Author Topic: Leaky Laila  (Read 3445 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Leaky Laila
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:10:33 AM »
I took a sample of Laila's urine into the vet on Friday for analysis. For the past few days Laila's incontinence has gotten terrible, to the point where she barely has any control even when she's awake. To top it off Viktor has been sniffing at her down there quite a bit.
The UA came back showing some protein in the urine and a small amount of bacteria, not much though. So we opted to put her on an antibiotic and see if that helps.
Laila also has an appointment for a complete 'senior' exam and workup on Friday afternoon. They'll take blood and run it through the gauntlet of tests. They will also do xrays if we feel they are needed for anything.
The incontinence has started to improve slightly, but she's still leaking for more than usual. But then like I told the vet, over the past year I have noticed that Laila drinks a LOT of watter.
So I am hoping that one of these newer incontinence medications might actually help her now.? we'll see.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Re: Leaky Laila
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:05 AM »
Sounds very similar to Edy . The Proin is not working anymore and she is on the highest dose allowed .
She had a full blood panel run last summer and all is good . She too has been drinking more but the vet said sometimes that happens with the medication .
We have an appt tomorrow to check out her mouth ( she has a lump in the front and it has moved her teeth over ) and to try a different medication along with another urine sample .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:34:26 PM »
Laila was on Proin at one time. It quit working for her after a couple of years. We had some success with parsley but she after a while that too seemed to not work.
Fingers crossed that Edy's lump isn't anything serious. Laila has some gingival hyperplasia along some of her back teeth that we keep an eye on.

Kristi

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
What a relief it is to come back from the vet with all good news for once! We ended up not doing bloodwork or any of that. The vet and I went over the finding of her UA and she did a very thorough exam on Laila. She didn't feel that there was anything to be concerned about. Laila's incontinence is back to what is normal for her, so she will finish with the antibiotic and then in a couple of weeks I'll take another urine sample in to make sure there is no more bacteria. In the meantime we are going to try Proin again and see how if it will make a difference with her usual leakage. Her heart and lungs sounded great, the vet commented on how good her teeth were- no tartar buildup or anything. She has the gingival hyperplasia around a couple of molars but the tissue is healthy looking. Laila's has some little skin tab type of growths (she's had them for over a year now) but they aren't big and haven't changed color or shape. So just continue watching them for changes, in the meantime they appear to be just benign skin tabs. She's in good fit condition and the vet said that if it weren't for the gray face you'd never know she was 9!  :) 
So aside from the arthritis in her toes she's healthy as a pup! :thumbsup:

Kristi

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »
I know I have posted about this product in the past, but if the Proin is no longer working, it's definitely worth a try! Porsha has been on it for several years, and it has completely solved the problem. I have been giving her a lower dose for awhile now, and she is still ok. :thumbsup:

http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900516090
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:17:36 AM by LOVEBUG »

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
No more bladder infection and the proin is helping quite a bit  :thumbsup: So things are looking great for miss Laila. Makes me happy.

Kristi

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »
Glad the proin is working  :thumbsup:
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
Great news!  :thumbsup:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel