Author Topic: Soiling the crate (updated AGAIN)  (Read 1871 times)

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Soiling the crate (updated AGAIN)
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:00:53 AM »
While we are at work we leave Ellie in a pen, it is the same size as a large crate. She is never left for more than 4hrs in there.

Before we go out and before we put her in the pen she goes out to potty and i dont allow her back in until she has done something but for the past few weeks she has been pottying in the pen. Now i do not see a reason why she should be doing this because she always pottys before we leave.
She has pooed and weed in the pen every day this week - we have to clean up mess when we go home at lunch times to let her out and clean up again when we get home from work.

Its ridiciolous because she gets it everywhwere, in her bed - she is so messy

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:34:54 AM by linz and ellie »

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Soiling the crate
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
No ideas, but 2 times this week Phoebe piddled, once during the day (and someone was home!!!) and this morning @ 3 a.m.!!!

She hasn't messed in the house for a while (4 months) and now???

I wonder if it is the dreaded "teenage phase"???
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:34:07 AM »
I was wondering if it is just the dreaded teenage stage. Ant has got it in his head that she is doing it on purpose to get back at us for leaving her. Maybe it is seperation anxiety, i just dont know, she doesnt destroy anything she just poos and wees even though we make sure she goes toilet first  :angry:

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »
Sudden changes in bathroom habits tend to make me think of a health issue more than a behavioral issue. Two piddles in a week for a pup, even an older pup, isn't too concerning. But suddenly starting to have accidents daily like you, Linz, describe, is very strange. Maybe she's got a UTI, or isn't feeling well for some other reason. Is she scheduled to see the vet anytime soon? Has she been to the vet lately for shots? Is she on any medications? Is the poo solid or is she having loose stools?

I think first I would take a urine sample to the vet to rule out UTI. I'd also use a strong enzymatic cleaner in the entire area, including on her bed and clean the pen with it as well. Sometimes with chemical cleaners they can leave a residual smell that the dog can pick up, sending them the signal that it's okay to go in that area.
Amber

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »
I do not think she is ill and she has been seeing the vet quite a lot recently because of her acne then her sore ear. It is very strange, the only time she doesnt do anything is if i have taken her off leash in the park and she runs herself tired - therefore she will just sleep and all will be fine when i get home but if she isnt tired she poos and wees and messes up the newspaper.

I think you are right about giving it a good clean with some disenfectant - not that i dont clean it up properly but i do not use a cleanser that disifects therefore the smell will still be there for her senses. Is the pet cleaner any good for an area like this?

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 09:05:14 AM »
You don't want a disinfectant, you want an enzymatic cleaner. Something like Nature's Miracle. I'm not sure what's available where you live. If you can't find anything (you could always order online) you can use vinegar in hot water.
Amber

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 09:05:54 AM »
Okay, you have newspaper down there? Doesn't that kind of tell her that she's SUPPOSED to potty there?

The idea behind the crate is that it's a sleeping area only. You make it small enough that there's no room to potty in there, and that inhibits them from soiling it. If it's too big, or has newspaper in one section, it's more likely to make them think they can potty in one side and sleep in the other side.

I think you should remove the paper and make the whole thing a bed. Make it smaller if possible so she has just enough room to lie down and stretch out a bit. She won't want to poo where she has to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:10:21 AM by Bers »
Amber

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »
Oh my itís all my fault.
Now you have pointed that out to me I can see what I am doing and it is a big mistake putting newspaper in there.

I must admit, the pen is a little larger than a crate, we put her bed in there towards the left and we have always laid newspaper on the entire floor space just in case and just recently she had been toileting in there and i now know why.........

I know you are absolutely right because at night time when we go to bed Ellie has a duvet which covers the entire floor of the pen and she snuggles up to that, we can have a lie in without worrying about her toileting as she always waits for us to get up or lets us know she wants to toilet whereas during the day she has one of those plastic beds with her blankie in it with newspaper laid down....

Thanks Amber for pointing that out to me, i will get rid of the newspaper straight away and lets see......fingers crossed.

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
Good luck, let us know if that does the trick!
Amber

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 09:03:57 AM »
This problem is really getting me down.

I left Ellie for about an hour this morning while i went to do some shopping. I let her out to potty before i went, i lay the duvet down in her pen so it covered the entire floor so i made the pen into a bed. I got back and she had peed on the duvet and pooped on it too, i am not happy  :blank:

I do not know what to do anymore, do i show no reaction when i get in to dicover she has toileted in the pen?  ???

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 09:45:44 AM »
oh no.

maybe she's sick?

How big is the pen? Do you make sure to really clean it like with white vinegar?

also maybe you have to take it back to basics with her, like treating her when she potty's outside.

Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 10:01:20 AM »
The pen is abou the same size as a large crate, she used to be so good.
I dont think she is unwell as she isnt acting any different and still has the bursts of energy.

I am not too sure if this is because of seperation axiety, she is fine during the night as he knows we are upstairs but a soon as we leave her in alone we get back to all this mess.

I am going to buy some vinegar today and give i a scrub with that.

Maybe i should buy a proper crate?

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Soiling the crate (updated)
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »
I really do not know what more to do with this problem, i really am struggling to know why she is doing it.

I scrubbed the pen and walls down down with vinegar and hot water, i made the area smaller and made it into just a bed and she still poos and wees even on her bed and she lies with it there.
It is every time we leave her, even if its for an hour we get back to mess even though she just went to potty before we left. She is absolutely fine during the night, she lasts all night and i dont even have to get up early to let her out to toilet as she can hold it.
I am cleaning bedding every day, scrubbing floor every day, and i do not know what to do now, i have ran out of ideas........... :no:

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 01:21:36 PM »
Oh Lindsey Im sorry I dont have any advice for you. Do you think she has Separation Anxiety? At this point it couldnt hurt to take a stool and urine sample in to the vet just to be sure and rule out illness.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
I have just been looking up on the net about seperation anxiety and i think it could well be.
How do you cure seperation anxiety, will i have to go back to basics?