Author Topic: Peeing on OUR bed  (Read 1256 times)

JennP03

• Potty Trained
  • Mr. Momma's boy
    • Happy Dogs Daycare
Peeing on OUR bed
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:41:56 PM »
I need help and suggestions please.  I don't know what to do.  We are having issues with Harley having accidents in the house.  The big problem is that he is peeing on our bed.  My first thought was a bladder infection.  He didn't have a high white blood cell count, but did have a high red blood cell count.  The vet said she thought maybe he had bruised his bladder.  He went on antibiotics which didn't really help at all.  This was almost two months ago. He was doing better for a while, but is now back to peeing on our bed.

He is fine all day while I am at work, but if I leave at night he will go on our bed, even if he just went out before I left.  Tonight he went out at 9:00 and by the time we had gotten home at 11:00 he had went on our bed.  Is this a behavioral thing?  What can I do to stop it?  This is the second night in a row that this has happened.  I am using Nature's Miracle to clean it up.  I think my husband is about ready to strangle him.

I know the easy solution is to keep our bedroom door closed, but I don't want him to start going somewhere else.

Help Please!
Jenn
Mom to
Tyson 3 year old fawn male
Layla 2 year old fawn female
ChiChi 10 year old Chihuahua

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
Re: Peeing on OUR bed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:42:10 AM »
Well , is your dog attached to you more then your hubby ?  He may be marking where you and your hubby sleep . He may be saying that you are his ...... Does he sleep in your bedroom / your bed  ?   My girl was not allowed to sleep in bed with us and she never will either .  She is allowed to sleep on the floor , but that didn't start till she was 2 years old . I wanted to make it very clear that she is not equal to us and that is our space and not her's to claim .   
 I have never had this happen to us as of yet    ::)  .  Hope I never will either .........  I would keep him confined , when you cant keep an eye on him .   If not he might move on to other things like your couch , plants and such .    If he is marking he needs to know that is not the thing to do . 

I of course have not gone through this myself , but I have had a really good friend that just went through this with her boy . 

Fingers crossed that he stops it soon . ;)

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 03:08:10 PM »
I dont really have any advice but Ellie did this once, i had no idea why she went on the bed and thankfully it was a one off but i think the marking thing is possibly correct.
Maybe dont allow him on the bed for a while until he realises that it isnt his to mark....

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:18:33 AM »
First, get a rubber mattress pad. ;) Then, go back to puppy housetraining basics. You need to limit his freedom and access to the house, watch him constantly when he is free in the house, and go outside with him when he potties so you can praise and reward him. Try that for several weeks and see if there is an improvement.
Amber

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »
Can you close your bedroom door while you are away?
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
Why not just crate him while you are out?
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:32:40 PM »
Any more accidents?

JennP03

• Potty Trained
  • Mr. Momma's boy
    • Happy Dogs Daycare
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  We haven't had any accidents since last week.  I have been trying to remeber to close our bedroom door when we leave.  They, Tyson and Harley, only have access to our room and any room downstairs while we are gone.  They are never allowed in the computer room or our guest room when we aren't home, so their space has been limited.  Layla still gets crated when we are gone.   I am also trying to remember to positive reinforce everytime we go out.

We can't crate Harley while we are gone, otherwise we would.  He wasn't crate trained when he came to us, and seems to be extremely against the idea of going in a crate.  I tried to crate him once, and he fought me the whole time I was trying to coax him in.  With the exception of his recent accidents we haven't had any problems with letting him have free run of the house.  He didn't have any accidents for the first five months he was with us.  I think that he has helped Tyson with separation anxiety also, so him having limited run of the house is a good thing.

I am not working my 9-5 anymore, so I now have more time to keep an eye on him.  Hopefully our bed won't be receiving a dog pee bath again anytime soon.
Jenn
Mom to
Tyson 3 year old fawn male
Layla 2 year old fawn female
ChiChi 10 year old Chihuahua

sundanz

• Weanling
  • My Mitch who rules the roost!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 10:21:08 AM »
Mitch peed on our bed once, while he was SLEEPING!  That was when he was about 8 month old. He's now 10 month old and hasn't done it since. When we're gone he is in a crate. He also peed in his crate once, and pooped once, both my fault for not letting him out soon enough. In his crate he has a baby mattress pad which fits perfectly for his size crate. This way I don't have to throw the bedding away, like the time when he pooped and I didn't have the mattress pad. what a mess that was...runny stools all over the place! Oh, the little stinkers... :dizzy2:
Mommy to Mitch, white Boxer, born 8-4-06
Mommy to Buddy, Golden Retriever, born 8-21-2002
Mommy to Phoebe, TB Mare
Mommy to Sunshine, Quarter Pony

Karma_Ball

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »
Welcome to my world... Karma pees on my bed when she's... well PO'd!!!!  I have had much success in limiting her time in my bedroom.  Bad fung Shui to leave the door closed but it was the best solution.  She does not pee in any other part of the house.  I have noticed that making her sleep on the floor, i know i'm a mean mommy, has helped.  She is only allowed on the bed in the mornings and only by invite.  Same with Gunther.  I also do not allow the dogs to play on my bed anymore.  I thought it was no big deal, and kinda cute, when i found toys stuffed behind the pillows.  But a trainer told me that Karma is making MY bed HER den... NOT COOL!!  So... best of luck to you!!  It might just be a pack leader issue! 

sundanz

• Weanling
  • My Mitch who rules the roost!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »
Welcome to my world... Karma pees on my bed when she's... well PO'd!!!!  I have had much success in limiting her time in my bedroom.  Bad fung Shui to leave the door closed but it was the best solution.  She does not pee in any other part of the house.  I have noticed that making her sleep on the floor, i know i'm a mean mommy, has helped.  She is only allowed on the bed in the mornings and only by invite.  Same with Gunther.  I also do not allow the dogs to play on my bed anymore.  I thought it was no big deal, and kinda cute, when i found toys stuffed behind the pillows.  But a trainer told me that Karma is making MY bed HER den... NOT COOL!!  So... best of luck to you!!  It might just be a pack leader issue! 
Mitch is only allowed on the bed by invitation only, usually only when we are in the bedroom too and he stands on his hindlegs asking to be lifted up. LOL.   Mind you, we have seen him jump up on the bed himself (if Buddy chases him )but that is the only time. he 'asks' to be lifted up! Spoiled? YOU BET!!! :smitten:
Mommy to Mitch, white Boxer, born 8-4-06
Mommy to Buddy, Golden Retriever, born 8-21-2002
Mommy to Phoebe, TB Mare
Mommy to Sunshine, Quarter Pony