Author Topic: What to put in crate  (Read 1613 times)

shm87

• Canine Good Citizen
What to put in crate
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »
We made the mistake of not being strict about the crate with Bailey and we paid the price by having her  chew the furniture up. Don't wanna do the same with the new pup arriving soon.

My question is, what are you supposed to put in the crate? Is it ok to put a soft blanket in there and some toys? Are there any definite no nos in terms of whats in there? I've heard newspaper is one...is that right??

I just want to start out on the right foot with him and would like to be prepared in advance!
Sue~Bailey, Guinness and Finnegan

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: What to put in crate
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:04:58 AM »
The few times I have used a crate I have put in a blanket or towel and a chew toy or bone. Be sure it is something that the pup won't choke on.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

~CLOWN~

• Socialized
  • ~Miss Molly Brown~
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:59:40 AM »
It depends on the dog. Some can have a blanket, some shred them. I bought a little bed that fits right in the crate, so I don't need to put in a blanket.  I can put one of Molly's babies in with her and she is fine, she doesn't destroy it. She usually gets a Kong, maybe her cuz or a baby. I won't give her a bully stick or a marrow bone in her crate, just because I'm afraid she will choke. I know a marrow bone would probably be okay, but what can I say, I'm an overprotective Mama, I'd rather just give her a kong.
Kathy & Molly Brown 5/16/06

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:55:07 AM »
Brody got a blanket and some toys - not stuffed ones because he would eat those - mostly rubber newspaper toy or something like that.  We put a comforter in once and he shredded that and ate the stuffing - so he just has a blanket now.
Riley - 9/19/2008

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:25:19 AM »
I like to fill large, hollow bones (or kongs) with a little canned dog food and then freeze them, and I also love these "Busy Buddy" toys :

http://www.jbpet.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=518_560&products_id=1899

And fill those with kibble.  Anja is 'ball crazy' so she'll spend hours in her crate throwing the ball to herself.

My crate pads, because of Josie. are all "tie-down" indestructible (so far) pads, but Anja is not nearly as destructive as her mother unless they are crated next to each other and Anja is watching Josie mis-behave...

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »
I use a bed that I home-made to fit the crate (you can buy them, but they always seem kinda thin IMO) for Xena, double density foam and cheap durable fabric from Joann's or a similar fabric store.  Only ends up costing about $20-25 if you can get a good deal on the fabric. 

Dash is a shredder and will actually rip open the fabric and then start eating the foam... right now all he gets is a thin blanky (no blanky meant he started losing hair and getting rough on his eblows  :() - he shredded a couple towels I tried to use while he was still on meds, but the cheap microfleece blankie (one of those "just hem it" throw blankets from the craft store) he doesn't bother for some reason!

I wouldn't put in any toys that could be potentially destroyed/swallowed until you know for sure the pup won't eat them.  Dash only gets his kong, Xena used to get a couple toys, but went through a stage of fabric-toy-destroying and we had to leave that selection out of her crate for a while.  Kongs, as Renee mentioned, have the benefit of being food-stuffable so your pup has something to keep their mouth and mind busy!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
Patsy shred blankets/crate pads, too - but she doesn't eat them, so I figure she just likes to 'nest' and have given up fighting it.  She's finally gone through all my old blankets, so most recently I bought a couple of yards of clearance fleece (I think it ended up being like $5 with the sale and a 50% off coupon from Joann's) which I cut in half, then we were at Ikea and they have fleece throws for $3.99 apiece so I grabbed a couple of those.  They're cozy and washable, and cheap enough that I don't care if she tears them up.  (Another option is thrift stores - many of the old blankets she tore up were from the Salvation Army store, from when we bought a bunch for our last litter.)

As far as toys, my dogs only get things I know they can't chew up - heavy-duty Nylabones, bones made of the same rubber as Kongs, or Kongs (though Linus never got a Kong in his crate, because he had a tendency to get the big one stuck on his bottom jaw, and I didn't trust him with any smaller size).  I would probably let the girls now have a large-size Cuz, but a power-chewer may be able to get the feet off.  With a puppy, you can be a little more lenient about 'toughness' because they aren't usually able to power-chew - Nylabone makes some puppy bones that I've been comfortable leaving with puppies, but my adults are able to chew up.  (I don't give the edible Nylabones at all.)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

shm87

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
Thank you all for the helpful replies. I think I will definitely put a blanket of some sort and one of the Kongs we got for him in there. We have a few thin fleece blankets that I can fold to make a little thicker. They are easily washable too as I know he will have accidents...after all, he IS a puppy!

Thanks again! :)
Sue~Bailey, Guinness and Finnegan

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
When Bella was younger and not fully crate trained...I put soft towels in her crate because they were easily washable.   She has a bed in there now that she never has accidents in the crate.

I also a toy in there that she can't tear up and make into a chocking hazard (i.e. a kong, kuz, nylabone, etc).
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella