, to be used with positive-reinforcement, non-compulsion training (i.e., no corrections).  I like the Lupine combos, because they tighten enough that the dog can't slip out of them, but not so much that they 'choke' the dog. 

Just remember: collars must be used properly, any collar has the potential to cause serious damage; and collars are tools, not crutches - the goal is to teach the dog the behavior even without the collar.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

LauniBug

• Moved On
  • Moved On
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »
We use the prong collar on all 3 dogs and it works very well. None of them pull at all anymore. I love it!

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »
OMG, i just searched the prong collar on google as i didnt know what it was, i was not expecting it to look like that. It looks like some sort of torture device.

I currently use the Halti Dog Harness designed by Dr Roger Mugford. You steer the dog from the chest, it seems to work for me.

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »
We used a prong collar on Zeus when we first got him.  It is a wonderful training tool if used correctly.  He got to the point where he just needed to have the collar on with no leash and he would do a perfect heel and 100% reliable recall.  I hesitate to use it on Bugsy though becuase he is so much more sensitive than Zeus.  The training methods do not need to be as hard as they were for Zeus.
Vicky