Author Topic: Over Protective  (Read 972 times)

JennP03

• Potty Trained
  • Mr. Momma's boy
    • Happy Dogs Daycare
Over Protective
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
Harley is very protective of us and our house, but sometimes I wonder if maybe he is a little to protective.  He barks at any noise, which is good to a certain extent.  He has started to worry me in the last few weeks though.  We have a lot of kids that come down to visit the dogs.  The other day one of the neighborhood kids was standing in front of the window and Harley was barking, pawing, and biting at the glass.  That kind of worried me.  He is great with kids. 

We have been putting the dogs on tie outs in the front yard to do their business, we are reseeding the grass in the backyard.  Harley gets very agressive and starts fighting with Tyson anythime someone comes by the house.  I have had to take him inside multiple time when people come over to say hi and I am out with the dogs.

Once we bring someone into the house he is fine, but I don't want him to get upset and hurt someone while they are walking by our house.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to try and control this behavior?
Jenn
Mom to
Tyson 3 year old fawn male
Layla 2 year old fawn female
ChiChi 10 year old Chihuahua

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Over Protective
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »
Sounds like Gooffy with the UPS man!  He has never bitten anyone, but boy he can scare them off with his behavior.  I have been working on it incessantly to no avail...be interested what others may have to offer for advice.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: Over Protective
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »
As the owner of an over-protective male boxer, I have to say that I have no easy answers for you. For the long term you can work to desensitize him and teach him alternative behaviors to use when he gets stressed about people coming to the house.

For example, have people visit often and give him treats - watch him closely to see that he isn't getting too stressed. You might need to start out having them toss him treats from a distance and progress slowly to more contact. Learn the early warning signs of stress and never push him past his comfort level. Teach him to go to another room when someone comes to the door and wait patiently (seems impossible, but it can be done - remember that food is often a very powerful motivator).

For the immediate time it's imperitive that you manage his behavior strictly. For the time being I don't think it's probably safe to leave him tied up out front. I wouldn't allow him to have much time unsupervised at all really.
Amber