Author Topic: shipping a puppy???  (Read 2439 times)

Amy and Ozzie

• Weanling
Re: shipping a puppy???
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »
I work for an airline, and I can't tell you the number of horror stories I've heard about animals being shipped.  I used to work at LAX and we had a few instances where they would open the cargo hold of the aircraft to find the dog had gotten out of its crate - the dog then is so frightened that it bolts.  Sometimes the dog is quickly recovered, other times it is found days or weeks later dirty and hungry, and sometimes they are never found.  One of the worst things I have experienced is when a flight came in and the luggage was being unloaded, they brought out a kennel with a little dog.  They sat it on the belt-loader until they were done unloading the plane.  And forgot it there until they lowered the belt and completely crushed the kennel and the dog.  Luckily, my manager was still in the office, because I could never have been able to tell the elderly woman that her dog had been killed. 
I would never consider shipping a dog, or traveling with pet if they must be put below the plane - can you imagine how frightened they must be?  If the dog is small enough that you can bring in onboard with you, that is the way to go.  Otherwise, I would recommend driving.

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
Jessica - I always found the prospect of shipping to be more acceptable when it was for responsible breeders. I think you are right that it is desirable and sometimes necessary for a breeder to venture outside of their drivable area to find the "right" pup for their breeding program, or the right match for their bitch. I just don't so much see a need for placing pet puppies that way.
Amber

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
I think that we also need to keep things in perspective here. . . Are there horror stories about things that happen to pets on airlines? Sure there are. But I also think that we need to keep in mind that there are horror stories regarding dogs involved in traffic accidents as well (which, incidentally, is much more common). I've heard of dogs being ejected from cars during accidents. I've heard of them being transported in wire crates (for perceived safety) only to have those same wire crates turn into doggie skewers when involved in wrecks. I've heard of thefts at rest stops when the owners stop to take one out to potty. (In fact, one woman had her car and dogs stolen at a rest stop only to have the vehicle turn up later torched on the side of the highway. Apparently the dogs were still in it when the thieves set it on fire. :'( ) Each time you get into the car with your dog, you are putting not only the dog, but also yourself in danger of being involved in an accident. The big difference here is that we hear about the car accidents much less frequently than we do the airline accidents.

The fact of the matter is that there are risks with anything, including transporting your pets. You do the best you can to do the research up front and find the best breeder you can. If that breeder happens to reside on the other side of the country and you can't seem to find a breeder near you who tests hips (Amber, I know you've been through this one yourself ;) ), I'd much rather take my chances with the great breeder shipping the puppy rather than take my chances on the less desirable breeder.

The other big piece of advice that I'd give to anyone thinking about having a puppy shipped to them is to PLACE ZIP TIES ON THE CRATE DOORS, and zip tie the VariKennel through a few of the areas in which the pins are inserted as well. This will help to ensure that no one opens the kennel while in transit and it's just another security measure against the crate popping open if dropped. If it's a real life emergency, the airlines can still cut the ties, however, it makes it much less convenient for someone who just wants to "cuddle the puppy".
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »
Just to clarify - I don't know that I would ever ship my adult dogs anywhere, but I don't have the same fears about shipping them as I do about shipping a puppy. I just think that it is awfully easy for a puppy to have a traumatic experience and have it shape them for the rest of their lives, and that is my biggest fear with shipping puppies.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

jeanathanh2o

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 10:00:59 AM »
Well I have to say that Mia was definately worth all the effort and wait!!  She is absolutlely beautiful!!!!

Mom to 4 and one silly boxer

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 07:49:15 PM »
Mia says thank you!  :blush:
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11