Author Topic: Ear Hematoma  (Read 758 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Ear Hematoma
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »
Anyone have experience with these? Do they go away on there own or do you have to have the ear lanced? Laila had a swelling in her ear flap a week or so ago, I assumed it was a bug bite as it wasn't real bad and didn't seem to bother her much. I had applied a hot compess a couple of times and it went away after a couple of days. Last night I noticed she was being a bit sensitive about her ear, this morning the swelling is bigger and about the same place as the first one was. It also seems to be very sensitive. So I put some lidicane on her ear this morning and was able to draw some blood from it before she got cranky with me. It isn't as bad now but it isn't gone.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
Re: Ear Hematoma
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Woah. Havent been on here in AGES.

So in my experience at the vet clinic, they can either be surgically repaired or sometimes we use Prednisone to help with the swelling. But they do take awhile to go down.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Ear Hematoma
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
Took Laila ino the vet yesterday. She has an ear infection, which of course is what led he to scratch and shake her ear to begin with. They drained the hematoma and she has ear drops for three times a day to clear up the infection. We are wrapping her head with vetwrap to hold her ear down. If the hematoma ones bak and doesn't go back down the vet said that surgery would be the next step. 
Of course this morning her ear has a puffy spot where the blood vessel is apparently still leaking. So I iced her ear flap and wrapped it again. We shall see what happens.
On a happy note, she had her yearly physical yesterday and she is in great health (other than the ear infection). Her gingival hyperplasia isn't much worse than last year and aside from that her teeth are in good condition.

Kristi

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Ear Hematoma *update
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Laila went into the vet this morning to have her ear quilted. We have had to drain her ear on a daily basis because the hematoma just keeps filling up. So hopefully this will be the end of it.

Kristi